Author Topic: Murphy's background  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Murphy's background
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:16:56 AM »
1. So we know there was something in her past about Big Dogs that made her afraid of them. We know Rawlins once faced a "Thing" (I suspect Black Dog but can't find it anywhere) and was saved by her father Jack Murphy. That and Rawlins is one of the few people to get away with calling her Karrie. It might've been the same incident.

2. Her husbands.
-First husband was when she was 17, he was a bad boy with a Harley. Gregory Taggart about a decade older dies at 42 in Blood Rites.
-She had to sneak out to go to prom which she would've been around 17 and possibly dating Harley guy.
-Mama Murphy doesn't approve of divorcing her *second* husband implying she agreed with the divorce of the first.
-So my Theory is that Taggart was abusive, leading to Murphy's Martial Arts obsessions and trust issues.

-Husband number 2.Rich. FBI guy. Got together cause they were on the job, which later makes Murphy more hesitant to do the same thing with Dresden. Though admittedly this is fresh from the backdrop of her little sister marrying said ex. turning him into brother in law.
As psychologically analysed by ID Harry and summed up by Butters as " Wow. Catholics" (I'm from a large extended Catholic family so I don't take offence. It happens.)

As for Murphy's career well we know most of it as it happens in story. First met Harry when she fought a Troll as a Beat Cop got bumped up/down when she refused not to consider supernatural as possibility, so by the time of Welcome to the Jungle she was taking lead for the tougher investigations. The only other relationship we know of is with Kincaid, which on an ethical level Man Toy with professional assassin is a bit ick for me. (Then again Harry and Lea might be the same and I have less problems with that)

I know its a bit academic at this point as we're unlikely to see her again anytime soon.

Am I missing anything vitally important?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's background
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »
Murphy didn't know Kincaid was an assassin for hire.  Harry told her he was a mercenary; specifically Harry described Kincaid as a soldier of fortune type and those two professions are not automatically inclusive of one another.  So, despite Kincaid's dead pan jokes about killing the ambulance crew in order to use their uniforms and his cold blooded recommendations about how to attack Mavra's hideout, it's possible that Karin thought Kincaid was normally paid to fight and kill supernatural threats.  Harry also told Murphy that he didn't think Kincaid was entirely human, so that is a bit creepy.

Unfortunately, considering what happened in Battle Ground, I doubt we will ever get the short story Jim said he was going to write about Kincaid and Murphy's trip to Hawaii. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:41:13 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
Harry did try to warn her though she may have thought that was jealousy.

She's not stupid either, she could have figured it out before it was too late in Ghost Story.

WOJ somewhere is Murphy knows about Kincaid shooting Harry and would greet him with her p90

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »

Also up in the air, how did Murphy break her arm on her vacation with Kincaid?  Never explained, but rough sex was never ruled out..

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:50:37 PM »
Also up in the air, how did Murphy break her arm on her vacation with Kincaid?  Never explained, but rough sex was never ruled out..

I doubt that. Kincaid gave her a P90 as a souvenir of their vacation together. I would think it more likely that either some of his work followed him on vacation, or they stumbled onto something while they were in Hawaii.

I vaguely remember folks talking about this becoming a short story, but I don't remember if that was just a fan idea, or something that Jim threw out as a "maybe someday..."