Author Topic: Stone Table Sacrifice  (Read 12900 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Table Sacrifice
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 04:55:54 AM »
The descriptions of the well, make it sound like it is capable of containing the goin collection. Especially with a warden with soul hire, and a pseudo nephlim spirit of intellect daughter.

Yeah, it would probably keep them down longer than anyplace else...but the flip side is that you're bringing the Coins together with some serious badness in one place.  It might not be likely to go wrong, but if it did go wrong, it would probably do so spectacularly.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 10:10:12 PM »
I think the coins would definitely rate maximum security wing of the prison.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
I think the coins would definitely rate maximum security wing of the prison.

I don't know about all the coins, but Nick and Tessa for sure.

Also, I wonder if Harry CAN contain just the coins, or does there need to be a host to contain it as well.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:11 AM »
What I kind of wonder is if there's anything in play that could destroy the Stone Table itself?  And if you did, what would happen?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 02:16:30 PM »
Also, I wonder if Harry CAN contain just the coins, or does there need to be a host to contain it as well.

The blessed cloths the Knights and Forthill cover captured coins in seem to prevent the other Denarians summoning a compatriot's coin back to them, basically the faith magic equivalent of wards. The problem seems to be a human leak in the Church storage facility, not that Nic and Tessa have figured out a way around the countermeasures against summoning coins. So just putting the warded coins underground on Demonreach where Harry is the only one with access should put them out of reach of being freed.

What I kind of wonder is if there's anything in play that could destroy the Stone Table itself?  And if you did, what would happen?

Probably. It's a big enchantment, but one of the remaining warden swords might do it. Fidelacchius probably would, now. What would happen? Probably an explosion, from the stored energy being released.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
The descriptions of the well, make it sound like it is capable of containing the coin collection. Especially with a warden with soul hire, and a pseudo nephlim spirit of intellect daughter.

I suspect it would be useless.  Oh I agree the well could contain the fallen angel.  But it would be pointless.  The coins represent an agreement between the angels and the fallen angels.  Imprisoning the coin in the well would not change that agreement.   A new fallen angel might be sent out to replace the imprisoned one.   

It can be argued that imprisoning the coin is a mortal decision and thus would be honored -- but I suspect there would be other consequences to balance the scale.   

I personally think balance requires the angelic forces to hold back more when a coin is imprisoned then when the fallen is actively working in the world.   This applies when a coin is held by the church or any other safe keeping.   However, when the coin is in the world actively tempting someone, that counts as fallen activity.  If this is true, then Harry having the coin for a few years without using it (despite temptation)  would then have been a good thing -- allowing angelic intervention without also allowing fallen evil to occur.   

The blessed cloths the Knights and Forthill cover captured coins in seem to prevent the other Denarians summoning a compatriot's coin back to them

The coins are all about choice.  That is why a fallen cannot just put a coin in your hand to corrupt you.  It does not work that way.   I suspect that choosing to give up the coin operates the same way in reverse.  It blocks the person from calling the coin.  I suspect the only people who "could" call the coin are people who choose to take a coin, but have not yet given it up.  Even other fallen could not summon a coin. 

As for sacrificing a Denarian, I think the only thing the Table would get is the personal, innate power of the Denarian.  The Coin is more like a weapon or a carried object, it probably makes no more sense to talk about sacrificing a Coin on the Table than it does to ask what would happen if you sacrificed Harry's .44 or Stallings' badge on the Table. 

The Denarian is the possessing spirit.  It has no blood to be spilled on the stone table.  The possessed mortal does have blood, but the fallen angel power is not imbued in that blood.  So quite doable, but not very useful assuming you can make it work in any case. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
The coins are all about choice.  That is why a fallen cannot just put a coin in your hand to corrupt you.  It does not work that way.   I suspect that choosing to give up the coin operates the same way in reverse.  It blocks the person from calling the coin.  I suspect the only people who "could" call the coin are people who choose to take a coin, but have not yet given it up.  Even other fallen could not summon a coin.

That's at odds with the fact that of the Knights using the blessed cloths for containment as a general protocol (e.g. in DM when they kill Ursiel's bearer, and Cassius chooses to give up his coin to have his life spared), not just in the (presumably rare) case of separating a coin from a living and resisting host who wants it back. If it's just a matter of not making skin contact themselves to get stuck with a shadow, any gloves or bag would do.

I suspect at least some of the senior coin holders like Nic and Tessa can call another Fallen's coin to retrieve them - it's probably more difficult and time consuming than for someone who already carries that Fallen's shadow, likely requiring some sort of ritual performed, but the Church's precautions with coins dropped from a dead host or surrendered willingly wouldn't make sense otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:13:59 PM by Snark Knight »

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »

Mother Winter's unraveling could destroy it's pretty. A simple jackhammer could probably destroy the actual table. My guess is destroying the stone table only stops it from being used in the future, nothing happens retroactively.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »
Mother Winter's unraveling could destroy it's pretty. A simple jackhammer could probably destroy the actual table. My guess is destroying the stone table only stops it from being used in the future, nothing happens retroactively.
Bah, Im quite certain you would need a boatload more than just power tools. 

Why would it have possibly done anything retroactively?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
Bah, Im quite certain you would need a boatload more than just power tools. 

Why would it have possibly done anything retroactively?

Why are you so certain? I think the difficulty of getting to it with a power tool (and enough batteries or a generator to run it) and the as-whooping the Faerie Queens would give you if you tried are plenty of protection.

I see no reason there would be a be retroactive effect. I just assumed since there be was a question as to what would happen be that the questioner was imagining some consequence worse than "it can no longer be be be used."

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
Why are you so certain? I think the difficulty of getting to it with a power tool (and enough batteries or a generator to run it) and the as-whooping the Faerie Queens would give you if you tried are plenty of protection.
Because as far as I can tell it's the single most powerful artifact we've yet seen, with the possible exception of the Gates themselves. 

But let me back up on one point:  Iron.  I wasnt taking into consideration the apparently Absolute way that Iron bypasses all Powers of the Fae.  If the Table is subject to that (possible, but not guaranteed until we find out why Mother Winter has been seen touching steel) then it's possible that it would bypass whatever Cosmic Cornerstone Protections the Table might possess. 

I see no reason there would be a be retroactive effect. I just assumed since there be was a question as to what would happen be that the questioner was imagining some consequence worse than "it can no longer be be be used."
It's the lynch-pin of the entire Summer/Winter structure, which is in turn the lynch-pin of both the natural order of the World and the Defenses of the Outer Gates.  One side having a stronger Knight than the other supposedly caused Global Warming. Loosing the Whole thing would likely be a pretty big deal for EVERYONE, not just the courts that could no longer gain power via that sort of sacrifice.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
The stone table likely Unites the different courts and factions of the lands of faerie. Part of me wonders if since the fomor are the result of so many different groups, they have something akin to the stone table for themselves. To bind themselves together and pool their powers and energies.
 Since it was said the fomor were part faerie, I kinda expected them to end up being sacrificed on the stone table. So if the fomor did hove something uniting their power, could tHat be used to steal it for the stone table?
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
The stone table likely Unites the different courts and factions of the lands of faerie. Part of me wonders if since the fomor are the result of so many different groups, they have something akin to the stone table for themselves. To bind themselves together and pool their powers and energies.

Interesting.  Im pretty sure they are harvesting low-level talents to steal and consolidate their Power into one uber-practitioner, but Id imagined a more individual ritual sort of thing, rather than a big old Artifact of legend. 

Either way I doubt it's as integral to their organization, as it is with the Summer/Winter courts, but then the Summer/Winter system was very specifically designed and built by their predecessors.  And I still have no idea how the Stone Table related to the Wyldfae.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »
 Since it was said the fomor were part faerie, I kinda expected them to end up being sacrificed on the stone table. So if the fomor did hove something uniting their power, could tHat be used to steal it for the stone table?

The Sidhe have the stone table.

The Fomor have the Floating dock.

Obvious, really.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 07:12:24 PM »
Either way I doubt it's as integral to their organization, as it is with the Summer/Winter courts, but then the Summer/Winter system was very specifically designed and built by their predecessors.  And I still have no idea how the Stone Table related to the Wyldfae.

It might not. Whoever created the Courts (presumably Hecate splitting her power, plus unspecified allies) may just have ignored the wyldfae as outside of what they needed.