Author Topic: Who broke Little Chicago?  (Read 10047 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Who broke Little Chicago?
« on: January 29, 2021, 08:47:10 PM »
Doodling on Reddit and it occurred to me to ask who broke Little Chicago?  Bob recognizes the fault after the fact. Did Lash break it? Did she manipulate Harry to do so?  It would explain why Uriel moves Michael around at the start of Proven Guilty. And it would explain why Lash had a panic attack when Harry went to use LC. Could Uriel have warned Mab that LC was hosed and going to kill Harry?

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Who broke Little Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »
Nobody broke Little Chicago Little Chicago was damaged through a mental attack from cowl. Before that little Chicago wasn't finished or had like a wavelength not finished or connected or something like that. But Bob noticed that something was wrong and it was fixed but not buy them and it should have killed Harry if it was used the way it was

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 11:19:18 PM »
Little Chicago wasn't sabotaged, they screwed up along the way when designing it and didn't notice until someone came in and fixed it while they were gone.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 12:42:32 AM »
Why did Uriel send Michael away at the start of Proven Guilty? what act was he balancing?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 12:57:53 AM »
Why did Uriel send Michael away at the start of Proven Guilty? what act was he balancing?
Michael going away at the start of PG was his standard job as a knight. He helped out against the vampire attack on the camp and then at Harry's urging he went back the same way as the WC and saved them from the second assault with outsiders. Nothing unusual.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 02:38:27 AM »
Did you even read the books LOL

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 03:20:52 AM »
Little Chicago wasn't sabotaged, they screwed up along the way when designing it and didn't notice until someone came in and fixed it while they were gone.
hadn't he used it for a couple of minor things previously without it blowing up in his face? I always thought the build up came later even if it was natural (which I don't think it was)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 04:12:46 AM »
hadn't he used it for a couple of minor things previously without it blowing up in his face? I always thought the build up came later even if it was natural (which I don't think it was)
Quote from: Proven Guilty Chapter 6
“And you want to try to use Little Chicago to find it?”

“Maybe,” I said. “Do you think it will work?”

“I think that the Wright Brothers tested their new stuff at Kitty Hawk instead of trying it over the Grand Canyon for a reason,” Bob said. “Specifically, because if the plane folded due to flawed design, they might survive it at Kitty Hawk.”

“Or maybe they couldn’t afford to travel,” I said. “Besides, how dangerous could it be?”

Bob stared at me for a second. Then he said, “You’ve been pouring energy into this thing every night for six months, Harry, and right now it’s holding about three hundred times the amount of energy that kinetic ring you wear will contain.”

I blinked. At full power, that ring could almost knock a car onto its side. Three hundred times that kind of energy translated to… well, something I’d rather not experience within the cramped confines of the lab. “It’s got that much in it?”

“Yes, and you haven’t tested it yet. If you’ve screwed up some of the harmonics, it could blow up in your face, worst-case scenario. Best case, you only blow out the project and set yourself back to ground zero.”

“To square one,” I corrected him. “Square one is the beginning of a project. Ground zero is the area immediately under a bomb blast.”

“One may tend to resemble the other,” Bob said sourly.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »
I don't know that I believe it but nothing in the text says that it couldn't be true. The biggest factor in my thinking is Lash's response when Harry does use it. It's the first and only time that, once he is aware of her, that she obstructs him. She is without a doubt able to twist what he sees in real time.  And what's the point of the passage?  What is Jim trying to say.
Did you even read the books LOL
Nah, I just make my arguments from the text on the book jackets.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »
The construction of Little Chicago required Harry to gather actual peices of Chicago to form the connection.  Perhaps he gathered something that was designed with some form of protections, and didn't realize it.  Like a magical trojan horse.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:48 PM »
The big thing to me about it is, Bob didn't notice it, and then suddenly hindsight 20/20 he does. Something about that just isn't right..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 06:47:14 PM »
The big thing to me about it is, Bob didn't notice it, and then suddenly hindsight 20/20 he does. Something about that just isn't right..

Bob did warn Harry about the dangers.  This implies that he is capable of missing things.  After it blew up he was able to identify the issue.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:00:56 PM »
Lash has a hissy fit after the fact when they go to look for Molly in the back half.   But when Harry first attempts to use LC while it was still broken Lash is all crickets. Why bitch the second time and not the first? Would she ended up any deader the second time around?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 08:49:07 PM »
  After it blew up he was able to identify the issue.
but it didn't blow up? He recognized the issue that USED to exist later after it no longer did. Even if he did genuinely miss it, him realizing it WAS missed and it's no longer there is odd, no? The order of things just seems all wrong with him. If he knew later it was gone then he knew about it in the first place, looked right at it, and didn't realize what it was until someone fixed it? But still remembered what it WAS before it was fixed... Afterwards?
It's just not right I tell you 🧐 trying to wrap my head around the logic in that boggles the mind.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
but it didn't blow up?
Oh it's been a while.  I thought it kind of blew Harry out of his shoes, but could have been worse. 

He recognized the issue that USED to exist later after it no longer did. Even if he did genuinely miss it, him realizing it WAS missed and it's no longer there is odd, no? The order of things just seems all wrong with him. If he knew later it was gone then he knew about it in the first place, looked right at it, and didn't realize what it was until someone fixed it? But still remembered what it WAS before it was fixed... Afterwards?
It's just not right I tell you 🧐 trying to wrap my head around the logic in that boggles the mind.

I do think it's very odd, and it's supposed to be.  Someone did something that kept Harry from being blown up, and we don't know who it is.

What I suspect:  Someone needed to use Bob.  I suspect Elaine.  She knows Harry's style, and his magical defenses.  She see's little Chicago and spots the issue.  She repairs it but can't tell Harry simply because it would expose she'd been there.

As for Bob noticing afterwards....  I look at it this way.  Imagine you've built an engine, and it looks good.  You run the engine for the first time and because of the forces being exerted you realize that the engine should have exploded, only to find someone had made alterations to it.  I suspect something like this happened. Bob is incredible but even he can error.  He didn't realize it until after LC was opperated.

Perhaps Cowl sabotaged LC, and then Kumori returned to fix it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:40:22 PM by groinkick »