Author Topic: Mirror Mirror will bring Lord Raith to full strength theory  (Read 4390 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Mirror Mirror will bring Lord Raith to full strength theory
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:35 PM »
I know that it's been theorized by some (not sure about WoJ) that the binding Maggie put on Raith is now anchored to Maggie Jr as well because of the nature of the spell.  I suspect the spell doesn't work like that.  It's anchored to Harry, and Thomas, no one else.

So here is where I think Mirror Mirror causes the issues.  I believe with Thomas locked on DR he is no longer feeding the spell.  Harry placed him there to protect him from magical attack, and it would make sense that he'd no longer be fueling the spell.  If he were, then powerful beings on DR could reach out from there, and I don't believe they can.  Then in Mirror Mirror Harry will be pulled into another reality.  I think this will be enough to severe his connection to the binding.  With Harry, and Thomas no longer fueling the binding, it will lose power very quickly, and Lord Raith will be able to feed again.

I believe that when Harry makes his return from the alternate reality he will find that Lord Raith killed probably at least a couple of dozen of women.  Feeding heavily, and refilling his gas tank.  Lara will once again be submissive to him, and he will have taken control of the White Court.

This will create a major problem for Dresden.  His marriage into the White Court will mean he must respect certain laws, and in some ways be obliged to do what he's told by the leader of the Court, Lord Raith.  Harry will once again be in a really horrible position, just where Jim wants him.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror Mirror will bring Lord Raith to full strength theory
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 11:34:56 PM »
If he lives that long anyway, Lara might just decide that she can step out of the shadows once the marriage is done. Depends on if Jim wants to bring him back and off Lara (no way she'd survive a successful comeback after a decade of tormenting him) for the sake of including another villain in an already crowded couple of novels.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 03:35:13 AM »
I don't buy that... mortal magic isn't cut off. That's why Mortals are not meant to go into team in demonreach. And that's why Elaine's magic worked when they left Harry in the sinkhole. And Lara's father is just an afterthought. I believe they killed off Murphy and put Thomas in demon reach to get them out of the picture so other characters could get more story time and he didn't want to kill off Thomas right away.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:50:58 PM »
If he lives that long anyway, Lara might just decide that she can step out of the shadows once the marriage is done. Depends on if Jim wants to bring him back and off Lara (no way she'd survive a successful comeback after a decade of tormenting him) for the sake of including another villain in an already crowded couple of novels.

Good points.  I guess it comes down to is Lord Raith an enemy for Harry to face, or was he Maggie's to destroy, and we are simply seeing her handy work doing it's thing?

I can see both.  I'd like to see him full strength because I feel I only got to see a glimpse of him, and am curious about the character.  On the other hand I could see this as Maggie's vengeance being fulfilled, and it was her enemy to defeat.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:24:09 PM »
Mirror Harry lives so the curse of Mirror Margaret is still active. The split is at grave peril so we do not know for sure whether Lara defeated her father in the mirror verse.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »
Mirror Harry lives so the curse of Mirror Margaret is still active. The split is at grave peril so we do not know for sure whether Lara defeated her father in the mirror verse.

I'm pretty sure that he means that Harry being in another universe and Thomas being in Demonreach will free our Lord Raith, which, god I hope not, he was such a boring-ass villain.

Like, half of his Dialogue comes across like he was reading it from a list of generic supervillain phrase book.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 10:01:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure that he means that Harry being in another universe and Thomas being in Demonreach will free our Lord Raith, which, god I hope not, he was such a boring-ass villain.

Like, half of his Dialogue comes across like he was reading it from a list of generic supervillain phrase book.
Even if that were true I think that by now Lara by now has her claws dug so deep into her father that it hardly matters.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 11:10:19 PM »

If he does get his mojo back hopefully it's only an offscreen joke before he wipes himself out on the claymores trying to storm into Lara's office.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 03:53:03 AM »
I've always thought that he was too relevant to Harry's story to fade like he did.

If he lives that long anyway, Lara might just decide that she can step out of the shadows once the marriage is done.
But if others' speculation is accurate, and Harry gets pulled into another reality right before the I Do's, then Lara might be left jilted at the alter. And Raith, free from the curse, could go mad and start killing people with a touch. And everyone is left to assume that he was so offended that he declared war on Winter.

Sounds like great chaos for Harry to return home to.

But I have to think that Harry would have Thomas recovered by then, because both he and Lara would want him at the wedding.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 04:29:27 AM »
But I have to think that Harry would have Thomas recovered by then, because both he and Lara would want him at the wedding.

Just imagine Thomas, mingling at the reception, when a stranger walks up to him:

"So, you here with the Bride or Groom?"

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »
I've always thought that he was too relevant to Harry's story to fade like he did.
But if others' speculation is accurate, and Harry gets pulled into another reality right before the I Do's, then Lara might be left jilted at the alter. And Raith, free from the curse, could go mad and start killing people with a touch. And everyone is left to assume that he was so offended that he declared war on Winter.

Sounds like great chaos for Harry to return home to.

By now Lara is always fully fed and her father lacks the energy for a decent fight and is enslaved by his daughter. She watches him carefully because other vampires can try to use him as a pawn. She will kill him easily.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 07:03:39 AM »

I'm actually wondering if releasing a prisoner is as simple as giving the order, or if there is more to it.  A built in safety to prevent any potential warden from just releasing everything and destroying the world.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 07:06:56 AM »
By now Lara is always fully fed and her father lacks the energy for a decent fight and is enslaved by his daughter. She watches him carefully because other vampires can try to use him as a pawn. She will kill him easily.

I have to disagree here.  He had Lara under his thumb for like a century.  She overcame him once he was weakened.  If he's able to feed it's not like she's got a spell over him.  He is way way more powerful than she is, he just is all out of gas.  Fill up his tank, and he's back in charge.  She also wouldn't see it coming.  She thinks he's neutered.  If he's able to feed again, he could give his famous kiss of death to a single woman and be ready to fight.  I suspect the Valkyrie who's working with Lara could make a snack that could get him right back on his feet.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 12:48:06 PM »
I have to disagree here.  He had Lara under his thumb for like a century.  She overcame him once he was weakened.  If he's able to feed it's not like she's got a spell over him.  He is way way more powerful than she is, he just is all out of gas.  Fill up his tank, and he's back in charge.  She also wouldn't see it coming.  She thinks he's neutered.  If he's able to feed again, he could give his famous kiss of death to a single woman and be ready to fight.  I suspect the Valkyrie who's working with Lara could make a snack that could get him right back on his feet.
By now she might even have emergency measures in place to kill him immediately if necessary. I would have and I am not as paranoid as a white court vampire. Her father is still dangerous as a puppet for someone else.

And I am not sure he can even do that kiss in his weakened state now. Even if he discovered that he can feed again, which is not that obvious because he is probably locked up with no food around, storming in to confront his daughter would not end well for him. She is not only well fed she is also smarter and well protected by all sort of means including things her father would not expect.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 08:49:42 PM »
By now she might even have emergency measures in place to kill him immediately if necessary. I would have and I am not as paranoid as a white court vampire. Her father is still dangerous as a puppet for someone else.

And I am not sure he can even do that kiss in his weakened state now. Even if he discovered that he can feed again, which is not that obvious because he is probably locked up with no food around, storming in to confront his daughter would not end well for him. She is not only well fed she is also smarter and well protected by all sort of means including things her father would not expect.

I don't believe the kiss was a measure of skill, but an example of how strong his demon had become.  Vamps gain power over time by feeding.  He's been around for possibly thousands of years.

I'm sure Lara does have plans but the White Court is based on intelligence, and guile.  Lord Raith didn't get the top spot by being stupid.  He has to be absolutely cunning to have gotten to wear he is.  I bet he has all kinds of plans of what he'd do if he could just feed.