Author Topic: Lord Wraith [With Spoilers]  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Wraith [With Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »
I think it is a bloodline curse which wouldn't work with Bonea because, well, she has no blood. But Maggie and Justine baby would.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »
I doubt a spirit would count, but Maggie would- which is funny, because I'm pretty sure she was already born in Blood Rites, so Lord Raith was gonna lose even if he won.
I don't think it is bound to blood and dna literally, more like to spiritual power that is inherited. But being human alive might count.

So would Ghost Story have broken the curse if Harry was the only child?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 09:33:47 AM »
I don't think so because a) Maggie b) Harry was not really dead. That has been discussed as nauseam, but he would have broken the "die alone" curse if he was truly dead.

And about literal, yes, I think it meant literal blood. A foster child would not have had the same effect, for instance, no matter how much loved they were. But as there is no clear indication in the text, your opinion and mine are equally worthy.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
I don't think so because a) Maggie b) Harry was not really dead. That has been discussed as nauseam, but he would have broken the "die alone" curse if he was truly dead.

And about literal, yes, I think it meant literal blood. A foster child would not have had the same effect, for instance, no matter how much loved they were. But as there is no clear indication in the text, your opinion and mine are equally worthy.
I do not think it is literally blood because what really counts is power/spirit, blood is just the vehicle. When a child is born it is not just the dna that is combined, it is the soul and spirit too. I think that is the traceable stuff for the spell. Bloodline is an old metaphor so I do not think we have to take it literally.

A forgot to mention Maggie. But what would have happened if Harry had returned in a different body? Like corpstaker planned and Kemmler did a few times? 

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 05:16:39 PM »
I do not think it is literally blood because what really counts is power/spirit, blood is just the vehicle. When a child is born it is not just the dna that is combined, it is the soul and spirit too. I think that is the traceable stuff for the spell. Bloodline is an old metaphor so I do not think we have to take it literally.

A forgot to mention Maggie. But what would have happened if Harry had returned in a different body? Like corpstaker planned and Kemmler did a few times?

Few things.

I do think blood is the medium, much like hair or fingernail clippings.

My WAG: Harry isn't even aware he's juicing the curse, and Thomas is the link. Harry has always had this power drain he was unaware of and doesn't notice, passed via Thomas via their blood link, and from Thomas to Lord Raith.

My other WAG: She didn't stop his feeding. She amped up his anti-magic aura to absorb any spiritual energy he tries to eat.

EDIT: OOOh, or it feeds Thomas instead
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:01:54 PM by BrainFireBob »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 07:32:30 PM »
Yes, I suppose if his original body died the spell would have broken, regardless of Harry's mind and soul being still alive.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
So the consensus seems to be that it's a bloodline curse for descendents of Margaret's line. Which would be Thomas, Harry, Maggie, possibly Bonea if it's soul/spirit based, and Thomas's kid in the future.

We're not at all concerned that it's just tied to Maggie's kids, and that with Harry's death and Thomas now being sealed away and cut off from magic, the curse isn't compromised.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 08:12:39 PM »
Of course, we can be wrong  :P
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »
So the consensus seems to be that it's a bloodline curse for descendents of Margaret's line. Which would be Thomas, Harry, Maggie, possibly Bonea if it's soul/spirit based, and Thomas's kid in the future.

We're not at all concerned that it's just tied to Maggie's kids, and that with Harry's death and Thomas now being sealed away and cut off from magic, the curse isn't compromised.
I do not think it wouldn’t even matter that much by now. Lara will keep him weakened and impotent for the rest of his life whatever happens.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 08:32:41 PM »
I really want to have Lord Raith fed to Thomas.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »
I really want to have Lord Raith fed to Thomas.
Him and his sisters. A real family bonding experience.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2020, 09:11:48 PM »
Don't think that would work.  Certainly, Lara -- who is bisexual in her tastes -- could devour Lord Wraith.  Mostly, she has done so. 

But, Thomas is not bisexual as far as we know and so given the powers of the Wraiths, I'm not sure that he could feed on a man.  For that matter, neither could Lord Wraith -- this is why his sons met "tragic accidents," because he could not feed on them they were very dangerous to him.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »
Raith not Wraith.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »
I think Thomas eats whatever, only it's not his first inclination to do it with man. But in its current state, he would eat anything.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 12:09:21 AM »
Raith not Wraith.

Dammit, you are right.  (I'm mostly an audio book listener, but still should get that right).