Author Topic: Are there Shadows in DF, an Amber Question.  (Read 5973 times)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Are there Shadows in DF, an Amber Question.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 04:20:33 AM »
The shadows in the DF don't work precisely the same but there are certainly a shadow motif in the background of aspects of it. I think the 'shadow system' you refer to in Amber was largely overhauled into something to do with starborn and those who walk the 'paths' of said things.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 04:43:40 AM »
We know that Harry will be pulled to another dimension.  Could characters/gods ect be from an alternate reality?  For example Cowl is actually from another reality. Or Mac left his reality for this one?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
Well in my theory about Mac being some corwin like character from another universe that walks a pattern thereby either creating a new one or opening a path to it, the universe he comes from is another dimension.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 08:40:32 PM »
To the OP:   Im going to say No, on the basis that a single Prime Reality doesnt really jive with the mechanics of how the DV multiverse branches.  It would be like trying to identify which branch of an old Oak Tree was the Prime Branch, the first bud from which all others sprang. 

By contrast, it sounds like Amber is supposed to be the First World, similar to the Fionavar. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
Except in the end of the series in amber, Merlin finds out there were  other broken Patterns.  I think the inference to be made was that there were other Ambers in the past that ended up destroyed.

It was that or the broken Patterns were just shades of what would/could have happened to Ambers Pattern.

It reminds me in a way of Uriel having to destroy other universes.  It would be like Uriel having to destroy the linked universe after its Pattern was destroyed.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »
Except in the end of the series in amber, Merlin finds out there were  other broken Patterns.  I think the inference to be made was that there were other Ambers in the past that ended up destroyed.

It was that or the broken Patterns were just shades of what would/could have happened to Ambers Pattern.

It reminds me in a way of Uriel having to destroy other universes.  It would be like Uriel having to destroy the linked universe after its Pattern was destroyed.
In that case it sounds like the whole Amber Pattern et. al. would best fit as just one of single Branches of the DV multiverse, a "local group" of universes. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
From the perspective of the DV sure :).  It is like us looking from Earth outward. The reason why I argued it the other way around was because Amber preceded Dresden Files and Jim played AmberMush.  They each are multiverses with characters that can travel to otherworlds.  Jim borrowed NeverNever travel from Amber.  But, yes to your point, they'd fit as a local group of universes far from the local Dresdenverse we are reading.

It still has me asking if anyone from this "local group" of universes made it over to our local Dresdenverse.  It would be a cool way to be why Mac and HWWBefore know each other.  They had a run in before in another universe.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
From the perspective of the DV sure :).  It is like us looking from Earth outward. The reason why I argued it the other way around was because Amber preceded Dresden Files and Jim played AmberMush.  They each are multiverses with characters that can travel to otherworlds.  Jim borrowed NeverNever travel from Amber.  But, yes to your point, they'd fit as a local group of universes far from the local Dresdenverse we are reading.

It still has me asking if anyone from this "local group" of universes made it over to our local Dresdenverse.  It would be a cool way to be why Mac and HWWBefore know each other.  They had a run in before in another universe.
heh, dont hold your breath.  Trying to fill the boredom speculating on Influences is one thing, trying to actually combine the worlds and reconcile the systems, or especially hoping to see an actual Cross over just aint gunna happen. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Well, we may see a crossover from his characters from AmberMush.  That isn't Amber and it was created by Jim.

trying to actually combine the worlds and reconcile the systems, or especially hoping to see an actual Cross over just aint gunna happen.

Jim did it with Star Wars, Marvel Comics, etc with it happening somewhere in the Dresdenverse.  In Amber, the characters (Amberites) can go to anywhere they can imagine.  So there already is a combining of worlds.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:30:59 PM by raidem »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
Well, we may see a crossover from his characters from AmberMush.  That isn't Amber and it was created by Jim.
Even then, Id expect more to see DV characters that are /based/ on his Amber ones, or on his various DnD characters, not an actual literal cross-over connection to another universe. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/