Author Topic: New WOJ's  (Read 13850 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: New WOJ's
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
Yeah. I think he said he has seen some arguments and deliberately left things unclear on that point to keep the tension, interest going. 

One wonders whose and what argument  Jim saw.  I think though that it was in reference to WOJ's after Q&A's.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:21:06 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
Which is why the best WoJ are recorded on video.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2018, 05:58:29 PM »
There are wojs transcribed from them.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
There are wojs transcribed from them.
and those are subject a lot of the time to the whim of the transcriber. I know of at least one old video with a few gems in it largely ignored because they didn't directly relate to known subjects.... one of the original woj collection videos too. What one person would stress another would throw away as extra.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »
Yeah. Well, I never transcribe the entire video.  I only transcribe things I consider attention grabbing for me.  Actually, most of the time I just jot down a noted summary.  If I need precise text, I then go for the direct transcription. It takes me much time though, my memory and hearing isn't the greatest so I have to repeat the video sample over and over.  I'm also not a fast typer.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 08:05:47 PM »
and those are subject a lot of the time to the whim of the transcriber. I know of at least one old video with a few gems in it largely ignored because they didn't directly relate to known subjects.... one of the original woj collection videos too. What one person would stress another would throw away as extra.

That's why I like to link the video.  I add stuff that I like but it's up to the reader to go and watch the video for all the other info.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
I agree, Mira. Also, I always did that. The real canon are the books.

Groinkick, as I am not so good with oral English, I love transcriptions. I always miss a part of the videos. So thanks again for those doing transcriptions!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
Yeah. Well, I never transcribe the entire video.  I only transcribe things I consider attention grabbing for me.  Actually, most of the time I just jot down a noted summary.
Which is why the best WoJ are recorded on video. Because your summary may not be someone else's summary.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 09:10:01 PM »
Well, sure the original source material is always the most accurate source, but for those of us that dont speak the original Aramaic or have bandwidth limitations, translations and transcriptions are damn useful to have. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 10:57:19 PM »
Yep.  So, if you want the best, most accurate WOJ watch the video. If you want a corrupted quick glance read someones summary.

I've never forced someone to accept mine as gospel.  I've transcribed portions accurately but as it pertains to a limited question and answer.  And even then, there is subtly in response that is lost with just printed transcription.

That's why I like to link the video.  I add stuff that I like but it's up to the reader to go and watch the video for all the other info.
I've done the same.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:59:55 PM by raidem »

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 10:59:24 PM »
In my case, it's almost everything (transcription) against a few things (video)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)