Author Topic: Shaman of the Blood  (Read 1801 times)

Offline ObidiahCane

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Shaman of the Blood
« on: September 19, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
In Turn Coat Morgan mentions Shamans of the Blood. I very much imagined Native American mystics in this role. Has anyone developed a path or archetype of this template? If not, I'm looking into developing it. I just thought I'd see what other did.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Shaman of the Blood
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »
I'm guessing they're wizards with sponsored magic from their totem. 

Option 1: Sponsored Magic: Totem (4), plus the Sight (1)

Option 2: Evocation (3), Thaumaturgy (3), Sponsored Magic (2), the Sight (1)

The High concept would have a Must related to the Totem.  It might also dictate skills that make sense with the concept.

If you play Shadowrun, that has a few good guidelines for a Totem's  agenda (example, Bear is a Healer as well as a Warrior; Wolf is the hunter, mates for life, and only loses his last fight; Rat tends to be a filthy scrounger, etc...

One of my players in a game I run is a Bear Shaman.  He was built like this:

High Concept:   Rookie Inuit Bear Shaman
Trouble Aspect:   Fish out of water
Background Aspect:   Still a cub
Rising Conflict:   On a Vision Quest
Other Aspects:   Happy Go Lucky, Shamanic Healer

Powers (10 Refresh)
[-3] Evocation: Elements: Water, Spirit, Earth, +1 Control w/ Water
Focus Item:  Scrimshaw Dagger: +1 Power/Control w Water Evocation (2 slots)

[-3] Thaumaturgy: +1 w/Healing, 2 Focus Items

[-2] Sponsored Magic: Bear

[-1] The sight
[ 0] Soul Gaze
[ 0] Wizard's Constitution

Skills (37 points):
Superb (+5): Conviction (6 power for Water)

Great (+4): , Discipline (5 control to Cast Water Spells, 6 w/ Scrimshaw Dagger), Scholarship

Good (+3): Endurance, Lore, Survival, Weapons

Fair (+2): Athletics, Empathy, Fists, Might

Average (+1): Alertness, Craftsmanship, Performance (Dance), Resources

Stress:
Physical OOOO, Mental OOOO, Social OO

Leftover Refresh: 1
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:00:25 PM by Shaft »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »
I like this write-up except that 10 refresh worth of powers doesn't scream 'Rookie' and 'still a cub'.  Those are the kinds of aspects I'd expect to see on 'Feet in the Water' character.

Then again, it depends on backstory and all that.  And exactly who he's dealing with....so...never mind!

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
I like this write-up except that 10 refresh worth of powers doesn't scream 'Rookie' and 'still a cub'.  Those are the kinds of aspects I'd expect to see on 'Feet in the Water' character.

Then again, it depends on backstory and all that.  And exactly who he's dealing with....so...never mind!

Your points echo the ones I made to him, but his concept is that he is well trained (10+ years of shamanic training), but he's lead a sheltered life until now.  He also has a lot of raw power, but doesn't have the street smarts that the real world requires yet.

Fun character to run.

Offline ObidiahCane

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:37:23 PM »
Good options to look at, thanks! I'm already an established character.

I'm a Native American in the Pacific Northwest. I'm also a Goblin Changeling. Grew up an angry young man, going down a bad road, on the reservation. As a youth a tribal elder mentored me, channeled that anger and focused my natural talents, hunting. I became a professional tracker for hire. I had recently returned to my home town when one of the Seven Deadly Sins wiped out the town and killed my mentor but his and the towns' spirits remain. After much internal conflict and not becoming a goblin, I've chosen the Blood of the Shaman path by my spirit guide. Hopefully one day I can fully embrace my human side.

So this will be a slow build over game play.

The sponsored magic makes sense in this case.