Author Topic: Person of Interest RPG  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Person of Interest RPG
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
First of all, did someone watched Person of Interest or I'm the only lame duck in this forum?
OK, in short, it was a not-so-bad procedural (than - serialized) show, which have been turned in crap by its finale (as it happens too often :'(). Although, the setting itself could be quite good for RPG.
I think, FATE is good system for it, since all the characters suppose to be "pure mortals" with thick plotarmor (which can be reflected by fate-points easily), but there is a nuance: ASI,Artificial super-intellects. There were 2 of them in the garbage show (sorry, butt-hurt still continue), but hypotetically can be more of them. OK, OK, deep-breath.
(click to show/hide)
In short, ASIs are technocratic man-made demigods which can huck anything and everywhere.
In this regard, three things are needed:
-Customization which gives an ally-machine (many things, such as a fake identity or funding can be achieved without spending fate-points)
-A resource and its management, which you can determine what may help AI
-for different AI - different strengths and weaknesses.
Any ideas?
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Person of Interest RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
I watched the first few episodes and got annoyed, because of the magical machine. Tried it again a bit later, accepted the magical machine until it was explained as something that works in the show's world, then got hooked. Absolutely loved it. Even the end.

Fate brings with it a very interesting option: You could have a player play as the machine. Yes, the machine is vastly powerful, but it still gets screentime just like the rest of the cast, and that's more important in Fate than actual power levels.
That means you can build the machine as a character with skills and stunts and presto, you're done. Would remove a lot of hassle.

I would use Fate Core or FAE for this, not the Dresden Files version. Especially since you don't need all the supernatural stuff, anyways.

Or you could just see if someone already did something like it. For example:
https://michaelduxbury.com/2016/03/24/person-of-interest-a-fate-core-hack/
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:30:29 PM »
Good for you. As for me still hope someone punch Nolan - in his  face someday. It will be the best  proof  of  karma's existence. After what he did to Root - I swear to write a mocking commentary in this case.

I barely see how could you play the ASI  since their non-human logic was one of the main points of the show. Like The Machine  found a way to feel, but after long LONG way and she still  was a bit... idk  "celestial" life-form. I mean,it'seems like to play Archangel in DF.

Huh, everything  have been stolen before... Thanks  for the link.  Btw, which is the main difference between FATE  CORE, FAE  ando DF?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:00:58 PM by Tirs »
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »
Well, the machine is powerful, sure, but it also has pretty limited in what it can affect. You don't have to make the machine a player character, it could just as well be a force of nature. But it could be fun to do and Fate is very flexible in working with something like this.

Dresden Files is Fate 3.0. It's a bit unwieldy in some places, though it still runs well enough. Fate Core is the name for Fate 4.0, Fate stripped down to its core mechanics. It works a lot smoother than DFRPG. FAE is Fate Accelerated Edition, a version of Fate Core that allows for quicker play. Under the hood, those two are pretty much identical, when it comes to mechanics, but some games work better with Core, some with FAE (and some use yet other ways).
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:59:51 PM »
Btw, which is the main difference between FATE  CORE, FAE  ando DF?

Well Fate Core and Fate Accelarated (FAE) is the next version of Fate after Dresden Files. Think of them as generic rulessystem while Dresden files and Atomic Robo are extremely tailored to their settings.  The FAE is the bare-bones light-version of Fate Core. 

In Fate Core and Fate Accelerated, each skill is based upon attacking/defending/creating and advantage/overcome (not all are applicable for each skill). They are also made so you will have a certain amount of stunts. Basically they are designed for a fixed powerlevels. The Fate Accelerated will then not even have skills, but rather 6 different approaches on how you approach things (Careful, Clever, Flashy, Foreceful, Quick, Sneaky).

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...