Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 244657 times)

Offline squishyhippo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Squishy Hippo dot com
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
Was recommended to read it by a friend back when I wasn't doing much reading. I starting reading a lot (spending heaps on time on planes) and picked up the book after I had heard about the tv show. Like in most adaptations I feel the books are a lot better than the series, but the series did have it's own merits.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. -- Oscar Wilde

Offline AdamPepper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 14, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »

Yeah, it's on netflix.

Nice.  I've got some catching up to do!

Offline uncanny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
Wish there would be a rethinking of the series.  It would be superb to create the books into movies that are following a slightly different arc but the same main story thread.  This would give you a double bonus: knowing the book backwards wouldn't put a damper on the movie.

Based on the popularity of the series I found it hilarious that it got cancelled instead of improved.  Guess fan opinion is always the last factor to a studio exec's mind: look at firefly (more fans than stargate, yet only managed to get one season).

Offline WiseAss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 27, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
I saw the adds and loved it then my dad told me it was based on a book series went to the library after watching the first episode.

I think they should make the books into mini-series like the Discworld books that would be great (want the "blue" beetle in it this time).

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
I saw a couple episodes of the show, but honestly it didn't really hook me. I thought it was pretty good, but I'd seen way better television.
It was actually a few years later that a friend of mine was going on and on about the new Dresden book and how she couldn't wait for the next one. When I said I'd never read them, she immediately loaned me the first four books, and that's how I actually discovered them. I found myself a little more disappointed in the show after reading them.
So I guess I'm in the weird category of people who saw the show before reading the books, but reading the books was not a result of the show.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:02:44 PM by NeuroHeart »
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Chaffinch

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 01, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
I'd heard of Jim before the series came out, but hadn't read any of the books yet.  As a rule, I prefer to read rather than watch tv sometimes, so after I'd watched a couple of episodes, I wanted to see how close it was to the original.  I liked the tv series, but I love the books. :)

Offline andbob71

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 27, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Hi, I first discovered the books through the TV show. I heard of a new urban fantasy show on SciFi UK and wanted to know some background. However, I did not like the show, I heared that they had made significiant changes to the Dresden Verse which coloured my opinion.

Now, in 2011, I decided to try Storm Front as ever since I recieved a Kindle I have been trying to vary my reading. I loved Mr Butcher's style and went on a Dresden file marathon reading all 13 books. I have come to love the characters and awaiting what fiendish torture Mr Butcher has in store for them.
Andrew

Offline AutumnChild

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 27, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
I never knew about either the books or the tv show until one of my good friends suggested the books to me about a year ago. I loved them right away. Now over a year later I can't wait to see what else Jim has in store for Harry and company.

Offline Maveric

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 29, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »
I'd never read or heard of the books before the show.  I actually missed the first showing because I was doing some things outside.  My wife watched it though, and told me when I came in that I'd love it if I watched.  I immediatly sat down for the encore, and the rest is history...   ;)

Offline koyettsu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »
I watched the entire TV series really enjoyed it on Hulu, I found out the show had been canceled and decided I should check out the books.  Granted now that I have read the books I prefer the books but I am glad I watched the TV series first or I probably would have been upset with it. 

Offline AKO

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 10, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
how about folks who never heard of the TV show (because they never watch TV ::))? I discovered them by accident when I came across Side Jobs while searching the kindle store for something completely different...

Offline wardenkyre

• Lurker
  • DV wardenkyre V1.2 YR3 FR(M).07(0) BK+ RP TH+++ JB
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 11, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
It seems to me that I saw ads for the show, but never saw an episode until after I read the first four books, then I found the DVD set and bought it, being relatively disappointed. Lately, I have been hooked on the audiobooks. I just finished Turn Coat today, and loaded Changes... trying to resist starting it before bed tonight.
Some people are like Slinkies; Not good for much, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline tnu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 25, 2011, 02:40:01 AM »
Mine is a tricky case. I discovered the books and the show at roughly the same time. But under recommendation I decided to watch the show first so it wouldn't be nearly as jarring. Needless to say that when I did start reading Storm Front I was like "This certainly rings a bell".
"We must survive, all of us. Blood for me: a cooked bird for you. What is the difference?"

Offline TranQuil

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
While looking for inspiration for new reading material JB's Storm Front was mentioned in a 10 books to read in 2011 list I ran into. After reading a short plot description I was enticed and ordered the book. Well, let's just say I finished reading it in less then a week, which is fast for me if you take into consideration that I also spend a lot of time in the gym and maintaining my other hobbies. I got hooked and just bought Fool Moon in my lunch break to continue the series.

Funny thing is, while reading I did find it a bit similar in style to the Anita Blake novels of Laurell K. Hamilton(love her work) and just discovered that he was encouraged to do that in his writing class. And now also discovered that there was a tv show based on the books, which didn't get renewed for a second season. So none of your poll options suits me ;)

Offline Caskov

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
I don't know if this is a legit excuse, but I live in Denmark, and Jim Butcher isn't really well known around here, so I didn't know him before my boyfriend introduced me to the series, he had the season from a colleague.

Actually I found the first four on audio and I remember thinking, 'hmm, that voice's familiar,' until I realised it was James Marsters who read the books.

My favourite book store, also known as the book pusher, now has the Dresden Files, so things have lighten up, but I still prefer to order the books from Amazon.co.uk