Author Topic: Jim on Molly's future  (Read 8405 times)

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Jim on Molly's future
« on: March 12, 2021, 03:00:19 AM »
In the Pennsacon WOJ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA6hcE5-YCA Jim says that
...Though Molly's sort of... her story path is not... it's not towards being familiar and human...

I gotta say, this has killed a lot of my investment in the books. I'm not concerned about Harry. He gets battered and bruised, but it's the people around him that always wind up paying. If Molly falls to Winter completely, I'm out. I will be Farcry 5, GOT Season 8 pissed. Harry promised to get out of Winter and bring Molly with him. Just like he promised to save Susan.

Harry is turning into the Destroyer. But it's his friend's lives he destroys.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Jim on Molly's future
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:22:35 AM »
I gotta say, this has killed a lot of my investment in the books. I'm not concerned about Harry. He gets battered and bruised, but it's the people around him that always wind up paying. If Molly falls to Winter completely, I'm out. I will be Farcry 5, GOT Season 8 pissed. Harry promised to get out of Winter and bring Molly with him. Just like he promised to save Susan.

I'm with you on that.. On season 8 of GOT as well.. In that sense Battle Ground has me worried because the big mistake the writers made in GOT is they mistakenly thought all the fans wanted to
see was bigger and bloodier battles, and skimped on the characters behind it all.  There was a lot of bang in the last two books, but very little light.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:30:27 AM »

Yeah it's a bit of a bad sign right after The Good People gave me hope for her being able to be Molly and the WL at the same time.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 04:35:29 PM »
It does sound bad, but... kinda wondering if it's gonna be the BAT where Harry can drag her back?

After all, being a succesful Lady, while it can include SOME better things, is still alien and inhuman. And Molly's struggle in that regard is going to be like Harry's but worse.

(though it does make me worry why Jim hates families; the basics for Molly resisting evil are certainly a lot better than for Harry, even if her basics for resisting self-sacrifice are worse).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 06:14:32 PM »

It doesn't mean that Molly's future is going to be dark, it just won't be human.  If she becomes the new Mab at some point, she will be Fae and think like a Fae.  However if her situation is different from the current Mab, it might mean just normal Winter. 

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 06:34:30 PM »
Ok, so my take on that comment is that she is going to be doing more and more WL duties that we can't know about (I take that to mean Jim has no plans on anymore shorts). But it doesn't mean that she will end the series as a part of Winter or even fae. The whole comment was based on the question of if there will be anymore Molly shorts.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 06:45:21 PM »

It doesn't mean that Molly's future is going to be dark, it just won't be human.  If she becomes the new Mab at some point, she will be Fae and think like a Fae.  However if her situation is different from the current Mab, it might mean just normal Winter.
There are probably more ways of being winter queen than Mabs. Molly would do an important job, she would have purpose. And of course a litter of changelings. I do not think she would be unhappy.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
There are probably more ways of being winter queen than Mabs. Molly would do an important job, she would have purpose. And of course a litter of changelings. I do not think she would be unhappy.

She isn't having any kids unless she's free of Winter. She would never want what happened to her, Mab's kids, or any of the children she is taking as tribute to happen to her kids. So a litter of changelings ain't happening

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
She isn't having any kids unless she's free of Winter. She would never want what happened to her, Mab's kids, or any of the children she is taking as tribute to happen to her kids. So a litter of changelings ain't happening

Just because Mab wasn't a very good parent doesn't mean that Molly won't be.  Yes, Maeve had issues, which the infection only made worse.. However Sarrissa appears to be well adjusted and sane.  So does that make Mab half bad as a parent?

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 09:47:55 PM »
  Just because Mab wasn't a very good parent doesn't mean that Molly won't be.  Yes, Maeve had issues, which the infection only made worse.. However Sarrissa appears to be well adjusted and sane.  So does that make Mab half bad as a parent?

Wasn't referring to Mab's parenting. Was just referring to what happened to them. That they were pretty much doomed from the start. Even if neither were the WL, they were still a target against Mab. They also are apart of Winter.

So just like Fix, Ace, and Meyrl back in SK, any child of Molly's if she were to have any as the WQ, they could be called to fight and die. And her reactions in GS says that she doesn't want to see her loved ones die.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 09:53:58 PM »

I wouldn't call them doomed, the job of Winter Lady and Summer Lady have to be filled.. Humanity depends upon them, life depends upon them. 

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »

I wouldn't call them doomed, the job of Winter Lady and Summer Lady have to be filled.. Humanity depends upon them, life depends upon them.

Right, but I was saying that whether or not they became Ladies, they were still a target to die. Be it because they were Mab's children and a target against Mab, be it they were called to fight in battle, or be it because they would be a part of Winter and a target for Summer.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 10:51:57 PM »
Well, the fae courts are done as guardians of the Outer Gates, per WOJ, by the end of the series. I don't know if that's a good or evil harbinger for our heroes. Jim might also be lying to us.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:48 PM »
Right, but I was saying that whether or not they became Ladies, they were still a target to die. Be it because they were Mab's children and a target against Mab, be it they were called to fight in battle, or be it because they would be a part of Winter and a target for Summer.
That is overly pessimistic. They can choose fae and have a longer than human life that might end horribly or they can choose human. After the apocalypse there might be centuries were nothing special happens.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 11:14:25 PM »
That is overly pessimistic. They can choose fae and have a longer than human life that might end horribly or they can choose human. After the apocalypse there might be centuries were nothing special happens.

But in the case for Molly, she wouldn't want to see her loved ones die by either being killed or by old age. She has already stated that it bothers her that she will outlive all her family and loved ones. The only loved one who she wouldn't have outlived when she was (and I believe will be again) a human wizard was Harry.

So either way, fae or human, it is not something Molly wants to go through. And my guess is not something she wants to put on anyone either, like children.