Author Topic: Fist full of Warlocks spoilers Possible clue about Cowl?  (Read 13565 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fist full of Warlocks spoilers Possible clue about Cowl?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
Says the guy saying "only."

I thought I was the only one who noticed the blind hypocrisy in that original line.

To you, Groinkick, I do think you're on to something. I'm going to do a full series reread after I finish my current run through Iron Druid (which is mostly out of duty; I can't leave a series unfinished when I start it), and I'm going to look closely for anyone who might have cause to be suddenly scarred.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
Says the guy saying "only."

"the guy" is Obi Wan Kenobi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgpytjlW5wU

I thought I was the only one who noticed the blind hypocrisy in that original line.

Lacking Star Wars fans the forum is.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:19:49 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
Could Cowl be someone else in Kemmler's body?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »
Could Cowl be someone else in Kemmler's body?

Possible but unlikely I'd think. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »

Well, in this case, "The guy" was you, who was quoting him.

Either way, he's talking about only someone doing something while, by using only, he's doing the same thing.

Also, "What I told you was the truth from a certain point of view" is another way of saying "I lied but don't like it when you call me out on my lies."

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Also, "What I told you was the truth from a certain point of view" is another way of saying "I lied but don't like it when you call me out on my lies."

Yeah, that was because of a retcon. Vader wasn't supposed to be Luke's dad in A New Hope; Lucas didn't figure that out until Empire. Funny enough, Mark Hammil didn't know what Vader was saying (since James Earl Jones only did voice work; it was a guy with a hilarious Scottish accent in the mask [fun source] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E), and when actually filming the "I am your father" scene, the dialogue was totally different. Hammil didn't find out what was going on until he saw the voiced cut, and he was pissed, because his acting didn't fit the dialogue because of it.

Anyway, Lucas needed to explain the line from A New Hope, and in doing so, turned Obi Wan into a jerk and named a Trope about annoying metaphorical truths: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MetaphoricallyTrue?from=Main.FromACertainPointOfView

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »
groinkick

Lacking Star Wars fans the forum is.

Indeed.  Obi Wan's statement was a perfect example of Oxymoronic Irony.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
groinkick

Indeed.  Obi Wan's statement was a perfect example of Oxymoronic Irony.

Actually it wasn't.  It's all in the language.  If he had said "Only the Sith think in absolutes", or "Only the Sith believe in absolutes", or "Only the Sith speak in absolutes" then it would be very accurate.  However he said "Only Sith deal in absolutes".  He's speaking about external actions towards others.  Anakin had just said "You are either with me, or against me" (Translation Join me or die).  Another example was Darth Vader speaking about Luke "The boy will join us, or die", Palpatine to Luke "If you will not turn, you will be destroyed".  These is the absolutes Obi Wan was talking about.

This was a great video explaining it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH10DQstVt4
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:24:24 PM by groinkick »

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 02:46:36 AM »
Agreed that the scars are an important detail and probably a clue about Cowl's identity, I just don't think he's Kemmler. And recall the conversation he has with Harry, where he states, "I don't perceive myself to be mad." So he spits on Kemmler's name and calls him a madman, then later claims he doesn't think he, himself, is insane.

Only possibility I can see is Cowl not realizing that he was Kemmler; too many bodyswaps left his personality in flux until he became Cowl, and perceived Kemmler as a wholly different, and abhorrent, entity.

That thought occurred to me, it might be Cowl's way of saying, "I'm not Kemmler anymore."  Also, that would explain why Cowl needed Bob's help to do the Darkhallow, while Kemmler would presumably already know how to do it.  If somebody mind-blasted Kemmler at some point, so big chunks of his personality changed and his knowledge base got scrambled, that could explain a few things.  Also, like Bob, the real Kemmler might 'hiding' behind Cowl, waiting to come out again when the surface persona finishes its work.

What could mind-scramble him?  Well, apparently the White Council really, really, really killed Kemmler in 1961, several times.  Even if he could come back from that, it might explain why his mind is all out of whack.

I'm not saying I think it's true, but I can't rule it out.

As for scars and the magical healing, I can think of possibilities that could prevent it, or maybe make the scars follow him from body to body.  Nothing definite, just possibilities.

I think Jamie and Adam would rate the 'Cowl=Kemmler' theory as 'possible but very improbable.'
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:51:07 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 03:38:24 AM »
Actually it wasn't.  It's all in the language.  If he had said "Only the Sith think in absolutes", or "Only the Sith believe in absolutes", or "Only the Sith speak in absolutes" then it would be very accurate.  However he said "Only Sith deal in absolutes".  He's speaking about external actions towards others.  Anakin had just said "You are either with me, or against me" (Translation Join me or die).  Another example was Darth Vader speaking about Luke "The boy will join us, or die", Palpatine to Luke "If you will not turn, you will be destroyed".  These is the absolutes Obi Wan was talking about.

This was a great video explaining it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH10DQstVt4
Does this same person also have a video that describes how the Kessel Run being done in 12 parsecs actually makes sense?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
Does this same person also have a video that describes how the Kessel Run being done in 12 parsecs actually makes sense?
My favorite explanation was that The Kessel Run tracks a line of Black Holes and other gravity wells, so the closer you are willing to fly to the very dangerous gravity wells, the shorter the overall trip is due to the relativistic space/time warping. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
My favorite explanation is that Han was feeding them a line of bullshit.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
My favorite explanation is that Han was feeding them a line of bullshit.
Mine too lol. But in reality someone just really didn't know the science behind the distance vs time wordings I think.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
Mine too lol. But in reality someone just really didn't know the science behind the distance vs time wordings I think.
You're probably right. Someone knew of a unit called parsec and thought it was uncommon enough to be  used in a different science fiction world.
Problem is, they f*#@ed up.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
supposedly in the new Solo movie it's going to happen.  The video I watched basically said what you all have said.  Either Solo bullshitting to sound good, or using black holes.