Author Topic: Been a while since Cowl or Kumori?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Been a while since Cowl or Kumori?
« on: February 12, 2021, 02:37:48 AM »
Characters seem to appear in the books every so many books.  It wasn't confirmed but likely Cowl was the one at the Red Court party where Nemesis was spread to Lea.  He attempted a Dark Hallow not too far after that.  We met Kumori who doesn't appear to be all bad...

Then nothing.  They have been gone for a really long time.  Wonder why.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Been a while since Cowl or Kumori?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 02:57:35 AM »
He was in White Knight.  He might have been in Turn Coat. Mab's held the floor since Changes. Next up is how I fell in love with a vampire while doing therapy. Followed by, my twin and why he hates me. Just kidding.  Mostly it was the six year vacation.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 03:06:17 AM »
He was in White Knight.  He might have been in Turn Coat. Mab's held the floor since Changes. Next up is how I fell in love with a vampire while doing therapy. Followed by, my twin and why he hates me. Just kidding.  Mostly it was the six year vacation.

I don't have the book on me now.  Could he have been in BG?  Wasn't there a hooded character who was a starborn working with the Fomor?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 04:56:16 AM »
Characters seem to appear in the books every so many books.  It wasn't confirmed but likely Cowl was the one at the Red Court party where Nemesis was spread to Lea.  He attempted a Dark Hallow not too far after that.  We met Kumori who doesn't appear to be all bad...

Then nothing.  They have been gone for a really long time.  Wonder why.
The "Black Council" is involved in probably every book but seems to have agents appear in almost every book. Mavra, Cowl, Kumori are all highly probable suspects. There is some debate on Peabody but generally it's accepted he was one. Arianna Ortega quite likely was one, Lord Raith as well considering their scheme that involved both Margaret Le Fay and Justin DuMorne. I think we can rule out Cristos safely now, but one of the Senior Council almost certainly is. I suspect they should be back in the next book or Mirror Mirror, depending on how much Jim has to change his plan to fit in Twelve Months. But Book 17 was where they were meant to show up again I believe.

I don't have the book on me now.  Could he have been in BG?  Wasn't there a hooded character who was a starborn working with the Fomor?
In Battle Ground, the Fomor have a confirmed star born called Listen who is the lead servitor/turtleneck. No hood though. Wouldn't surprise me if he was Black Council either. They seem to be embedded everywhere.
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »
In Battle Ground, the Fomor have a confirmed star born called Listen who is the lead servitor/turtleneck.

This was confirmed where in the book?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 07:05:56 AM »
This was confirmed where in the book?

In the scene where Dresden is using one of the malk's to spy on the enemy.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 07:07:09 AM »
In Battle Ground, the Fomor have a confirmed star born called Listen who is the lead servitor/turtleneck. No hood though. Wouldn't surprise me if he was Black Council either. They seem to be embedded everywhere.

What's crazy is either this person is as old as Dresden OR closing in on 700 years old, or older.  Even by White Council standards that's getting up there.  So someone who's been around for a while.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 07:13:12 AM »
In the scene where Dresden is using one of the malk's to spy on the enemy.

*checks book* Huh, I didn't even notice that before.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
yeah, Dresden is closing in on 50 now, right?  What I find weird is when he lists out the complaints of 40 year olds like their knees going bad and I can't wonder about a magic system that allows you to live for 200-300 years old all as a 50+ year old apparently.  we really should have seen his aging slow down in his 30's at the latest and we didn't.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 04:01:43 PM »
yeah, Dresden is closing in on 50 now, right?  What I find weird is when he lists out the complaints of 40 year olds like their knees going bad and I can't wonder about a magic system that allows you to live for 200-300 years old all as a 50+ year old apparently.  we really should have seen his aging slow down in his 30's at the latest and we didn't.

Well, Harry has lived a harder life than most wizards, that has been commented upon in earlier books.. Even Luccio made note of all his scars..  I think Harry is still on the sunny side of 45.  There is only so much abuse a body can take before things start to break down and wear out, even in the case of wizards.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 04:35:11 PM »

Jim said that Wizard reach their physical prime at about 50, and then their aging slows way down.  Morgan for example was like 150, and was solid muscle. Wizards also heal better than normal people from injuries.  His burned hand for example is totally fine when the doctor said he should remove it, and he'd have little use of it.

Eb is 400, and I think Ancient Mai is nearly twice that.  It's more than 200 - 300. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:38:31 PM by groinkick »

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »

40. The books are structured internally for roughly 1 year gaps, but he stopped writing them that fast years ago. Harry in fact may not be 40 until the next book.

Indiana Jones- it's not the years, it's the mileage.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 04:46:11 PM »
Jim said that Wizard reach their physical prime at about 50, and then their aging slows way down.  Morgan for example was like 150, and was solid muscle. Wizards also heal better than normal people from injuries.  His burned hand for example is totally fine when the doctor said he should remove it, and he'd have little use of it.

Eb is 400, and I think Ancient Mai is nearly twice that.  It's more than 200 - 300.

Eb was a hot shot young wizard in the French-Indian War. That's early 1700s. He's 300s- probably 330s-350s.

Ancient Mai is over 400 subjective, although I think that's WoJ?

You get dilation effects from "slow time" pockets relative to reality in the Nevernever- that's how Rashid is extending his life.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
Eb was a hot shot young wizard in the French-Indian War. That's early 1700s. He's 300s- probably 330s-350s.

Ancient Mai is over 400 subjective, although I think that's WoJ?

You get dilation effects from "slow time" pockets relative to reality in the Nevernever- that's how Rashid is extending his life.

I could have swore that Eb was 400 and Ancient Mai was older but you're right, the interwebs say she's older than 400. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 02:06:41 AM »
https://www.jim-butcher.com/timeline
"BEFORE 1600 (Over 400 years ago): Ancient Mai is born." "CIRCA 1700 (About 300 years ago): Ebenezar McCoy and Arthur Langtry (The Merlin) born." - DF Timeline.

40. The books are structured internally for roughly 1 year gaps, but he stopped writing them that fast years ago. Harry in fact may not be 40 until the next book.
"14 ASF, July: Peace Talks and Battle Ground" - TL. Harry: "AGE 25: Storm Front." - TL. So Harry's 39 in BG.

What I find weird is when he lists out the complaints of 40 year olds like their knees going bad and I can't wonder about a magic system that allows you to live for 200-300 years old all as a 50+ year old apparently.
Tall people have knee problems before regular sized people. Things can pop and crack from standing up in your 30's. Things start to hurt "for no reason," probably meaning damage you've done to yourself that was too minor to notice at the time plus some more of the same as opposed that thing that's hurt since high school because of that injury in high school. The way wizards work, you've probably accumulated too much damage to feel like you're 25 but you heal enough to keep feeling like your 50 instead of older for a few hundred years. So the injury from high school goes away, but the stuff you've done, mostly daily wear and tear, in the past ~35 years hasn't gone away yet.