Author Topic: Wait, How Did Warden Ramirez Know About...? - From PT  (Read 19870 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, How Did Warden Ramirez Know About...? - From PT
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2020, 05:06:05 AM »
Maybe. I'm not so sure myself.
It runs on hate. It is opposite to reason. Ethniu was a bit unstable and that might have been a factor.

If Odin had just injured his eye he could have grown it back. He is immortal. He does not grow it back. Him not having an eye has meaning.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2020, 07:09:33 AM »
Maybe. I'm not so sure myself.

@Dina: Nice turn of phrase. My only real disappointment with these two books is the rampant lack of continuity and plot holes. A lot of the continuity stuff can be explained away. I just don't find most of the explanations I've seen at all satisfying. A lot of the plot holes can be explained later. Maybe Jim will fix it all later. There have been problems like this in the other books, but it feels like there are more in these two books than in all the others combined.

Most of the continuity and plot hole problems could have been fixed without much effort. For example, Jim could have put in a line about how Marcone could get him before he could reach his gun.

Yes, I agree these two books are the worse. Specially PT but the end of BG still feels rushed.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
My complaint is that the Titan didn't turn out to much of a threat as threats go, especially given the buildup. The Fomor killed more people in when they gassed a city to get at a hospital, no  Eye needed.  Where's the sense of menace?  Where is the fear?  Jim actually has Marcone rag her about it.

I don't disagree with you.  As villains go, Ethniu was something of a letdown.  However, I felt that King Korb was an even bigger disappointment.  It's obvious that his henchman Listen is a lot smarter than Korb.  Also, I don't remember if it was in Peace Talks or Battle Ground, but there is a scene where Harry asks Mab about King Korb, and her reply is that Korb is smarter, tougher, and more devious than Harry; or words to that effect.  The problem is that Korb never comes off as any of those things. 

Though we didn't see King Korb fight, because he is the King of the Fomor I can picture Korb as being bad news for a mortal wizard to go against one on one, but that's it.  Aside from making himself Ethniu's slave; which is a less than impressive power move for a King to make, Korb came off as a complaining, blustering and blubbering idiot.  I found it hard not to picture Korb as an evil version of Boss Nass; the leader of the Gungan's in The Phantom Menace.     
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 07:31:50 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx