Author Topic: Forced empathy  (Read 6650 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Forced empathy
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2021, 01:38:34 AM »
I mean I'm not entirely sure that it's "not dangerous" she has an incredible natural talent for Neuromancy. Molly on Darkside would be a fucking nightmare. The only reason she's salvaged is because Harry got to her so early.

It's also worth noting that during the trial Langtry has Peabody whispering in his ear, so it's probably not entirely him.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2021, 03:19:43 AM »
I mean I'm not entirely sure that it's "not dangerous" she has an incredible natural talent for Neuromancy. Molly on Darkside would be a fucking nightmare. The only reason she's salvaged is because Harry got to her so early.

It's also worth noting that during the trial Langtry has Peabody whispering in his ear, so it's probably not entirely him.
Not as dangerous as say corpstaker. A group of wardens could have taken her out easily, she only became real dangerous after the mantle.

Harry could have taken her out any time during her apprenticeship.

Getting her early was of course in the calculation. The longer they are set in their ways, the older they are as well, the more difficult it becomes.

And yes, Peabody was a factor as well. We don’t know how much but he probably made it worse.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2021, 05:25:55 AM »
Because that is what warlocks are, if we want to cure them we agree they are mentally ill. The compulsion to break laws even if it is not in their best interest can be seen as a mental illness.

I don't agree to that at all.  We are talking about supernatural energies warping their mind.  Difficult to apply human psychology when the supernatural is involved.

"The Blackstaff is what keeps that kind of thing from driving him insane and turning him into a giggling villain.  Yah you don’t go messing with black magic in the Dresden Files, it’s very very bad for you. " - Jim

"Use of black magic warps your mind" - Jim

I will admit though, that Jim has left it up for debate on purpose.

"As for violating the laws of magic themselves turning you good or evil, well.  :)  There’s something to be said on either side of the argument, in the strictest sense, though one side of the argument is definitely less incorrect than the other.  But it’s going to take me several more books to lay it out, so there’s no sense in ruining the fun. :)"
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »
I don't agree to that at all.  We are talking about supernatural energies warping their mind.  Difficult to apply human psychology when the supernatural is involved.
Not at all. The symptoms are pretty similar. Our tales of demonic possession are based on cases of mental illness.

And a lot of therapies are trying to change or to let patients better handle their personalities, in magical terms their nature.
"The Blackstaff is what keeps that kind of thing from driving him insane and turning him into a giggling villain.  Yah you don’t go messing with black magic in the Dresden Files, it’s very very bad for you. " - Jim

"Use of black magic warps your mind" - Jim
Like a mental illness or even just brain damage can do.
I will admit though, that Jim has left it up for debate on purpose.

"As for violating the laws of magic themselves turning you good or evil, well.  :)  There’s something to be said on either side of the argument, in the strictest sense, though one side of the argument is definitely less incorrect than the other.  But it’s going to take me several more books to lay it out, so there’s no sense in ruining the fun. :)"

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »

Problem, this "mental illness" requires lots of treatment, often cannot be cured, and those doing the treatment face fatal consequences if they fail to cure... So there are few "doctors and nurses" out there willing to take a would be warlock as an apprentice. 

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2021, 04:42:38 PM »
Well the first step has got to be removing the death sentence for the mage who tries and fails to redeem the youngsters. Having to bet your life on whether a troubled teen will make any further mistakes is a real nonstarter.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2021, 05:55:51 PM »
Well the first step has got to be removing the death sentence for the mage who tries and fails to redeem the youngsters. Having to bet your life on whether a troubled teen will make any further mistakes is a real nonstarter.

I agree, though I can see a couple of possible reasons for the rule.  One would be a power hungry wizard using a young warlock for his or her own ends..  As in I doubt that it would have bothered Justin much if both Harry and Elaine went warlock as long as he could control them.  It might also discourage a less competent wizard from taking on the task and failing, making matters a lot worse.