Poll

Harry knocking over Ares Woodshed

Harry starting and ending the war with the Ramps impinged on Ares' territory
Harry acquiring the weapons from Hades vault
Harry having done something already, unknowingly upsetting Ares
Something in PT or MM that hasn't happened yet

Author Topic: Ares' Wood Shed... now with a Poll  (Read 7159 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Ares' Wood Shed... now with a Poll
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:41:18 AM »
I just watched the Salt Lake City video and have a couple of questions/observations

1)  at one point (24:10) when talking about future books, Jim says that the wrestling book will come about because Harry has come to the gods attention when he "knocked over Ares' woodshed"... ok I'd always assumed it was when he had his interview with Hades... when has/is he intruding on Ares' territory? Assuming he hasn't already, will it be PT or MM?

2) timeline for the next three releases, @ about 21 minutes in he says that Brief Cases should be released "Junish" and PT about 12 weeks after that then the next Cinder Spire about 6-8 months later.  So let's look forward to possibly three releases within a twelve month period. 

3)  a question was raised about Thomas wielding one of the Swords again.
    A) I'm trying to remember when he wielded one the first time...
    B) Jim says "maybe, if he still has his fingers?  That this book is being rough on Thomas..."  with the healing he gets from his demon, what would keep him from regenerating fingers, assuming they get removed in the first place.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:55:44 PM by RobReece »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ares' Wood Shed...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:58:35 AM »
Well he technically triggered a war with the Red Court (Ares is god of war).  Harry ended that war, killing the Red Court.  I'd say that if Ares is the god of war, Harry kind of one upped him in the present day.  Maybe that's what Jim meant?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:21:20 AM »
Doesn't he hide in a woodshed on DR in SmF from Magog?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:49:19 AM »
Doesn't he hide in a woodshed on DR in SmF from Magog?
Well I'm pretty sure he was being figurative, not literal, and that was the remains of a wooden building, not a shed.
Quote from: groinkick

link=topic=50222.msg2290974#msg2290974 date=1507521515
Well he technically triggered a war with the Red Court (Ares is god of war).  Harry ended that war, killing the Red Court.  I'd say that if Ares is the god of war, Harry kind of one upped him in the present day.  Maybe that's what Jim meant?
I guess that's possible, but you'd think that if a Greek God was upset with him, Harry might have heard about it by now, what 2 years since he ended the RC and the war?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:09 AM »
Well I'm pretty sure he was being figurative, not literal, and that was the remains of a wooden building, not a shed.I guess that's possible, but you'd think that if a Greek God was upset with him, Harry might have heard about it by now, what 2 years since he ended the RC and the war?

Well Harry has been a little detained...  Was dead, and then not dead..  Vadderung mentioned people taking notice of that too I believe.  Now he's Mab's Knight.  Also the Greek God's aren't the power's they once were, that's why they do the wrestling.

They might not be upset with Harry, he grabbed their attention. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:52:13 AM »
I just watched the Salt Lake City video and have a couple of questions/observations

1)  at one point (24:10) when talking about future books, Jim says that the wrestling book will come about because Harry has come to the gods attention when he "knocked over Ares' woodshed"... ok I'd always assumed it was when he had his interview with Hades... when has/is he intruding on Ares' territory? Assuming he hasn't already, will it be PT or MM?

2) timeline for the next three releases, @ about 21 minutes in he says that Brief Cases should be released "Junish" and PT about 12 weeks after that then the next Cinder Spire about 6-8 months later.  So let's look forward to possibly three releases within a twelve month period. 

3)  a question was raised about Thomas wielding one of the Swords again.
    A) I'm trying to remember when he wielded one the first time...
    B) Jim says "maybe, if he still has his fingers?  That this book is being rough on Thomas..."  with the healing he gets from his demon, what would keep him from regenerating fingers, assuming they get removed in the first place.

Thoughts?
I am guessing that the Hades heist involved taking the God of War's tools. Because that is what a woodshed is often used for, maybe?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
The only thing I'm familiar with, regarding woodsheds, is storing wood in them, and getting/giving a beating behind one.  For the former, wood is kept in a separate shed because of the potential danger storing such materials.

The idiom for "knocking over" is in regards to stealing from a bank.

So, I'm siding with WF on this one.  I think Ares' woodshed was the store of weapons in the vault, which Harry knocked over.  As the god of war, Ares probably considers all weapons as his domain.  Even if they're from a different pantheon.

(Also, Ares wasn't very popular, so I could totally see him being some asshat that would take offense even if it's not his to take)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 02:45:46 PM »
I am guessing that the Hades heist involved taking the God of War's tools. Because that is what a woodshed is often used for, maybe?

I like that idea, they are weapons.  But then why would they have been stored in Hades' vault?  Is there a conflict between Hades and Ares on their disposition?  Hades seemed fairly encouraging, so I'm not sure.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
Well, Hell is a sort of prison and they had to go through Hell to get those weapons. So, I would say Hades was performing a courtesy.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »
The only thing I'm familiar with, regarding woodsheds, is storing wood in them, and getting/giving a beating behind one.  For the former, wood is kept in a separate shed because of the potential danger storing such materials.

The idiom for "knocking over" is in regards to stealing from a bank.

So, I'm siding with WF on this one.  I think Ares' woodshed was the store of weapons in the vault, which Harry knocked over.  As the god of war, Ares probably considers all weapons as his domain.  Even if they're from a different pantheon.

(Also, Ares wasn't very popular, so I could totally see him being some asshat that would take offense even if it's not his to take)

People wear many hats.  Jim said they became interested when he knocked over Ares wood shed, not that Ares was mad.  Hades, and Ares can be the same person, with different Mantles.  However they may be interested because Harry has some bad ass weapons now...  And Demonreach...  and Excalibur...

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure he was being figurative, not literal, and that was the remains of a wooden building, not a shed.I guess that's possible, but you'd think that if a Greek God was upset with him, Harry might have heard about it by now, what 2 years since he ended the RC and the war?

It was probably figuratively but I could totally see Ares showing up and demanding Harry help him the repay a debt because "Remember that wood shed you knocked over - it was mine "

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
People wear many hats.  Jim said they became interested when he knocked over Ares wood shed, not that Ares was mad.  Hades, and Ares can be the same person, with different Mantles.  However they may be interested because Harry has some bad ass weapons now...  And Demonreach...  and Excalibur...
Have you read anything about Ares?  He's mad.

Mars had personality.  Ares, by comparison, was just a god of war and battle. He had no gentle, noble side, at least as far as any sources I've seen have mentioned.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
Have you read anything about Ares?  He's mad.

Mars had personality.  Ares, by comparison, was just a god of war and battle. He had no gentle, noble side, at least as far as any sources I've seen have mentioned.

As was pointed out in Hades vault, history is not always accurate.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
As was pointed out in Hades vault, history is not always accurate.
As was pointed out in Hades' vault, the truth is there within the legend, if one reads between the lines.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
I don't think Hades is Ares.  They have different temperaments.  That said they can have different mantles that have different temperaments.

Anyways, there is WOJ that the gods ask Hades for someone to help with their godly problem, and Hades having interacted with Harry suggests Harry to them.  They then proceed with his advice and go with him to solve it.
I didn't watch the video so I may be mistaken, but it may be that Harry has yet to knock over Ares' woodshed. So, perhaps it hasn't happened yet.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html