Author Topic: This is a SPOILERS OKAY zone  (Read 123630 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
This is a SPOILERS OKAY zone
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:58:35 PM »
This board allows spoilers about the Dresden Files series of books, the television series, or the RPG.  This means that anyone reading this board reads it at their own peril.

All the same, when posting spoilers to this board, please make sure that your subject line makes it clear what you're talking about, and the fact that it contains spoilers.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Re: This is a SPOILERS OKAY zone
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »
On the same note, please do not put spoilers in the subject line...the main board shows the most recent topic title, so there's a possibility you could accidently spoil someone with the topic title, even though you're posting on the spoiler board.

This hasn't happened yet, this msg is a pre-emptive strike. ;)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:02:37 PM »
Added note: Even though this is a spoiler board, some people may not have read the new book yet. Please use the spoiler tags discussing anything about the new book that isn't in a new-book-specific thread. For instance, if answering a question in a general question thread, like "Bob's complete lack of arms and legs" with material from the new book, use the spoiler tag. Meanwhile, "Discussing the New Book, If You Haven't Read It, Keep Out. No, we really mean it" in the Subject Line means you don't need the spoiler tag.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:55:53 PM by Priscellie »
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
Added note: Even though this is a spoiler board, some people may not have read the new book yet. Please use the spoiler tags discussing anything about the new book that isn't in a new-book-specific thread. For instance, if answering a question in a general question thread, like "Bob's complete lack of arms and legs" with material from the new book, use the spoiler tag. Meanwhile, "Discussing the New Book, If You Haven't Read It, Keep Out. No, we really mean it" in the Subject Line means you don't need the spoiler tag.
I'm a little confused about why this policy is in place.  Given that the general guidelines for spoilers is
   * Did it come out this year?
    * Is it from a book that is currently only available in hardcover form?
    * Do I have any doubts about whether or not it's a spoiler?
it seems a little odd to have a spoiler-allowed zone, and then require spoiler tags on the new book in that zone anyway.  If we didn't want to discuss the new book as part of the conversation, we wouldn't have it in this section of the forum, right?

I mean, there are like three topics on the front page without a "changes spoilers" in the topic, so it seems sort of redundant.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »
I seem to recall that the problem is that some people read posts via a "show me the new posts on the forum" method, so the board itself isn't quite as much protection. But I'm fuzzy on this. Mickey?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:16:41 PM »
My understanding was this:

1) Titles. In either spoiler or spoiler-free zones, no spoilers in the title (i.e., subject line of the first post in the thread). This avoids the "unread posts" or "new replies" searches from showing spoilers right there in the list of threads found.
2) Body. Spoiler zone: no spoiler code-tags needed in posts. Non-spoiler zone: use spoiler code-tags for any in-text spoilers.

Or am I off?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »
What about for advance spoilers, of the Ghost Story variety? I assume we consider that lots of people won't think of the advance book hints and clues and such, and may not appreciate having that spoiled for them.
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Papageno

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:16:45 AM »
What about for advance spoilers, of the Ghost Story variety? I assume we consider that lots of people won't think of the advance book hints and clues and such, and may not appreciate having that spoiled for them.

I think those should be kept in the Spoilers zone without spoiler tag, what we have is a publicly available blurb, some conjectures and a lot of imagination...

Offline darchangel89

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
So, is it ok to talk about book 12 in this forum? Is that what its for? Cuz I really want to rant about it badly............

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »
yes . only in the spoilers zone. put [changes spoilers] in the title and don't say anything spoilery in the topic title if you create a new topic.
If you say something spoilery that's not in a [changes spoilers] thread ,blank it out with a spoiler bar.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:40:05 AM »
Question: In the case of a thread with non-specific spoiler warnings in the topic (e.g. "Possible spoilery stuff, What is Lea's obsession with dogs?"), how careful do posters need to be about warning about spoilers from specific sources? 

(Separate but related: if I warn for Aftermath spoilers in the topic title, do I need to spoilertag Changes spoilers?  Reading the former would seem to imply that the biggest events of the latter were known, but I also don't want to ruin someone's day with a smaller reveal not addressed in Aftermath.)

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
In case of short stories, it might just be best to err on the side of caution and include the closest book. Remember, spoiler tags are a courtesy for people who have not caught up on all the reading!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 01:56:04 PM »
Before SJ I tried to spoiler cover anything that was from the short stories that wasn't directly mentioned in the title because they were so non readily available.  I still do the same thing with Even Hand: 
(click to show/hide)

There are written guidelines that suggest that anything that's been in print for over a year is fair game, but if you feel that somoene reading your post might not have already read the info you are sharing, and it's not covered in the title, it won't hurt to cover it up.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline rh1ann

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 04:51:42 AM »
When someone posts something about spoilers I get a little spoiler box that says [click to hide/show].  Only problem is - when I click it, I get taken back to the main forum board.  Apparently that is not working for me, so how exactly am I supposed to use this thing?

*nevermind - found out that my script blocker was doing its job and blocking the function.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
Couple of questions for the brains trust? I was just adding Mickey's twitter account to my favourites so thought I would bring up a couple of questions, so blame him.

a) what is the pronunciation of Fomor. Is it foe-mor (rhymes with tor) or foe-more, which I read it as.

b) off Dresden but how do you guys pronounce Cthulhu. I can find no definitive pronunciation. I always say thoo-loo.

c) Has there been any thread where it has been discussed the dialogue in Dead Beat where Gard says "This is a mistake. He was destined to die in that alley,"
Marcone replies with "What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" Marcone asked.
"There will be consequences," she said.
Marcone shrugged "When aren't there"

It is implied but Gard does not say that it was Harry that was destined to die in the alleyway.

One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.