Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49092 times)

Offline Diceling

• Participant
    • View Profile
Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »
Inspired by a thread on a forum for another RPG, this thread is meant to house all those question that need answering, but aren't advanced or complex enough to warrant their own thread.

Ask your question and, hopefully, someone will come right along with the answer! Everyone is encouraged to ask and everyone is encouraged to answer. If you're in doubt whether or not this thread is the right fit for your question, you can go either way: start a thread, not harm in that (I think), or ask here. If it seems that there will be discussion, I'm sure that the awesome moderator can sort it out.

Ask away!

Offline Diceling

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:06:32 PM »
And, to kick things off, I'll start:

In our campaign, one character is a former basketball player (NBA pro) that has taken up the mantle of the Summer Knight.

Would a Stunt to let her aim ball-shaped fire spells using Athletics instead of Discipline be fair/balanced/good?

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
Seems fair to me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:38:31 AM »
If anything, it seems weak. I let people shuffle around their casting skills entirely with a 1 Refresh Power. That might be a bit too extreme for many tastes, but regardless moving a small part of control to Athletics shouldn't be a problem.

Unless your player has a high level of Speed, that is. Mythic Speed is pretty amazing even if it doesn't give you +3 to your attack rolls.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
I like that Sanctaphrax.  So with a 1 refresh stunt, you'd let them choose a different control skill and a different power skill?

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 06:48:53 PM »
Pretty much.  I'd call it a power instead of a stunt.  But seeing as you have to have a power as a prereq anyway, the difference between a stunt and a 1 refresh power is academic.  I think the homebrew power people around here often use is Alternate Magical Paradigm.  I think that's a touch too powerful, myself, but not so much as to disallow it.  If you just want to use it as a stunt, changing a single trapping of a skill (like an implicit controlling casting trapping) is the first example of the proper power level of a stunt, so your stated stunt is a little weak (since it's one trapping conditionally), but still functional.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »
Didn't we have a thread like this a while ago? Maybe we can make this one sticky so people see it?

Anyhow, I usually allow it, even without taking a stunt. In this case, I think it could either be a reworked breath weapons or channeling, either would probably be fine. I've let people generally use alternative skills for magic, as long as it makes sense for them.

Allowing the symbiosis with speed powers might be a bit troubling, but that's something I wouldn't hesitate to veto if it got out of hand.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
Great thread, Diceling! I've got a lot of little questions that I'd like to ask from time to time, but don't warrant a whole post on their own.

Question the first: Does Channeling give you Rote Spells? Or is that only if you have full Evocation?

Thanks!
"Dewey you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands!"
- Giant Brain in Futurama

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
Yes rotes

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
Question. I have a character who has an item of power and I am deeply interested in getting the ability "All are equal before God" or a variation on my item of power eventually since our power level is feet in the water. What I would like to know is how much would such an ability cost. I asked in my whatsapp group and everyone was freaking out and whatever like its gonna be the end of the world. One side argued that their should faith based items because of different religions and whatever but my DM shut that idea down. My DM made it so that there will only be 3 faith based items in game i.e the swords of the cross and he was going on about how its unfair for a p.c. to just spend refresh to get that particular ability, while someone else who took the time to be a knight of a across to get said item. I argued that its easy to get a sword of the cross only because of the red tape surrounding it, via the trappings and restriction and have a high concept to match.

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »
How would a character defend against a "Blinding Flash" maneuver? Like a Blinding Flash Ring or Blinding Flash spell, etc? Would it be Alertness, saying you notice in time to try to close your eyes, or Athletics which is used for most other physical defense rolls? Or another skill?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 09:46:38 PM »
Question. I have a character who has an item of power and I am deeply interested in getting the ability "All are equal before God" or a variation on my item of power eventually since our power level is feet in the water. What I would like to know is how much would such an ability cost. I asked in my whatsapp group and everyone was freaking out and whatever like its gonna be the end of the world. One side argued that their should faith based items because of different religions and whatever but my DM shut that idea down. My DM made it so that there will only be 3 faith based items in game i.e the swords of the cross and he was going on about how its unfair for a p.c. to just spend refresh to get that particular ability, while someone else who took the time to be a knight of a across to get said item. I argued that its easy to get a sword of the cross only because of the red tape surrounding it, via the trappings and restriction and have a high concept to match.

First: there are more items of Faith than the swords.  The books had the grail and the shroud.  Those are just Christian items.  Considering Jews and Muslims worship the white god, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others like Moses's staff, the arc etc...

Also, there are theories that The White God has the mantle of all major gods in varying faiths.  Someone on these boards mentioned Gitchi Manitou. If you expand the white Gods portfolio to other Faiths like that, then there could be all kinds of items of Faith.

Harry mentionned items of Faith come in all shapes and that it is belief that gives them power.  This is why he could use his Silver Pentacle to ward himself from vampires.

Given all that, I see no reason why there can't be an item with all equal before God. 

Second: A PC doesn't 'just get' an item of Faith.  They spend refresh on it and that refresh has to be justified by a good back story or in-game reason. 

A PC spends refresh the same way as an NPC.  My point is this: if nothing In the game justifies an item of Faith, then you can't just spend refresh on it and magically have one.

If you, for example, find John the Baptists' camel skin cloak, the. It's a pretty good reason to spend refresh on Faith Powers.  Those Faith Powers should probably reflect the kind of item you have.  And you still need an aspect that is associated with the item.   

So I'd say your GM is partially right in that regard.

Third:  the refresh cost isn't specifically stated.  I think it's between 3-5 refresh? 

How would a character defend against a "Blinding Flash" maneuver? Like a Blinding Flash Ring or Blinding Flash spell, etc? Would it be Alertness, saying you notice in time to try to close your eyes, or Athletics which is used for most other physical defense rolls? Or another skill?

The default defence for most evocation attacks/maneuvers is athletics.  If the player can justify an alternative defence and the GM approves, then go for it.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:55:31 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 03:35:23 AM »
Exact defending skills for a blinding flash will vary by table, but I'd allow Athletics, Alertness, or Endurance.

I'll second what Taran said about items of faith.

ACaEBG is probably worth 4 Refresh, since the Sword costs 5 before rebates and True Aim should probably cost 1. Holy can be free, I think; I wouldn't charge refresh for a holy sword that grants no actual Powers.

Didn't we have a thread like this a while ago? Maybe we can make this one sticky so people see it?

People are surprisingly likely to ignore sticky threads. I think it's more visible like this.

Offline jeangenet

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
Do you get item slots for sponsored magic?
Do the two item slots for thaumaturgy and evocation stack.