Author Topic: Jim on Molly's future  (Read 8401 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Jim on Molly's future
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »
But in the case for Molly, she wouldn't want to see her loved ones die by either being killed or by old age. She has already stated that it bothers her that she will outlive all her family and loved ones. The only loved one who she wouldn't have outlived when she was (and I believe will be again) a human wizard was Harry.

So either way, fae or human, it is not something Molly wants to go through. And my guess is not something she wants to put on anyone either, like children.
You should not avoid love or friendship because it will be over one day. It will bother her but it won’t stop her and it should not.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 11:49:39 PM »
You should not avoid love or friendship because it will be over one day. It will bother her but it won’t stop her and it should not.

I agree.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 02:58:20 AM »

Your right. But it is a choice not to have children, to put a burden on a child before they are ever born.

I never was saying that Molly would shut herself off from the everyone. I am saying that her character wouldn't want to have a child only to feed them to the wolves.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 06:50:20 AM »
Your right. But it is a choice not to have children, to put a burden on a child before they are ever born.

I never was saying that Molly would shut herself off from the everyone. I am saying that her character wouldn't want to have a child only to feed them to the wolves.
Sarissa had a better life than a big part of humanity and she now has a job that seems to suit her. If Maeve was not that crazy she could have made more of her life than she did, Molly herself proves that. Sure there are wolves but Molly’s children would be protected while young and have a lot of choices later, if Sarissa really hated her life she could have chosen human several times. She surely wanted to be born. Molly would be a better mother than Mab even as Mab.

Molly’s children would still be privileged and would still have far better opportunities in life than most humans in history.

Yes there are problems but that should not stop her.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »
Molly is Dresden's soul mate.  That will be how it ends.  Not Murphy, not Lara, it's Molly.  He will save her in the end.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:05:41 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »
Molly is Dresden's soul mate.  That will be how it ends.  Not Murphy, not Lara, it's Molly.  He will save her in the end.
It does not really look like she wants to be saved.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 02:11:42 PM »
Sarrisa literally spent half her life in Arctis Tor, in the freaking heart of Winter. For her protection.

Maeve was the WL, and immortal being who shouldn't have had to worry about being hurt. But had jobs, that we have learned of, that have turned Molly's stomach. Maybe that is part of why Maeve quit doing her job.

Either way, didn't feel much like a life worth living. One of them a necessary job, but not one that someone would wish on someone else
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:18:15 PM by bigdangmoose »
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
Sarrisa literally spent half her life in Arctis Tor, in the freaking heart of Winter. For her protection.

Maeve was the WL, and immortal being who shouldn't have had to worry about being hurt. But had jobs, that we have learned of, that have turned Molly's stomach. Maybe that is part of why Maeve quit doing her job.

Either way, didn't feel much like a life worth living. One of them a necessary job, but not one that someone would wish on someone else
Sarissa had several careers outside arctis tor. She spent time there because she wanted to postpone her choice. She could have chosen human which tells you there were things she liked about fairy. It is nowhere said she spend all her time for her protection. She could not have had her mortal careers if that were the case. She spend part of her time there because of her deal with her mother. Part of her time was spent outside which indicates that the time spent in arctis tor was not just for her protection.

Maeve did not do her job because of mommy issues which were particular to her and her mother. There is no reason to believe that would be repeated with Molly and her children. Actually Molly is pretty good with children. Maeve was unhinged. Molly already proved that that is not a prerequisite for the job.

Again I don’t think Molly thinks her life not worth living. Everything indicates she does. I do not think Sarissa finds her life not worth living. I do not think Maeve is any indicator for what has to happen.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »

Sarrisa also became a nurse among other things, her and her mother went to movies and did activities together.  She appeared to be quite well adjusted when we met her in Cold Days.  Sadly that didn't happen for Maeve, I'd like to know what happened to the Winter Lady before her.  I don't think it was Mab, so for some reason Mab either had her eliminated or she died some other way.  Thus Maeve was way too young to take up the burden and built up resentment over the years.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2021, 04:50:45 PM »
Sarrisa also became a nurse among other things, her and her mother went to movies and did activities together.  She appeared to be quite well adjusted when we met her in Cold Days.  Sadly that didn't happen for Maeve, I'd like to know what happened to the Winter Lady before her.  I don't think it was Mab, so for some reason Mab either had her eliminated or she died some other way.  Thus Maeve was way too young to take up the burden and built up resentment over the years.
As a mother Mab was just not up to the task but children can react differently to that. Sarissa was just a better person.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »
As a mother Mab was just not up to the task but children can react differently to that. Sarissa was just a better person.

Yeah, and sadly some children just don't turn out well, even if they have the best parents in the world.  It's a mystery...

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 10:27:15 PM »
A mom who doesn't hide the fact that you're intended as weapons and tools from the day you're born is just the sort of thing to leave kids with issues even without anything fae related.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 03:05:17 AM »
A mom who doesn't hide the fact that you're intended as weapons and tools from the day you're born is just the sort of thing to leave kids with issues even without anything fae related.

It doesn't seem that Sarissa had that impression.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 05:38:07 AM »
Even if she had.

Quote from: Mab
“To fulfill one’s purpose is not to be a slave, my daughter,” Mab said. “And you are not free, child, any more than a knife is free because it leaves its sheath and is thrust into a corpse.”

Countless people have lived that life serving faith, country, family or some other idea. Most of them serving things far less useful, true or real than Mab does. Born to defend reality? It can suffocate you or make you proud or maybe some other things depending on who you are. Sarissa understands her mother way better than Mab understands her daughter.

Sarissa understood that as demonstrated by her speech to her sister just before the end. It is no accident that Sarissa is far more emphatic and Maeve was far more egoistic. Maeve was the center of her universe.

That is the paradox. That is why Molly is a better winter lady than Maeve was. It is not all about yourself. Not in winter either.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:52:18 AM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »
To quote Wikipedia:
The sarisa or sarissa (Greek: σάρισα) was a long spear or pike about 4–6 metres (13–20 ft) in length. It was introduced by Philip II of Macedon and was used in his Macedonian phalanxes as a replacement for the earlier dory, which was considerably shorter.

And about 40 minutes into this one Jim talks about how she intended Sarissa to be a weapon.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-wua9p-e40f53
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.