Author Topic: The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...  (Read 20249 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:41:44 AM »
We sometimes see characters speculate about what nastiness might be found in the point in Faerie that corresponds to a given point on Earth.  For ex, Nicodemus warned Harry that he really wouldn't like what lay on the other side from Demonreach.  Usually there is some correspondence, as much symbolic as practice, for ex:  the royal hall of the Erlking lines up with a Bass Pro shop, IIRC.

But we don't see much speculation about the inverse.  For ex, what on Earth matches up to Arctic Tor?

Where would you find yourself if you opened a Gate from the Mothers' Cottage in Faerie to Earth?  (Not that I recommend performing the experiment.)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:17:31 AM »
For ex, what on Earth matches up to Arctic Tor?
The South Pole?

Where would you find yourself if you opened a Gate from the Mothers' Cottage in Faerie to Earth?  (Not that I recommend performing the experiment.)
Well, given their immense power, their balance between abundant life and inescapable death, and their distance from humanity?

Lake Karachay.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:54:24 AM »
The NeverNever is much bigger than the Earth.

Although you can open a Way from anywhere on the Earth and get to somewhere in the NeverNever, I'm not sure the converse is true.

Example: I doubt that there's anywhere on the Earth from which you could open up a simple Way and find yourself inside the walls of Arctis Tor -- it wouldn't be much of a fortress if you could.

Same with places like the Outer Gates, the Mothers's Cottage, and any number of religious holies-of-holies.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:20:30 AM »
On the other hand, outside Arctis Tor might work.

I'm thinking things like the royal palace in Stockholm, or the Kremlin, as in palaces in cold places. Presumably only palaces that are actually in use would count, though, pure touristy ones would probably redirect to sleeping beauty style castles instead.

As for the Mother's cottage, I think some parts of it could resonate more surprisingly; it's also a sort-of hidden in plain sight place with massive power over life and death, so something like a nuclear command center that few people know about could work (i.e. not NORAD, it's too well known).

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »
The Mother cottage is going to connect to a whole lot of different places, likely all very powerful; at least one of them appears to connect to The Winter Knight's grave.  Consider that the Erlking's Court connected to both a Bass Pro Shop and also the FBI regional HQ.  I would not expect Mother Winter's shadowy corner to connect to the same place as Mother Summer's cupboard or garden or Shelf of Pestilence. 

OR

It's very likely that one cannot open a Way to the Mother's Cottage at all, just like you cannot inside Edinburough, and likely things are restricted within places like Arctis Tor.  If Mab can lock down Ways in ALL of Fairy in CD, and make custom Ways, the Mothers have this capability as well.  At their level of Power, and in their own demense, they might well be able to /dictate/ where the Ways would go, if anywhere. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »

I'm thinking it is either in another dimension or a remote part of Nevernever.  I'd have to go back and reread how Harry and Mother Summer got to the Outer Gates, but it seemed like it was just a bit of a hike... But that could be deceiving...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »

I'm thinking it is either in another dimension or a remote part of Nevernever.  I'd have to go back and reread how Harry and Mother Summer got to the Outer Gates, but it seemed like it was just a bit of a hike... But that could be deceiving...
They took a walk to a particular stone, then I think she used it to teleport them?
Mother Summer smiled, took my arm again, and stretched out one foot. She used it to brush a layer of dirt and fallen leaves from the pitted surface of a flat stone, like a paving stone, maybe three feet square. She tapped it three times with her foot, whispered a word, and drew me along with her as she stepped onto it.

No drama ensued. The landscape simply changed, as swiftly and drastically as when you turn on a light while in a darkened room. One second we stood in an autumnal megaforest. The next . . .

I’ve seen movies and newsreels about World War I.

In SK Harry said he got the sensation that it was the Heart of Faery:  "And I had a gut feeling that I was running through the heart of Faerie."

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
In SK Harry said he got the sensation that it was the Heart of Faery:  "And I had a gut feeling that I was running through the heart of Faerie."

New to him at that point, but a good clue that the cottage is in the middle of the Nevernever..

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 02:14:54 AM »
I wonder if it is the heart of faerie, would a sacrifice made here, it would be shared equally amongst the courts. This would be useful way o get a partnership working.
k moinuddin

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 04:56:12 AM »
Mother Summer could have also been giving directions for the
future by pointing out the stone and the talk at the gates
from her and the gatekeeper.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
Mother Summer could have also been giving directions for the
future by pointing out the stone and the talk at the gates
from her and the gatekeeper.

As I said in an earlier post, looks can be deceiving..  Remember travel in the Nevernever isn't by roads as we know them, but Ways.  Margaret knew many or most of them, I'd wager that Rashid does also, in fact he told Harry that he and Margaret used to have dinner together once in a while to talk about that very thing, he also was surprised that a wizard as young as Harry would make it to the Gates.. He said that even with Mother Summer acting as Harry's guide..  So from that I conclude that nothing is straight forward in the Nevernever, least of all the locations of important landmarks.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:40 PM »
The lands of faerie are the closest region of the never never, closest to the material world. Many of the most known, used or safest ways are through the lands of faerie. I am betting that due to Maggie knowledge of the never never, and contacts amongst, she knew every way in the lands of faerie. That Alone would be valuable.
k moinuddin

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »
Hmmm  I would think the Mothers cottage would be on the equator somewhere.  It is Summer, and Winter sharing the same space so that seems logical to me.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 06:48:16 PM »
Hmmm  I would think the Mothers cottage would be on the equator somewhere.  It is Summer, and Winter sharing the same space so that seems logical to me.

Interesting thought, I hadn't considered that.  Come to think of it, I'll bet the equator has interesting magical properties in the Dresdenverse for precisely that reason, the 'balance of forces'.  The poles might as well, for opposite reasons.  I would not be a bit surprised to learn that some magic is more potent cast at the equator, other magic more potent at the poles than elsewhere.  There might even be spells and rituals that only work at the equator or poles.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »

Except on the Equator there is only the rainy and the dry season, not really what one thinks of when one thinks of Winter and Summer.