Author Topic: Local practioner seeks magical Sponsor for Fun and Profit  (Read 6814 times)

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
Local practioner seeks magical Sponsor for Fun and Profit
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »
Ok so I find myself in a dilema. I love the concept of the faerie knights and think the fully statted up -8 refresh version (sponsored magic, marked, item of power) would be ridiculously fun to play.

My problem is that my GM doesn't like to deviate from cannon of established works rpgs so most likely in his campaign the two knight slots are taken and there are no squires. So I have been trying to catalog other sponsors that would allow for a similar build. So far I have..

Monoc Corporation: Not sure if I could be sponsored without being a nordic looking female but it would be fun to receive internal memos about my debt from my "employer" and have board room meetings as compels.

Erlking: Probably closest to the Sidhe Knight in general but it would need some clearer definition of the magic and what kind of item of power he would give.

Schiller Park: Local park that I recently discovered was built over an honest to goodness ancient burial ground. Has been used as a meeting place in every World of Darkness game I have played so it would have the added benefit of messing with my fellow player who usually runs those games

So that is what I have so far, thoughts, ideas?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:35:08 PM by KnightFerrous »
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Local practioner seeks magical Sponsor for Fun and Profit
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
The Erlking is fascinating. Playing his champion, The Goblin Knight (that's what I'd call him), really intrigues me.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
I'd have to go with Fred. Think you could call any sponsored magic...Wild Magic? Some overlap with Unseelie, but he seems to be more in line with Mab anyway. Things dealing with the Hunt as far as his magic, obviously. Conjuring Predators for Thaumaturgy, perhaps?

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
Also, with Monoc, you wouldn't have to stick to the Nordic female theme. Consider that the book discusses how Lycanthropes could be an explanation of Nordic berserkers. Perhaps the only takes into account a certain percentage of the legend. Maybe they were led by berserker generals, marked or Sponsored by someone/something?

Also, I love the Erlking idea. The magic would probably focus on hunting and predation. For an item of power, look into hunting implements of medieval Europe and such.

The park sounds like a cool idea since it has some history in your gaming group. My wife includes the same damn bar/bartender in EVERY single game she runs. He's always a real prick and knows way too much...

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
I didn't think of the beserker aspect for Monoc, I was thinking mainly along the lines of a proto-thor so that is interesting.

Erlking and the Goblin Knight is by and large my favorite idea of them all, but when I think for his magic all i come up with are hunting... and tracking... and that's where my brain stops and for some reason it doesn't seem enough. For his badge of office I kind of want to keep the same style sword as the other two courts as those three abilities enhance my own "hunters instincts" versus granting what I should already possess. my only problem is I don't know what the Catch would be.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:55:46 PM »
Divination tracking spells that you can do as fast as evocation (*as* evocations) -- that's practically half of the suite right there. You'd be aces at finding stuff, as you noted.

But if you've read Changes
(click to show/hide)
-- I can see a lot of themes of ferocity and damage. I'm not even sure that the Erlking's Knight is necessarily a spellcaster -- he might be more about supernatural senses (for the tracking) and some elements of shapeshifting, like say modular skills and stunts abilities that let him configure himself to become the perfect hunter for his prey of choice.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
don't forget the
(click to show/hide)

Brian Blacknight
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:14:46 AM by Moriden »
Brian Blacknight

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
I want to make a Goblin Knight now, gotta go reread his Changes chapter first  ;D
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:21:39 AM »
don't forget the
(click to show/hide)

Ohhh, good catch. Probably too hot for the Goblin Knight to handle, but a lesser form of it...
Fred Hicks

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:31:22 AM »
Ohhh, good catch. Probably too hot for the Goblin Knight to handle, but a lesser form of it...

I'd treat it mechanically identically to other sponsored magic. if the knight can afford the cost he gets the benefit. for specifics. id use
(click to show/hide)

Brian Blacknight
Brian Blacknight

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 01:35:24 AM »
This is me, nodding lots.
Fred Hicks

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
Well I have offically told my brother(my GM) Fred Hicks wants me to be the Goblin Knight. After I just read the posts i got the mental image of:
 He finds a bit of hair or blood from his prey and holds it in his palm, it is consumed by green flame and he inhales the smoke, looking up with glowing red eyes he sniffs the air and says "this way"... which well, pretty much made it official.

Instead of the Sword i had an alternate idea for the item of power. Instead of the three inhumans from a sword he has a collar that on command transforms him a Hound of the hunt. (Beast Change, claws, echoes of the beast, human form, inhuman speed, inhuman strength) essentially a were-form in a box for 1 point refresh over the swords. Thoughts?

Edit: The more I think about it the more i'm leaning towards keeping the sword. Mainly because the image of a human with glowing red eyes clad in black armor keeping pace with the Erlking's stallion during the Wild Hunt is far too cool to pass up.

Wyld Magic: -4
Marked by Power(Erlking): -1
Sword of the Hunter's Call: -3
Being the free willed servant of the "Wyld Court"?: Priceless.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:10:50 AM by KnightFerrous »

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:00 AM »
We made up an amnesiatic Hound of the Hunt in one of the playtest games.  Had a special ability that allowed him to track someone and follow them anywhere once he got their 'scent'.  He also had the ability to see the echos of the past in a place.  Looked like your typical homeless person and was always forgetting what he was doing there.  He was, hands down, one of the favorite characters in those games. 
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Personally id go with a spear over a sword. but ultimately i cant see it mattering.

Brian Blacknight
Brian Blacknight

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »
Sorry to perform a bit of thread necromancy (ticks off lawbreaker on his character sheet)

A thought just occured to me while rereading things on the Erlking, an area of his sponsoered magic we over looked. Containment! What use is catching prey alive if you can't hold on to it?

And thinking about all this I just realized that the Goblin Knight is probably the best bounty hunter in the supernatural world.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties