Author Topic: Harry will throw down with Leah - Jim  (Read 1985 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Harry will throw down with Leah - Jim
« on: April 28, 2021, 05:43:16 AM »
So apparently when Harry learns more about his mothers deal with Leah, he's going to throw down with her (According to Jim).  What do you think he's going to find out that will make him so angry?  I suspect it's that when his first born reaches a certain age, she will become Leah's property.  Maggie as Harry's guardian, may have been able to make a deal on his behalf, and did so to save him.

Another thought of mine was that Leah could have saved her, but would not agree to do so because she wanted something else from Maggie.

What do you think?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Harry will throw down with Leah - Jim
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 06:59:34 AM »
The fight might not happen now, Harry has matured in unexpected ways.
How soon will we learn the details of her bargain with Margaret? You've said before that it would probably cause them to throw down but when do they actually fight?

When did they fight?

When do Harry and Lea fight over the bargain Lea had with Margaret?

Oh. I don't know if they will. At this point I don't know if they will, Dresden keeps growing up on me and lots of things that I've wanted to do and I didn't necessarily get to do them while I was going along, I'll have to see.

You're saying Harry's gonna be too mature to pick that fight? Damn, never thought I'd see the day. Harry not taking a fight.

I so want to know what that bargain fully was, what did Margaret pay?

Oh we will get to do the details of that before the end. That's necessary, you're right. That's a good question, thank you, I'll have to show that now.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 07:40:17 AM »
The fight might not happen now, Harry has matured in unexpected ways.

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:49:27 AM »

You really do have to wonder how immature Harry was planned to be if his current book self is more mature than expected.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 05:07:12 PM »
You really do have to wonder how immature Harry was planned to be if his current book self is more mature than expected.
I can't recall his most recent looney tunes reference, but aye... you have a point ;)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »

My guess is it has to do with his acceptance for the world as it is, and that the Sidhe are who they are. 

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 08:13:10 PM »
First, I don't trust Jim when he makes such an open or bald statement.  Jim will mislead us if he thinks it will make the story read better; be more dramatic, when we finally get our hands on it.  Now, that doesn't mean that I think that the entire statement was a lie.  I won't be surprised, in fact I expect, that Harry will be upset when he learns about the details of Lea and Margaret's deal, but he will probably be most upset by how Lea interpreted the rules that governed her behavior after Margaret's death. 

There is no way to be certain about this, but it could involve Lea looking the other way while Malcolm Dresden was murdered and perhaps making a deal with his killer because she judged that Malcolm Dresden was incapable of teaching Harry or guarding him while he was a child.  In this version of events Margaret failed to include protection for her husband as part of her deal because he wasn't a player in the supernatural world and normally wouldn't have been targeted.  My reason for this guess is that Jim has also stated that Margaret Le Fae didn't make the best deal she could have made.

The above paragraph is just one possibility, there could be others.  Imagine if Margaret's deal for protection included any grandchildren, if the parents couldn't protect them.  Harry becoming engaged to Lara might make Lea believe that the clause of protection for little Maggie was know operational.  I don't think Harry would react well if he found out his Godmother was also his daughter's Godmother, but I digress.  Harry throwing down with Lea could be a verbal exchange leading to Harry trying to out maneuver Lea, leading to a brief violent confrontation broken up by Mab or by an enemy attacking both of them or Harry coming to his senses and realizing that he needs to control his anger.  Just because Jim says that Harry will throw down with Lea doesn't mean it will become a fight to the finish.   

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:49:04 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »
Let's see- what could the bargain be?

1) Give him her knowledge of the Ways when he's ready
2) Keep him alive- not only would that cover her whole Hound thing, it puts a different spin on Mab in Ghost Story- Lea's obligations are hers.
3) See to his education- which could be construed as murdering Malcolm and a deal with Justin

Now, what would be the payment?

1) Obligations to Winter because he's starborn? That has serious metaphysical weight
2) Some traditional item- his firstborn, Margaret might have lived but Lea "sucked out" what was left?
3) Novelty- never underestimate novelty to a creative spirit (even if an evil creative spirit)

Thoughts all?

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 09:51:12 PM »
I won't be surprised, in fact I expect, that Harry will be upset when he learns about the details of Lea and Margaret's deal, but he will probably be most upset by how Lea interpreted the rules that governed her behavior after Margaret's death. 

There is no way to be certain about this, but it could involve Lea looking the other way while Malcolm Dresden was murdered and perhaps making a deal with his killer because she judged that Malcolm Dresden was incapable of teaching Harry or guarding him while he was a child.  In this version of events Margaret failed to include protection for her husband as part of her deal because he wasn't a player in the supernatural world and normally wouldn't have been targeted.  My reason for this guess is that Jim has also stated that Margaret Le Fae didn't make the best deal she could have.

I agree that unless Harry becomes much more level-headed over the next book or two he is going to be pissed. I really like this theory.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 10:10:11 PM »
My alternate theory, and one I have posted in several threads that go back to the original board, is that Lea herself killed Malcolm Dresden, for the same reason I stated above.  Lea made a deal with someone; probably Justin DuMorne, to remove Malcolm because she realized that Harry's father could neither teach or protect Harry, but Justin could.  Well, at least until it would become necessary to remove Justin, which Lea foresaw.

Let's see- what could the bargain be?

1) Give him her knowledge of the Ways when he's ready
2) Keep him alive- not only would that cover her whole Hound thing, it puts a different spin on Mab in Ghost Story- Lea's obligations are hers.
3) See to his education- which could be construed as murdering Malcolm and a deal with Justin

Now, what would be the payment?

1) Obligations to Winter because he's starborn? That has serious metaphysical weight
2) Some traditional item- his firstborn, Margaret might have lived but Lea "sucked out" what was left?
3) Novelty- never underestimate novelty to a creative spirit (even if an evil creative spirit)

Thoughts all?

Margaret LeFay's payment may have been something as simple as giving Lea her memories just before she died.  Similar to the deal Lea made with Susan at Bianca's ball.

As far as what Lea was supposed to do in return, we have this interesting conversation in Summer Knight between Aurora and Harry.

"Do you know the original purpose of a godparent, Mr. Dresden?"

"Yeah," I said. I felt tired. "A godparent was chosen to ensure that a child had religious and moral guidance and teaching."

"Indeed," she said. "And your godmother, your teacher and guide, is the most vicious creature of Mab's Court, more than Maeve's equal, second in strength only to Mab herself."

I let out a harsh laugh. "Teacher? Guide? Is that what you think Lea is to me?"

"Isn't she?"

"Lea barely noticed me except when she thought she could get something from me," I spat. "The rest of the time she couldn't care less. The only thing she taught me was that if I didn't want to get walked on I had to be smarter than her, stronger than her, and willing to do something about it."

Aurora turned her lovely face fully toward me and regarded me with deep, quiet eyes. "Yes." Unease gnawed at my belly as she continued. "The strong conquer and the weak are conquered. That is Winter. That is what you have learned."

So Lea probably agreed to make certain that Harry received proper magical training, but the language may have been more open ended.  "Teach my child what he or she will need to survive."  That Lea got Justin DuMorne to do most of the magical training for her was just a bonus for Lea.  Of course, if Lea had directly trained Harry his experience wouldn't have been any better.  Judging by the way Lea trained Molly, Harry's training was gentle by comparison.  Also, Lea did teach Harry; after a fashion, what he had to do in order to survive; sort of like that Johnny Cash song, "A Boy Named Sue," taught it's protagonist to take care of himself.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:40:06 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx