Author Topic: Faith's importance spoilers  (Read 13252 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Faith's importance spoilers
« on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:36 AM »
Jim says that Faith (Little girl from his short story) will be the starting event that starts off the trilogy.  How do you think she fits into things.  Will she be Cowl's apprentice?  Someone else?  What do you think?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Faith's importance spoilers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 05:43:44 AM »
Well we know that she'll be a Femme Fatale, and that her curiosity about magic was fermented at a young age being saved from a troll by a wizard.

Honestly I'm expecting another Molly situation where she tries to seduce Harry, before he realises he knew her when she was barely out of diapers.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
bit more info please

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
Will she be Cowl's apprentice?
I like her for Kumori a lot better than Elaine. The only issue would be age. She was ten in "A Restoration of Faith" iirc. The timeline places her age during DB at about 18, which would be awfully young for an accomplished apprentice. But I think there's some room for her to be older, because Murphy was a beat cop during the story. You don't become Lieutenant in 3 years.

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
restoration of faith takes place 1 year after Dresden leaves his grandpa' s  farm and moves to Chicago. at that tine Dresden is  only 23 years old. Storm front takes place about 5 years later so Dresden is 28 years old at the start of the series. each book has been a snap shot of about 1 year in time so I am guessing faith to be in her mid 30s  and Dresden to be in his mid 40s when the series ends and Jim butcher writes  his three book trilogy to end the Dresden files.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
restoration of faith takes place 1 year after Dresden leaves his grandpa' s  farm and moves to Chicago. at that tine Dresden is  only 23 years old. Storm front takes place about 5 years later so Dresden is 28 years old at the start of the series. each book has been a snap shot of about 1 year in time so I am guessing faith to be in her mid 30s  and Dresden to be in his mid 40s when the series ends and Jim butcher writes  his three book trilogy to end the Dresden files.

Actually I believe Harry was only nineteen or twenty when he left Eb.   He was 16 when he was sent to live with him under the Doom and stayed for three years..  Not sure if he traveled around a bit or just when he studied for license and went to work for Angel Detective Agency and settled in Chicago.  If I remember correctly in Storm Front Harry is twenty five or six..

Offline ViperMagnum357

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »
I threw my hat in the ring for 'Faith Astor is Kumori' last year. It is the only one that I think fits what we know-that Kumori's identity will hurt Harry, and that Faith will bring a case to Harry that touches off the BAT. What could be a more fitting spark for the Apocalypse than a late-twenties/early-thirties Faith Astor, a full fledged Femme Fatale, walks into Harry's office and reveals her identity as Kumori-and offers to spill the beans in the Accords equivalent of turning state's evidence on the BC/Circle, in return for protection and the chance to walk free.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:31:43 AM by ViperMagnum357 »

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
Actually I believe Harry was only nineteen or twenty when he left Eb.   He was 16 when he was sent to live with him under the Doom and stayed for three years..  Not sure if he traveled around a bit or just when he studied for license and went to work for Angel Detective Agency and settled in Chicago.  If I remember correctly in Storm Front Harry is twenty five or six..
Yep, I think it was confirmed in a WoJ that Harry was about 25 or 26 in SF.
He was 16 when he went to Eb, stayed there for 3 years, travelled around almost a year then went to Chicago. So he was about 20 when he became Nick's apprentice. The apprenticeship lasted 3 years, then he got his own office. Which he had for 2 or 3 years in SF.
Lets assume Restoration of Faith happened during the first year he was with Nick. Faith was 10. So she was about 15 in SF. That's about the age that magic can manifest. Assuming Cowl was the one who corrupted Victor Sells, he might have been around Chicago and met Faith. Cowl would only have taken her as an apprentice (rather than just corrupting her and see what flew up as he did with Sells) if she had real potential and was ready to take the left-hand path. Lets assume she was.

She was at Bianca's party with Cowl. Age 17. Not impossible.

In Dead Beat she would have been 20 or 21. That's also not impossible. The only one who saw part of her face was Lamar, the paramedic. He said she was white. Nothing about her looking a particular age.

Cowl and Kumori talked in English, even when they might not have wanted Harry to understand them. An older wizard might have picked up a language or two that was not so commonly understood all over the place.

Kumori's belief that Necromancy might be used for good is rather naive. Also fits a young person who got trained by a bad guy. And she was the one who tried to not kill Harry several times. Could be because he saved her once and introduced her to the world of magic in the first place.

The only complicated bit of magic we knew she did was the resurrection of Marcone's man in Dead Beat. Which was a bit stupid to do because she exhausted herself in a critical situation to save a criminal. A more experienced wizard would have had other priorities. This also indicates that she can't have understood the consequences of the Darkhallow - the guy she saved would probably have died anyway.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
Regarding Kumori, I would like to see a time hopping team so I've suggested awhile back that Maggie Sr. perhaps is Kumori, one that TT'ed into future or cross dimensions, etc in concert with Cowl. 

We do have WOJ light via forumite questioner at a convention that Maggie Sr. broke many of the laws of magic, so why not the time one as well.  Or something like it.  I had asked the forumite to ask Jim about time travel, Maggie Sr, the possibility to travel forward in time, etc.  One other thing that I remember from the forumite is that TT'ing into the future is more problematic than TT'ing into the past but it can be done.

Also note, the forumite had the impression from Jim that there wasn't anything there with regards to Maggie Sr. == Kumori.  But, who knows.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:27:17 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
I'll be surprised if we encounter Maggie Sr again, outside of some kind of flashback.  Kumori's actions don't suggest any kind of family connection with Harry at all.

Faith Astor, I like that idea.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »

It is my hope that Faith is herself, whatever that is by the time we meet her again be it good or bad.   

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »

It is my hope that Faith is herself, whatever that is by the time we meet her again be it good or bad.

Do you mean not Kumori, or not under the influence of some other power?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
Do you mean not Kumori, or not under the influence of some other power?

She can be under the influence of another power, but I don't want her to be Kumori.. Let Kumori be Kumori and Cowl be Cowl.

Offline wearsmanyhats

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:21 AM »
I thought Faith was supposed to be the client?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 04:29:37 AM »
I thought Faith was supposed to be the client?

She can be the client and still be under the influence of another power.