Author Topic: Stone Table Sacrifice  (Read 12897 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Stone Table Sacrifice
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
What would happen if a coin carrying Denarian were to be sacrificed on the stone table?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Table Sacrifice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Depends on which court gets the power id imagine. If winter I think were screwed.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
I suspect there's a difference between a mantle bearer and a coin bearer, from the perspective of power possession.  The mantles seem to be tools bonded with the bearer.  The coins likely retain the power without actually giving anything over, other than lending it out.

If a coin bearer were sacrificed, the coin would probably roll away as quickly as possible, but it's power would be cut off before that.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
I suspect there's a difference between a mantle bearer and a coin bearer, from the perspective of power possession.  The mantles seem to be tools bonded with the bearer.  The coins likely retain the power without actually giving anything over, other than lending it out.

If a coin bearer were sacrificed, the coin would probably roll away as quickly as possible, but it's power would be cut off before that.

And if the sacrificial blade were to pass through the coin?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »
I don't think the relationship between the Fallen and host is such that the Stone Table could be used to consume the angel's power. They let the host use a portion of their power, but I can't see the Fallen being anything worse than somewhat weakened to the tune of whatever fraction they delegated to the host's use (like a Knight holds power enough to upset the balance between courts, but sacrificing him isn't going to depower the Queens from whose power his mantle was sourced).

As for breaking the coin itself, I believe the WOJ on that would still apply (basically, it's absurdly difficult and would release the Fallen rather than kill them anyway).

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »

What if a square were round?

There is no blade that can pass through a coin, it would hit the coin, and deflect a little bit to pass through the skin next to the coin.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »
What if a square were round?

There is no blade that can pass through a coin, it would hit the coin, and deflect a little bit to pass through the skin next to the coin.

Really?  In the never-never?  Wielded by ... Mother Winter?

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »
Even then.

The coins may or may not be indestructible (see http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,1143), but I don't think any physical weapon will be enough.

For argument's sake, if a weapon could cut a coin on the table, I think you just free the Denarian, because you've only destroyed the prison, not the prisoner.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »
A whole bunch of this.

And this.

And some of this.

And maybe some of this.

But mostly this.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »

Well ... the faithsaber just possibly might. And we don't have a clue of the abilities of the knife (spearpoint?) from Hades' vault yet.

But from Harry's description of their auras, both of those are vastly more powerful than even Medea's bodkin.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »
If a Sword can destroy a coin, then they wouldn't need to keep locking them away. 

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 02:13:41 AM »
They should irradiate the coins in a nuclear reactor so that no one can ever safely handle them.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
The descriptions of the well, make it sound like it is capable of containing the goin collection. Especially with a warden with soul hire, and a pseudo nephlim spirit of intellect daughter.
k moinuddin

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 04:43:37 AM »
Really?  In the never-never?  Wielded by ... Mother Winter?

That would be my bet.

JB has pointed out that the Coins have been around for ~2000 years, and there have been attempts to release their prisoners.  So far, no dice.  I'd guess that even Mother Winter would bounce off.

As for sacrificing a Denarian, I think the only thing the Table would get is the personal, innate power of the Denarian.  The Coin is more like a weapon or a carried object, it probably makes no more sense to talk about sacrificing a Coin on the Table than it does to ask what would happen if you sacrificed Harry's .44 or Stallings' badge on the Table.  Meaningless.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 04:51:30 AM »
They should irradiate the coins in a nuclear reactor so that no one can ever safely handle them.

You're assuming that would have an effect.  I tend to doubt it would.  If the Coins are immune to change in the sense of melting or hammering or whatever, there's no reason to assume they can undergo nuclear transmutations either.

Now, you might just be on to a tactic, though.  You probably can't make the Coins radioactive as such, but you could possibly put radioactive material on them.  Say, dip one in glue, then sprinkle it would radioactive dust.  But over time that would fade away (as a rule, the more powerful the radiation, the shorter the half-life) and it could be removed by removing the sticky coating.

Or you could coat the Coin in poison, or corrosive, or something, but it could still be washed off.

Of course, making the Coins lethal on contact temporarily removes the risk of a new Denarian, but it has its own nasty moral problems, and the Adversary has plenty of time, at least on a mortal scale.  The Fallen could just wait until the radiation fades away, or somebody washes the poison off, or whatever.

A more practical idea, it seems to me, and more moral, is Harry's approach.  Take the Coins, encase them in blocks of high-density concrete, that sort of thing.  Make them physically harder to touch at all.

But nothing will work for very long, by the very nature of the case.  The Coins, to borrow a line from Tolkien, 'have a way of being found'.