Author Topic: Trap an Archangel foreshadowing?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Trap an Archangel foreshadowing?
« on: April 29, 2021, 05:35:19 AM »
All the way back in Fool Moon, Harry talked about a specific type of magic circle.  One that is very difficult to do properly, but used to contain something huge like an Archangel.  Do you think this could be foreshadowing at all?  This Circle was mentioned once, and used improperly resulting in a woman's death.  Harry blamed himself.  Still it makes me wonder if it will eventually be used for someone......
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Trap an Archangel foreshadowing?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
I figure it's more a worldbuilding detail left over from before he decided to make anything angel-related one step short of omnipotent.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
All the way back in Fool Moon, Harry talked about a specific type of magic circle.  One that is very difficult to do properly, but used to contain something huge like an Archangel.  Do you think this could be foreshadowing at all?  This Circle was mentioned once, and used improperly resulting in a woman's death.  Harry blamed himself.  Still it makes me wonder if it will eventually be used for someone......

On the other Hand, when Harry calls up Uriel in Changes, he says something like "I mean, that's a nice Circle there Harry, but you don't actually think it'd do anything, right?" (Of course, that was just a mental circle, but still).

I certainly hope that Jim doesn't have something like an Archangel just get trapped in a circle like some common Pixie, that'd be pretty lame.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »
I figure it's more a worldbuilding detail left over from before he decided to make anything angel-related one step short of omnipotent.
But maybe that is just what he thinks because that is his story :-)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »
I've wondered, but Fool Moon Harry was basically a moron. Even in Summer Knight he thought the Queens were throwing around power that could rival the archangels to create the battlefield in the sky ... he had no idea what he was on about, at that point. It's a justifiable error when archangels basically don't use their power hardly ever, but I don't think he'd say that after meeting Mr Sunshine.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »
I've wondered, but Fool Moon Harry was basically a moron. Even in Summer Knight he thought the Queens were throwing around power that could rival the archangels to create the battlefield in the sky ... he had no idea what he was on about, at that point. It's a justifiable error when archangels basically don't use their power hardly ever, but I don't think he'd say that after meeting Mr Sunshine.
Uriel did not use his power after they met either.

But it was not Harry, it was Lea and she knows much more than Harry and can not lie:

"Of course," Lea said. "They exist in opposition. Each wields vast power, wizard—power to rival the archangels and lesser gods. But they cancel one another flawlessly. And in the end, the board will be evenly divided. The lesser pieces will emerge and do battle to decide the balance."
But this was Summer Knight about Mab and Titania. And maybe not all archangels are equally powerful.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I don't think it's left over. It includes one very important detail and let's you know that detail applies to a certain tier of being. More importantly, it lets us know that such beings exist. Those that are so blended on both spectrums they can have nigh inconceivable power,(and immortality?)but also be mortal enough to effect Fate itself. It has many nuances to it. Though I think the most direct reason it is put there is, it's the goal of the walkers and, it's what starborn have the potential to become. Something that straddles the line on both sides.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 10:33:09 PM »
Archangel, or fallen angel?
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 05:05:51 AM »
Archangel, or fallen angel?

could be!
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 08:43:37 PM »
30 coins, one circle, buried under Harry's floor. He already tried with just 1!

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 09:51:11 PM »
Of course, if it were capable of holding an archangel, why couldn't it hold Mother Winter?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 12:49:24 AM »

Uriel clearly meant that no magic circle was going to hold him if he didn't want to be held.  At least not one that Harry could make at that time.  Now these days, with Alfred's help, could he bind Uriel and stick him in a cell on Demonreach?  With the power of the Spear as well?  He might..  Same thing goes for Mother Winter, he did manage to bind a titian didn't he?

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 12:51:19 AM »
Plus, he gave Mab a gut check by threatening to imprison her, and she blinked.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 01:57:31 AM »
Plus, he gave Mab a gut check by threatening to imprison her, and she blinked.
Mab was on the island at that time.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 02:43:44 AM »
CAN
NOT
BIND
URIEL