Author Topic: The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...  (Read 20247 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »
Except on the Equator there is only the rainy and the dry season, not really what one thinks of when one thinks of Winter and Summer.

But still cyclical seasons that match up with winter and summer.  The Poles never get really warm, either, but they have seasons, 'day' and 'night', which match up.  (They do get somewhat warmer in the day season, of course.)  It's still the same seasonal cycles, taking different shapes in different places.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
Hmmm  I would think the Mothers cottage would be on the equator somewhere.  It is Summer, and Winter sharing the same space so that seems logical to me.
Uh, the equator is about as far from "winter" as you can get.  It's the opposite of the poles.  Since I can't see Mother Summer setting up shop at one of the poles, I doubt Mother Winter would do the equivalent.

The 45th parallel in the North would be the midpoint between Summer and Winter, in that those locations would be more likely to experience both seasons equally.  It's been established in the books that the "seasons" are oriented towards the Northern hemisphere, likely due to the greater population.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:11:09 PM by Griffyn612 »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »
Uh, the equator is about as far from "winter" as you can get.  It's the opposite of the poles.  Since I can't see Mother Summer setting up shop at one of the poles, I doubt Mother Winter would do the equivalent.

The 45th parallel in the North would be the midpoint between Summer and Winter, in that those locations would be more likely to experience both seasons equally.  It's been established in the books that the "seasons" are oriented towards the Northern hemisphere, likely due to the greater population.

Yeah I don't know why i didn't think of that.  I did not get much sleep last night is my only excuse lol.  I agree with your idea of the 45th parallel.

Just me or does that look like it could be close to Demon Reach?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:55:08 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
Yeah I don't know why i didn't think of that.  I did not get much sleep last night is my only excuse lol.  I agree with your idea of the 45th parallel.
If you're looking for a particular spot on the 45th, two of the more significant locations are the 45x90, marking the halfway points between the prime and 180 meridians.  One's in a field in Wisconsin, while the other is on an unpopulated mountain range in China.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »
Look at above picture^ what do you think about it being near Demon Reach
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »
Look at above picture^ what do you think about it being near Demon Reach
It runs through the north end of Lake Michigan, just off of South Manitou island.  Demonreach is located in the southern end of the lake, based on the speed at which Harry can reach it. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
It runs through the north end of Lake Michigan, just off of South Manitou island.  Demonreach is located in the southern end of the lake, based on the speed at which Harry can reach it.

Yeah but they are pretty close...  Can't be ignored that there may be a connection.  I'm not saying you could get to the cottage from DR..  But there may still be a connection.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »
Yeah but they are pretty close...  Can't be ignored that there may be a connection.  I'm not saying you could get to the cottage from DR..  But there may still be a connection.
It's not what I imagine, but it's possible.

Personally, I think that the real world places that correspond with the cottage would be hard to get to.  Harder than renting a boat, navigating a reef, and resisting an urge to leave.

That's why I suggested Lake Karachay.  Just being there is hard to survive, even with the lake filled in with concrete.  The Bikini atoll is another possibility, which is both deadly and teeming with life. 

Or their links might be only naturally occurring.  There are probably places that are abundant with nature, like Madidi National Park, which are suited to MS.  And there are places that are deadly to everything, like Lake Nateon, which are suited to MW.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 04:24:47 AM »
It's not what I imagine, but it's possible.

Personally, I think that the real world places that correspond with the cottage would be hard to get to.  Harder than renting a boat, navigating a reef, and resisting an urge to leave.

That's why I suggested Lake Karachay.  Just being there is hard to survive, even with the lake filled in with concrete.  The Bikini atoll is another possibility, which is both deadly and teeming with life. 

Or their links might be only naturally occurring.  There are probably places that are abundant with nature, like Madidi National Park, which are suited to MS.  And there are places that are deadly to everything, like Lake Nateon, which are suited to MW.

Nevernever is weird.  You wouldn't think you could get to Hades vault just because he happened to own a vault in Marcone's bank. 

Why would it need to be dangerous to reach the Mothers?  I mean their power is so vast I doubt anyone would pose a threat.  I wouldn't be surprised if gaining access to the Mothers cottage is surprisingly easy...  It's just going there if you aren't wanted means death for the trespasser.  The Winter Lady power is formidable, but Mab could take on the entire White Council on her own, and just about anyone on Earth, and the Mothers are supposed to be a level of magnitude above Mab as she is above the Lady..  So if the entire White Council was working with the Red Court, and Drakul...  They would get destroyed..  And that's just one of the Mothers, not both.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:27:21 AM by groinkick »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »
Nevernever is weird.  You wouldn't think you could get to Hades vault just because he happened to own a vault in Marcone's bank. 

Why would it need to be dangerous to reach the Mothers?  I mean their power is so vast I doubt anyone would pose a threat.  I wouldn't be surprised if gaining access to the Mothers cottage is surprisingly easy...  It's just going there if you aren't wanted means death for the trespasser.  The Winter Lady power is formidable, but Mab could take on the entire White Council on her own, and just about anyone on Earth, and the Mothers are supposed to be a level of magnitude above Mab as she is above the Lady..  So if the entire White Council was working with the Red Court, and Drakul...  They would get destroyed..  And that's just one of the Mothers, not both.
It's more that the world would have to reflect the connection to the Mothers.  We're talking about two of the most powerful beings tied to Earth. Them being distant doesn't make too much sense, but them being close would reflect on reality.

But I also think there's a certain level of precaution that the Mothers must take as well.  If it's easy to get to them, then it's easy to attack them.  And as powerful as they are, there must be a consequence for them taking up arms.  They're the nukes of the Sidhe; you don't set them off without consequence.

So, it'd be better for everyone if it's just a little harder to get to them. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 05:01:09 AM »
It's more that the world would have to reflect the connection to the Mothers.  We're talking about two of the most powerful beings tied to Earth. Them being distant doesn't make too much sense, but them being close would reflect on reality.

But I also think there's a certain level of precaution that the Mothers must take as well.  If it's easy to get to them, then it's easy to attack them.  And as powerful as they are, there must be a consequence for them taking up arms.  They're the nukes of the Sidhe; you don't set them off without consequence.

So, it'd be better for everyone if it's just a little harder to get to them.

Well Mab can't just poof into my house and hurt me but if I slapped (or tried) to slap her she could unleash. 

Remember Jim describing if people tried to attack Mab?  They would be riding towards her and be like "Wasn't there 5 of us?".  The Mothers don't need to nuke.  It's like a person being attacked by a snail...  It could hit you with everything it had, do nothing, and you just step on it. 

They might not even need to respond to your attack.  I could see someone attacking Mother Winter and then just turning to ash, and her looking around as if she felt a fly land on her shoulder.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »
It's been established in the books that the "seasons" are oriented towards the Northern hemisphere, likely due to the greater population.
Im pretty sure that is not the case.  The Fae Courts have less absolute Power in the southern hemisphere since there roots are in the North, but the Power is still there, and the Table. 

2011 Bitten by Books Q&A
Oh and changing over of the stone table from winter-summer/summer-winter , well there are two hemispheres, are there two tables?
One table, but it goes where it is called.
2015 AMA
I was talking with a friend about the faerie courts, and since we live in Australia, we were both wondering what the explanation is for the seasons being reversed in the southern hemisphere. Does Titania take a vacation down south for Christmas? Or is there a seperate pair of courts for the south?
Oh, no, they'll just rotate interests. Mab has more power in the southern winter, Titania in the southern summer. Though, as fundamentally northern-hemisphere, basically Western European beings, they don't have the kind of absolute reign there that they enjoy in other parts of the world, and their relationships there consist more of strong alliances and consensus influence among a much larger population of Wyld fae.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »
Im pretty sure that is not the case.  The Fae Courts have less absolute Power in the southern hemisphere since there roots are in the North, but the Power is still there, and the Table.
I agree that the table is wherever it needs to be.  But as to the rest, their association with the southern seasons has to come from somewhere.  I think this is where the "worship" of the seasons comes into play.  And with only 10% of the world's population living below the equator, it makes sense that there's less power available to them originating from that hemisphere.

Either way, the balance point between the seasons would make more sense as the northern 45 parallel.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »
I agree that the table is wherever it needs to be.  But as to the rest, their association with the southern seasons has to come from somewhere.  I think this is where the "worship" of the seasons comes into play.  And with only 10% of the world's population living below the equator, it makes sense that there's less power available to them originating from that hemisphere.

Either way, the balance point between the seasons would make more sense as the northern 45 parallel.
huh?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »