Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 244674 times)

Offline maddogwillie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #480 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:32 PM »
I discovered the books after watching the show but I didn't start reading them because of the show.  Coincidentally, around the time the show went off the air, a girl working in my lab was reading a book on her lunch break and laughing out loud every few minutes.  I asked her what the heck she was reading and it was (of course) one of the books in the DF series.  She loaned me her copy Storm Front and I've been hopelessly addicted ever since.  I now refer to the series as "the literary form of crack" since it's highly addictive and not snooty enough to be cocaine :).  I liked the show okay but I wasn't so impressed by it that I felt compelled to run to my local bookstore.  For me, it was listening to that girl giggling every few minutes that made me think it must be a good series.

Offline dragonkeeper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 08, 2010, 12:07:27 AM »
I always liked shows that are similar to the show.  Saw that there were books.  HAD TO READ THEM ALL.  My addiction is reading aything and everything I can get my hands on I'll read it.  I'm trying to figure out if I want Side Jobs cnsidering some of the stories are in other books.   :-\

Offline Kellhound

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Sorcery 101
« Reply #482 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:02 AM »
So recently started the Dresden Files, but I found out about them two years ago. I'm a comic book artist and I was getting my portfolio looked at by an editor at Delray. After making some suggestions about the art, she read through the 5 pages of my current project. I explained to the editor what is was about and she immediately ask "Have you read the Dresden Files?" I hadn't even heard of it, so I asked around. None of my friends had read em, but over the next year and a half I kept running into it being mentioned in some way or another. Then someone else sent me this. Then I put it at the top of my audiobooks I listen to while working list.
I make a comic about an inept Sorcerer learning magic from an angsty vampire. You can read it at http://www.sorcery101.net/sorcery101/s101chapter1/

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 04, 2010, 02:57:44 AM »
My sister recommended the TV show and then read the books...have now gone through them all and am a solid fan...Jim's now on my list of authors to get the book as soon as a new one comes out!  Was never a solid fantasy fan b/c was not drawn into JRR Tolkien (interestingly Jim mentioned on a panel once that he thought the first book could have been improved by editing the beginning (paraphrasing here) 'two hundred pages of moving around'.  Perhaps that's what blocked me and I never got into that story.  Jim's stories have fantasy for sure, but the inclusion of more traditional science fictiony (the physics and chemistry of HD's world) and the mystery/PI stuff, all rolled into a great story with great characters & dialogue (Jim's just a funny funny guy and he's made Harry into one as well)--has made the DF series irrestistable to me. 
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Ranii

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 06, 2010, 12:39:03 AM »
I actuallly saw Dead Beat in the middle of a whole bunch of paper backs in a teachers classroom. Love within the first 2 paragraphs.
Coincidence? I dunno ::)
I never heard about the series before and subsequently began to look for the other books in the classroom. They were going to be unapppreciated if they would have stayed there and some of the paper backs in the rack were really banged up. I mean RIPPED TO SHREDS and halved .(The animals! as my history techer says)
 I took a couple and read them out of order. I know bad.

I watched the series afterwards, but the books are always better. Still I cant help picturing a blond Valerie Cruz when I read  ;D

Offline dgdavisjr

• Conversationalist
  • CGI Artist
    • View Profile
    • My ArtZone CGI Gallery Site
« Reply #485 on: December 27, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
As to the poll question, I'd have to answer "None of the above."
I first heard of Harry on XM Book Radio (channel 163) in a segment that airs from midnight to 12:30 am eastern time and again from 9:00 to 9:30 am called "Paranormal Voices". It featured the audio version of Death Masks. I started reading the books and found the TV series on line. Recently XM aired the audio version of Changes.

Offline smsluck13

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »
A friend let me borrow the DVDs telling me I'll like them.  I did, I noticed in the credits that they were based on a book series got book one read it in a night, got books 2-4 and went through those in a week.  let my friend borrow book one (he didn't know about the books) and within a month we've gone through all of them including Side Jobs, and are impatiently waiting for April.

Offline gypsymaria

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 30, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
People had been recommending the books/TV show to me for at least a year before I finally broke down and watched the entire season in, like, 3 days.  It started out a bit shaky, but it had potential, and I really enjoyed it by the end. 

When I started listening to the audiobooks, I was actually a little disappointed that Harry didn't carry around hockey and drum sticks (I thought that was cute).  I'd also gotten used to Bob, Morgan, and Murphy as their TV counterparts (and I'd REALLY liked them), so it was a bit jarring to switch my mental image of them to book-version.  Harry, oddly enough, wasn't as difficult to reconcile in my brain.

But the books won out in the end as being vastly superior in nearly every way (aside from, perhaps, racial diversity among the main cast, but I can forgive that), and I haven't looked back since.  I do wish that the show had continued and perhaps improved, the way it was going in the end.  There were some excellent and emotionally charged performances in those final few episodes.  I still heart TV!Bob and TV!Murphy lots. 

Mostly, I thank Syfy for introducing me to an excellent book series!   :-*

Offline dragonkeeper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 31, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »
I did get Side Jobs read the whole book again.  I can't wait til Ghost Story is out :(

Offline Burritoman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 21, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »
If I recall correctly I discovered Dresden Files back in either 2008 or 2009. My girlfriend worked at Toys R Us and I would wait for her to get out of work by browsing books in the Barnes & Noble across the parking lot. I didn't actually start reading them until last year, but now I'm hooked. Also I've read the differences between the show & books and I am disappointed that Sci-Fi couldn't of done a better job.

Offline Wookinstien

• Conversationalist
  • Lorem ipsum butts et mentiri non potest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 24, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
Ran into the TV series.
LOVED IT!!!

Found the Books
LOVED IT!!!

Bought the Audio Books
LOVED IT!!!

I enjoy being pithy... ;D

Offline RavenMorganLeigh

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 30, 2011, 04:28:30 AM »
I read most of the books before I discovered the TV show. Couldn't watch it.

Offline [ISI]William_9292

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 14, 2011, 01:00:34 AM »
I read the books after reading the Codex Alera series... then after about a year watched the show on Hulu... :D

Offline Haiiro

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #493 on: February 14, 2011, 02:12:49 AM »
Honestly, this is how it happened for me. The only thing was, I didn't actually watch the show first. I looked up the show online, discovered it was books first, and promptly got my hands on them. Been addicted ever since.  ;D

Offline mad mad mad monica

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 14, 2011, 02:19:43 AM »
Nope. Me ma gave me several of the books to cheer me up right before she passed away. I was hooked IMMEDIATELY and then got hooked on the show. Then, of course, they canceled the show and I had to get my Harry fix from the books alone. *sigh* These books are just about the only thing keeping me sane right now. I've lost so much over the last few years and when my husband died in December, it was these books (along with a couple of others) that kept me grounded enough to keep moving.

I took the new book delay pretty hard because the new book was one of the few htings I had to look forward to, but I'm patient, sorta. :) I'm looking forward to the new one.

As a side note: Anybody watching "An Idiot Abroad" on Discovery Science channel saw Karl go to Chichen Itza (sp) in the last episode. I was THRILLED to see the site where Harry destroyed the Red Court. Karl was less than impressed, but hey, there's no accounting for taste...:)
Never judge the strength of a spell or any supernatural anything based on assumptions. Assumptions occasionally turn out to have great nasty teeth... and when they don't, they tend to be greatly lacking in the sort of talent which can prevent one from winding up a monster's teething ring or... TP...