Author Topic: Trap an Archangel foreshadowing?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Trap an Archangel foreshadowing?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 05:11:28 AM »
CAN
NOT
BIND
URIEL
SHHHHHHH...
You only could take advantage of his limits

"Please, Dresden," the archangel Uriel said. "It's a very nice circle, but you can't honestly think that it's any kind of obstacle to me."

This quote only says that that circle was not enough. It is entirely possible that no circle is good enough. It is also possible that it is theoretically possible but no mortal wizard is powerful enough. Or maybe it is possible. It would not be wise but that is another thing.

You can make your theories but unless you ask Jim and he answers there is no way to be sure.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 11:07:57 AM »

Except Uriel's tone to me sounded amused, a tone one would take with a child.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 11:37:04 AM »

Except Uriel's tone to me sounded amused, a tone one would take with a child.
Of course he sounded amused. It was a really nice circle but I don’t think it could have hold Mab either. It was just in his mind.

And it was totally unnecessary as well. It was just because Harry felt a summoning needed a circle. Pretty amusing.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
Of course he sounded amused. It was a really nice circle but I don’t think it could have hold Mab either. It was just in his mind.

And it was totally unnecessary as well. It was just because Harry felt a summoning needed a circle. Pretty amusing.

Not so sure it wouldn't have held Mab, didn't it hold the Er-King?  Forgive the spelling, remember the name, not the spelling..  Part of the amusement is about faith, I suppose.  A person of faith wouldn't feel they'd need a summoning circle to summon an archangel.  One of the lessons Uriel wanted him to learn in the next book on his spirit walk about.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 01:53:24 PM »
Not so sure it wouldn't have held Mab, didn't it hold the Er-King?  Forgive the spelling, remember the name, not the spelling..  Part of the amusement is about faith, I suppose.  A person of faith wouldn't feel they'd need a summoning circle to summon an archangel.  One of the lessons Uriel wanted him to learn in the next book on his spirit walk about.
With the earl king Harry had a circle drawn. A real circle.

With Uriel Harry was not able to draw a thing. It was a circle drawn completely in his mind, Without any visual aid. It was a tour the force and Uriel admired it but if the erlking had run amok in such a circle it would have been enormously difficult to keep concentration on everything.

Harry had to keep the circle in his mind and do everything else.

The circle is also a matter of trust. Harry does not use a circle to summon Toot anymore.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »
With the earl king Harry had a circle drawn. A real circle.

With Uriel Harry was not able to draw a thing. It was a circle drawn completely in his mind, Without any visual aid. It was a tour the force and Uriel admired it but if the erlking had run amok in such a circle it would have been enormously difficult to keep concentration on everything.

Harry had to keep the circle in his mind and do everything else.

The circle is also a matter of trust. Harry does not use a circle to summon Toot anymore.

Maybe he should?  I don't think he every drew much of a circle for Toot.  Yes, he drew a real circle for the Earl King, but the question remains, even if he had drawn a real circle, would it have contained Uriel? I doubt it.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 03:35:13 PM »
Maybe he should?  I don't think he every drew much of a circle for Toot.  Yes, he drew a real circle for the Earl King, but the question remains, even if he had drawn a real circle, would it have contained Uriel? I doubt it.
Uriel is seriously powerful but very restricted. Trying to contain him in a circle might give him some freedom to react though.

But the question remains is that simply because Uriel is too powerful for Harry to hold or is it impossibly because of some other reason to do with Uriel’s nature.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 01:39:52 AM »
Uriel exists in all dimensions, the ONE Uriel. I think it'd be child's play to abandon this dimension, pop to another, walk a few yards and pop back.

Mab exists in all dimensions too. But it's not the same Mab.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 04:23:22 AM »
Uriel exists in all dimensions, the ONE Uriel. I think it'd be child's play to abandon this dimension, pop to another, walk a few yards and pop back.

Mab exists in all dimensions too. But it's not the same Mab.
That complicates things but we don’t know how it exists in all dimensions and even if it is all of him that is in the circle. Maybe you trap some but not all that is Uriel.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »
That complicates things but we don’t know how it exists in all dimensions and even if it is all of him that is in the circle. Maybe you trap some but not all that is Uriel.

Sort of what the going fan theory is when you catch  Arceus in Pokemon. You can't actually put a literal GOD in a Pokeball, but what you can do is put a local manifestation in there, sort of a shadow of the real thing that it can reabsorb later on. I'd imagine that's what would happen if you were to try and put Uriel or one of the Mother's in a Circle.
Kyle Lowry
Everything