Author Topic: I think Murphy is going to get killed here is why  (Read 35464 times)

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I think Murphy is going to get killed here is why
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
Clearer, but no sure if it matters unless it is part of a bigger picture..  Was your teacher just a bad teacher?  Or is what happened to you merely a one of?  Murphy's behavior towards Harry may have come from mere frustration because she was dealing with things beyond her understanding... Or is there a pattern of her smacking others around to get answers and her jumping to conclusions about evidence before she has the answers?  If the latter than she is a bad cop..

The only point I was trying to make with my analogy is that Harry's not a moron for not realizing, when the subject comes up 6 years later, that what Murphy did was horrible. It just means he's human.

That doesn't make sense unless you had no clue that your answers were right or you were okay with getting your answers dinged because of your poor writing skills..   

I'll quote what I said in the original analogy:
When I get the test back, however, I'm uncertain enough of the subject matter that I assume that I genuinely flunked rather than that the teacher gave me the wrong grade.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2019, 06:34:45 PM »
I've only commented in the early pages of this thread.  Has anyone thought of a counter argument to both the OP and the idea Karin Murphy will be completely sidelined because she will probably have a major role; perhaps the major role, to play in getting Harry out of his gig as the Winter Knight?  Before they went into the old meatpacking factory to meet Nicodemus, Murphy told Harry that she didn't believe there wasn't anyway other than death to get out of being the Winter Knight.  So that raises the question of how Harry could do that.

After Harry flash froze then blasted apart the Sidhe noble who gave him some lip at his birthday party at Arctis Tor, Mab commented, "No one has lifted a hand to them that way since the days of Tam Lin."  So who is this Tam Lin guy?  The wiki page about Tam Lin is somewhat sparse, but he has dealings with Mab; who sometimes is called Maeve and other odd spellings.  Eventually Tam is going to be sacrificed by the sidhe, but he is rescued by a mortal women who hides him; and there's some shapeshifting involved.  The main thing is that Tam is free from Mab and can go about seducing mortal maidens, which seemed to be his regular pastime.

My guess is there is probably more than one story about Tam Lin and Jim will adapt whatever he needs in order to tell his story, but I'd bet dollars to donuts Karin Murphy won't get completely put on the sidelines.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
I pointed out early on that Murphy's major roll has seldom really been as an action star.

Even if Murphy is injured enough to keep her out of the field, there are a number of ways in which she can remain relevant to the story in addition to what's already been stated. She was a detective for years. Most of what detectives do is kind of the opposite of kicking in doors. So she can be useful in chasing down leads for Harry, including on the internet. If they're together and not living in a Svartalf fortress, she can have Mouse's old function of keeping their place from exploding while he's out on a case. I'm sure a bunch of other functions can be thought of.

Or she could recover to a point that she is still out in the field to the same extent she has been for most of the series. She's only really been in the thick of it a for a good chunk of the action a few times. Most of the time, she is only in one minor action sequence. In several books she's either put on the bench or a bus and doesn't really do any major fighting anyway.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »
Oh boy, this thread is fun to read