Author Topic: Local practioner seeks magical Sponsor for Fun and Profit  (Read 6853 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Local practioner seeks magical Sponsor for Fun and Profit
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
Oh, nice, right! Binding is a big deal. Good catch.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
My only problem is i am unsure of what his Catch should be. Cold Iron? The trappings of either summer or winter? The natural attacks of prey animals(Anything wiht Hooves, Horns etc. even if it is a Gruff)?
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
My only problem is i am unsure of what his Catch should be. Cold Iron? The trappings of either summer or winter? The natural attacks of prey animals(Anything wiht Hooves, Horns etc. even if it is a Gruff)?

Well The Erlkoenig is still a fae so cold iron is the obvious choice. Hes not really portrayed as directly opposed to summer or winter so I'm not sure he'd be weak against either. Personally id add faith magic to his catches but that's just because i like the idea of "the horned god" being a left over from pre-christian times.
Brian Blacknight

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »
Well The Erlkoenig is still a fae so cold iron is the obvious choice. Hes not really portrayed as directly opposed to summer or winter so I'm not sure he'd be weak against either. Personally id add faith magic to his catches but that's just because i like the idea of "the horned god" being a left over from pre-christian times.

I am leaning towards Cold Iron as well, the only thing that stops me is the "official" knights don't have it under their Catch.

As for the Faith magic I hadn't even thought of that. Note to self: Do not introduce myself to Knights of the Cross, doubly so when my eyes are glowing red.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
I am leaning towards Cold Iron as well, the only thing that stops me is the "official" knights don't have it under their Catch.
You do seem to be correct, I'm going to assume that was an oversight since i have trouble seeing fae giving people things that aren't weak to "the bane" but barring an errata it just comes down to gm whim.

As for the Faith magic I hadn't even thought of that. Note to self: Do not introduce myself to Knights of the Cross, doubly so when my eyes are glowing red.

Nah the knights are amazingly open minded, as long as your not being ebil they're just as likely to talk to you as anything else. The source of there power might not like you but hes already won that war so can afford to be magnanimous and try to convert you by being all " oh I'm a good guy see... im not smiting you"
The above is entirely my personal bias and i in now way speak for the dresdenverse in this paragraph.
Brian Blacknight

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
You do seem to be correct, I'm going to assume that was an oversight since i have trouble seeing fae giving people things that aren't weak to "the bane" but barring an errata it just comes down to gm whim.

Well one argument for it is the Knights are supposed to be able to take actions the Fae themselves cannot. If it is something intrinsic in the Fae natrue that makes Cold Iron burn, then just being infused with their magic wouldn't confer that, but it would fall apart against the opposite magic (Summer counters Winter and vice versa)

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
Well one argument for it is the Knights are supposed to be able to take actions the Fae themselves cannot. If it is something intrinsic in the Fae natrue that makes Cold Iron burn, then just being infused with their magic wouldn't confer that, but it would fall apart against the opposite magic (Summer counters Winter and vice versa)

True, i just have trouble seeing fae magic of any kind protecting against iron, just like
(click to show/hide)
Brian Blacknight

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »
The Erlking is fascinating. Playing his champion, The Goblin Knight (that's what I'd call him), really intrigues me.
Herne (the Erlking) has a Champion ... the Hooded Man (once Robin of Locksley).
You could use that legend as a basis for a Knight of the Goblin King. How about a longbow as the Item of Power?

Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
Herne (the Erlking) has a Champion ... the Hooded Man (once Robin of Locksley).
You could use that legend as a basis for a Knight of the Goblin King. How about a longbow as the Item of Power?
That sounds... awesome. ;D
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »
I could also see Weapon Magic as sponsered evocation. Summer gets fire, winter gets frost. The Erlking's servents gets to have his spear mystically cleave, his arrows seek in the air after they are fired, and to sharpen his reflexes to dodge blows or catch attacks against him (Shields from hightened reflexes).

Sorry to perform a bit of thread necromancy (ticks off lawbreaker on his character sheet)

A thought just occured to me while rereading things on the Erlking, an area of his sponsoered magic we over looked. Containment! What use is catching prey alive if you can't hold on to it?

And thinking about all this I just realized that the Goblin Knight is probably the best bounty hunter in the supernatural world.

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 03:22:39 AM »
For "The Catch" if you need something besides cold iron, I was thinking that something to do with agriculture might be the bane of that which is wild (or wyld).  Some say that's the origin of the vulnerability of the fey to cold iron in folklore.  Iron was a symbol of human civilization, the tools that cut the trees and tilled the fields and domesticated the animals, and drove back the wilderness which the faeries ruled.  Can't think of a good symbolic representation of agricultural civilization at the moment.

Maybe something that represents the codified laws of civilization?

The pen? Ink? Paper?

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 03:53:16 AM »
For "The Catch" if you need something besides cold iron, I was thinking that something to do with agriculture might be the bane of that which is wild (or wyld).  Some say that's the origin of the vulnerability of the fey to cold iron in folklore.  Iron was a symbol of human civilization, the tools that cut the trees and tilled the fields and domesticated the animals, and drove back the wilderness which the faeries ruled.  Can't think of a good symbolic representation of agricultural civilization at the moment.

Maybe something that represents the codified laws of civilization?

The pen? Ink? Paper?
Cultivated land? An herb garden, a productive farm field...

Offline Logan01X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
i had been thinking about playing a goblin knight and then i found this thread and its real helpful. Instead of a sword as an item of power, i was thinking of a gun or bow, it just fits the hunter look i was thinking of. now inhuman strength works great for a sword, but not so much with a gun or a bow. what about something like inhuman perception that would kinda work like this:

ranged attack (guns, archery,ect.) gain +2 damage, increasing the stress dealt by two on a successful hit - as hammer blows from inhuman strength

when using a skill that works off of your senses (sight, hearing or smell) to modify another skill, it always provides a +1 regardless of the actual skill score - as superior strength

+1 when using a skill that relays on sight, hearing or smell. such as passive awareness and avoiding surprise from alertness, tracking from survival and investigation - as bruising strength

cost -2
does this seem pretty balanced?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »
I wouldn't add new powers. I'd just grab Inhuman Strength and a bow. Bows are absolutely based on muscular power, and I know of no reason you couldn't use them together.

Offline Logan01X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »
true, i just like the idea of kicking in a door and blasting loup-garou in the face with a shotgun of power loaded with silver buckshot shouting "Bad Doggy, sit!" maybe i watch to much supernatural...