Author Topic: Another Thought on Mab's Proposed Union Between Harry and Lara..  (Read 5548 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile

It isn't because she wants a closer alliance with the White Court, I doubt that she needs this marriage for that.  No, what she wants is to drive a wedge between Harry and Molly.  Mab has come to realize that Molly and Harry together are more than a match for her.  She also knows it has a chance of getting closer after Murphy's death, so to prevent that she wants him to marry Lara.  I doubt that Mab wants Lara as her successor, and I doubt that Lara wants to be her successor.  All Lara cares about is her family's well being and power, she'd mostly stay out of Mab's way and use her if possible.  More importantly she might be able to neuter Harry in a "proud cut" sort of matter so while he will continue to have all the spirit he had before, it is less likely he will unite with Molly to be a threat to Mab and her over all plans.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Another Thought on Mab's Proposed Union Between Harry and Lara..
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
Except that Mab wants Harry and Molly work closer together, she told Harry once. It is as it should be between Lady and Knight.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:46 PM »
Except that Mab wants Harry and Molly work closer together, she told Harry once. It is as it should be between Lady and Knight.

But does she?  Really?  Yes, closer together as long as Mab has over all control.  She knows that in any dispute, Molly will always have Harry's back, we saw that at the end of Skin Game.  She doesn't like the power dynamic, another reason for her to tell Harry to kill her if something happens to her. The reason being not because she thinks Molly isn't ready or strong enough, but she doesn't like the direction she thinks that Molly and Harry would take the Winter Court.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 06:40:47 PM »
But does she?  Really?  Yes, closer together as long as Mab has over all control.  She knows that in any dispute, Molly will always have Harry's back, we saw that at the end of Skin Game.  She doesn't like the power dynamic, another reason for her to tell Harry to kill her if something happens to her. The reason being not because she thinks Molly isn't ready or strong enough, but she doesn't like the direction she thinks that Molly and Harry would take the Winter Court.
I think Mab is genuinely only interested in doing her job. Besides how would Harry killl Molly if he was not close to her?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »
I doubt that Mab really needs a marriage to cement an alliance, too. And I honestly can't wrap my head around why on earth would Mab want Lara as a successor.

I think that this might be about breaking both Molly and Harry, their relationship and their individual spirits. Maybe because indeed they working together could be a force to oppose her, her purpose or plan, anyway. But mostly, I think it might be about breaking Molly's spirit. It's clear that Molly is still hung up on Harry, and the whole thing with Carlos was already traumatic for her. And Molly is trying to remain human. But Mab probably thinks she needs to not make the same mistake she thinks she made with Maeve. She needs to make her successor strong, that successor is Molly. And for winter, that's through pain.

Mab needs to change both, Harry and Molly, toughen them up for what's coming, and that probably means breaking them, not apart, but from who they were before they took up the mantles, the people in their past and all of that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:44:47 PM by LaraBeck »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 06:50:32 PM »
The apocalypse is coming. Give or take a few years, in less time than it takes to write the books probably. Mab is preparing for it and keeping the white court on board is important as Vadderung knows as well, Freydis is not there by accident.

The white court can also be used to keep the mortals quiet so very valuable. I tend to believe Mab in this. The shit is going to hit the fan and she wants to be prepared for it. I don’t think she is going to waste time in useless schemes now.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 07:12:40 PM »
I don't think the marriage was necessary, but it's better than other means because it serves her purposes better. It lets her get two things done at once, it's efficient.

Because there isn't any scheme here, she's being very upfront. She wants an alliance, yes, and she's getting one, the marriage works for that. She wants her new vassals to grow up and toughen up and she's getting that too, the moral and psychological effects of the marriage work for that too.

It's like "The woman you loved just died, tough luck Harry, there's work to do", "The man you love is with someone else and there's nothing you can do about it, again it's not you, tough luck Molly, you don't get what you want" "There's work to do, your happiness doesn't matter, what matter is what's necessary".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:50:04 PM by LaraBeck »

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 08:36:13 PM »
Or maybe...

Mab has said she would sacrifice herself if need be to stop the Outsiders. What if she's trying to push Harry and Molly into being ready to replace her, so that when the day comes, she sacrifices herself, and they slot right in cause they've been planning to overthrow her (rather than as Harry is mostly plotting now, abandon her).

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
I disagree, I think that the marriage is very important. Remember, these are old beings, and they play by old rules. In their eyes, marriage is much more sacred and special than how many of us see marriage. This will form a near unbreakable bond with the White Court. The thing I do not understand is why the White Court? Yes, Lara is smart and powerful, but at the end of the day, the White Court as a whole is not that impressive (IMO). Sure they have sex powers and can do some cool things but compared to other nations; they are not that great.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 10:05:14 PM »
I disagree, I think that the marriage is very important. Remember, these are old beings, and they play by old rules. In their eyes, marriage is much more sacred and special than how many of us see marriage. This will form a near unbreakable bond with the White Court. The thing I do not understand is why the White Court? Yes, Lara is smart and powerful, but at the end of the day, the White Court as a whole is not that impressive (IMO). Sure they have sex powers and can do some cool things but compared to other nations; they are not that great.
They are great at influencing and controling mortals.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:52:51 AM »
The White Court is probably the most powerful of all the Accorded Nations in influence and wealth. They're not going to win a straight up magical slugfest and Ghouls and Black Court may be better one on one but there are more White Court out there and numbers matter.

They are not as big a military power, that is probably still the Formor, but the ability to live alongside mortal society seamlessly while still exerting subtle and effective influence can't be overlooked.

A White Court noble can go anywhere, without glamour, and charm local politicians and business leaders.

Their spies don't appear as any thing other than attractive and physically capable humans. And their allure in attracting allies is unmatched.

Greater powers will deceive themselves into thinking they are in control when they are often being manipulated.

Recruits from mortals are even easier. They pay well, Lara is drilling into them that they need to have a least an inner cadre of well treated muscle, and the lure of frequent and freaky sex with male and female models and athletes will always be there.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 01:37:50 AM »
I think it's more likely she wants to bolster Lara and promote her assumption of the open Queen of the White Court. What better way to do that than marry her Knight to Lara? Harry is a magical sledgehammer. He also is immune to Outsider influence, which the White Court seems to have a problem with. And if Lara is Nfected, Harry knows Mab can cure it.

As far as Molly, having her arrange the courtship and wedding is a way to encourage Molly to abandon her humanity, if only to spare herself from the pain of seeing the man she loves marry another, up close.

Mab never does anything for a single reason.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 01:44:56 AM »
The thing I do not understand is why the White Court? Yes, Lara is smart and powerful, but at the end of the day, the White Court as a whole is not that impressive (IMO). Sure they have sex powers and can do some cool things but compared to other nations; they are not that great.

I don't think you're putting enough currency on how smart Lara is. It's not just intelligence, it's that she doesn't get stuck in mental ruts like most of the other immortals. She moves with the times, and she's accumulated significant influence with the vanilla political leadership.

Plus, she was the architect of the Stokerlypse. That's gotta count for something.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 03:51:43 AM »
Plus, Lara was behind the entire plot of WK. She set up both competing WCourt houses to knock each other out. And while it wasn't her plan, she was the one who suggested they use the plan to kill magical women to try to kill off wizards and witches. And she knew that Harry would step in and stop them.

Lara has been planning like Mab for a while now and has probably caught her attention because of it.

Mab plans upon plans upon plans. She is wise but only sees the darkness. The cold calculating side of things. Lara does the same.

And there is one more thing that makes Mab and Lara very similar, family. They both love their family, but they also would sacrifice them for the greater good. Thomas may be the exception to that, but Lara could also have wanted him saved because he is the only surviving male Raith besides slave Papa.

Now, as for Harry and Molly, yeah, I can see Mab creating a wall between them. Mab wants for Molly to lose her humanity. She tried it earlier by keeping Molly away from Harry between CD and SG. She kept Harry isolated on the island, trying to make him not trust his friends and making his friends not trust him. If not for Murphy and the mind bond that Harry and Molly established in GS, he and Molly may not have restored the bond they have.

This feels like another attempt to push them apart, to mold them as she feels fit. While other deities like Mr Sunshine and Odin want Harry and Molly to push back, that they are what is needed for the future.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 06:38:53 AM »
I think that Mab knew how the chips would fall between Dresden and the White Council.  She knows that Dresden, on his own would be a big target.  He'd have absolutely no protection.  As Lara's husband he'd be part of a member of the Accords again.  He could go places that would have to respect the laws, which wouldn't be the case if he wasn't.  Also to target him, would be to invite retribution from the White Court.  They might not love him, but to openly target him would be a sign of disrespect that would force them to respond. 

Mab knows this and this is why she wanted him with her.  Harry is most likely in danger from other members of the White Court, but it's better than being targeted by pretty much everyone from everywhere. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:41:00 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.