Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49090 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »
Yes and yes.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 04:12:04 AM »
How does one protect themselves from the power Incite emotion? I can't help but feel that its pretty broken for a power that only cost refresh and meeting the prereqs. Since a player at the table has been abusing this particular power on members of the party who are not magically aware and its bloody annoying. Not to mention the fact that its just a power, the laws of magic doesn't protect mortals from it because its a supernatural power rather than just magic.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 04:57:49 AM »
If it's a PC, wait until they do it in a semi-public place and then you spend a FP to compel their High Concept to have them lose control and start feeding on someone to death.  Hilarity ensues.  If they pay off the compel, then they are down one FP. 

Then you sit back and laugh and laugh.

Seriously, though,  there should be consequences to using powers constantly.  Eventually even vanilla mortals are going to notice something.  That's what compels are for.  Thomas used his powers on a daily basis but it was pretty harmless.  But if what they are doing is harmful, someone is going to notice.

Also, why are they using it on other PCs?  Is it in character to do so?  Does it make for a good story?  Are all the players having fun?  Maybe this should be a discussion with your group.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:00:36 AM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »
If it's a PC using it on other PCs, you might have an OoC problem to resolve.

In general, though, you answer Incite Emotion by taking out the person using it. It's not very plausible to weather attacks and maneuvers endlessly. Especially not mental attacks at weapon 4.

Also, anyone attacked with Incite Emotion should be aware of it. Even if they don't know what magic is, they can feel the attack hit.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »
Yea because honestly that is super frustrating to me. Example, lets say I am talking with my best friend and we are having a good time. Someone uses incite emotion on me, they get over my defense and they are trying to argue that i would not even know it happened. Because they have incite emotion: pride. An personally you logically can't make that make sense. Also, I have no idea what he is, though he can't be a vampire because he is walking about in daylight and nothing happens and he is not inhuman. Because we got in a fight in the never never against some sort of dogs and he got ganged up on by the two of them. Basically gashing his leg  and making it hard for him to be on both legs, so I had to begrudgingly carry him because only 2 people have super strength and the 2nd person went to get food. In combat we did not see him physically hurt them in anyway, shape or form but we know they are being hurt in some way. Like one minute they are fine and really down to kill us and the next minute they are both suddenly distracted? With aspects tagged on them like Man vs dog and the like. I'm not well versed in dresden rpg so I don't know the major ins and outs and whatnot. Though that experience is causing me to go back to Volume 1 and 2 because I recall white court vampires having that and I really need something to protect me from that. We just hit a significant and minor milestone in yesterday's game after our crazy adventures so I am adding lore to my sheet so I can research that ingame and know for sure.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:35:48 PM by Ghostfreak »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »
This should be its own thread....

I'm not sure incite is that obvious - maybe actual psychic damage is, but I'd say the maneuvers are designed to be subtle otherwise everyone would know what a White Court Vampire is.

Hitting their High Concept:  This is more of an OOC thing.

FYI:  White Court Vampires are not hurt by Sunlight.

If the PC is a white court that feeds off pride and (s)he uses a maneuver to cause someone to be Prideful. it means an aspect related to their Hunger is now on the scene.  Use a FP and invoke that aspect.  Compel them to lose control and want to feed.  This forces them to act in a way that is less subtle - they will want to Psychically EAT someone - which translates to kill them.  This is pretty obvious.

There are other compels you could do.  compel him to hit other people up with Pride because he loves the feeling of it.  Suddenly there's a bunch of prideful people in the room arguing and a fight breaks out and now he's caught in the middle of it.

Maybe there's an important political person in the room and, because of his Prideful feelings, feels slighted by the Vampire.  Now this person has it out for them.

Remember that every aspect is a double-edged sword.

Your GM should really be doing the compelling, though.  But, as long as your character knows an aspect exists, you can invoke it.  In fact, if you have a character aspect that would be related to it, I see no reason why you wouldn't get a FP to have a vampire want to start feeding on you.  Seems like a complication to me.

I'd think that using another person's pride to get your own way in an argument would be difficult unless you're using reverse psychology.  But, that's what White Court Vampires do: they manipulate people.

Once again, why is a fellow player trying to manipulate all the other Player's characters?

Edit:  IF you want to learn more about a character, use Empathy to learn an aspect.  If you have low empathy, rack up a few aspects in advance: contacts to gain info on them, Investigation, alertness.  Maybe a few declarations.  Spend a FP if you need, then roll empathy and make sure you have a high enough roll.  Once you know the aspect, you will always know it.  Part of the reason they are manipulating the situation is because your character doesn't know what they are.  Once you know, it will be harder for them to do.  Be careful though.  They probably have high deceit.  if they defend with deceit, they can give you a false aspect, so make sure you roll high enough.  You should probably know if you succeed or fail, though.

In any case, I recommend you talk to your GM and the group if this is frustrating you.  It really sounds like a group dynamics problem.  All my proposed solutions are just to help you turn the tables on the Character and make the game more interesting.  They shouldn't really be done as a passive aggressive tool to screw over the player in question.  All compels are negotiated anyways, so you'll have to talk about the problem in any case.  It might just be a good way to bridge the subject if you start compelling those aspects against the Vampire (assuming they are a vamp).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:55:28 PM by Taran »

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54:29 PM »
Speaking as a GM that's had a Whampire in a previous campaign, do yourself a favor and either talk to the player off to the side or ban the concept altogether.  At the very least ask him/her why he feels the need to feed on fellow party members (and technically taking control of their characters). 
That said, my two cents says that unless that PC is related or bound to another PC, to ban them altogether as PCs. 
Truth be told, he'd be a better NPC, feeding Contacts and clues to the party. 
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
I have no idea if they are or are not a vampire but you do bring up an excellent point and I will be sure to use your advice to find out more about him. We are playing at feet in the water level and his deceit is a 4, and the only way we is even know he is lying is because our party's rogue (sidhe who has not decided to serve winter or summer) specializes in stealth and burglary rolled a deceit against him and instantly found out he was lying to us in game yesterday. Then the practicing wizare got him into a soul gaze by telling him look him in the eyes and tell him he is not lying. Ended up finding out he has some connection to an eastern dragon named sebastion who is constantly whispering in his ear and a few tidbits. Oog I would assume he would be an emisarry of power but ingame I can't/won't use the knowledge because he did not bring that information to the party nor do I know if that is the case. Though the guy with the dragon said something about the wizard looking inside of him, which put me on alert and makes wary of them both. When I get the chance I'll post what all he's done since game one and you will see why I am frustrated.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
When I get the chance I'll post what all he's done since game one and you will see why I am frustrated.

Sure.  Just make a new thread for it.  This one is for simple questions.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »
I'm not sure incite is that obvious - maybe actual psychic damage is, but I'd say the maneuvers are designed to be subtle otherwise everyone would know what a White Court Vampire is.

My rule of thumb is that the maneuvers are as subtle as social maneuvers are, and the attacks are as subtle as physical attacks are.

Incidentally, if this is a Feet In The Water game, the character can't be a full WCV. Not enough Refresh.

Anyway, this sounds more like a player problem than a character problem.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 05:10:36 AM »
Has there ever been an example of anyone using Outsider magic? An if so what would be a good example of what to expect of such a thing?

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
Do Red Court Infected still have to consume some blood to live/heal/recover? I think I may be misunderstanding Blood Drinker & Feeding Dependency. Do RC Infected just abstain all-together? Or is it like Angle from Buffy/Angel tv series where the character could just feed on blood from a Blood Bank or something like that. I think the Feeding Failure and Failure Recovery is tripping me up too.

Thanks for the help!
"Dewey you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands!"
- Giant Brain in Futurama

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 07:08:47 PM »
Has there ever been an example of anyone using Outsider magic? An if so what would be a good example of what to expect of such a thing?
In the novels?  What comes to mind is
(click to show/hide)
In game mechanic terms, I'd think this could be accomplished easily enough as a Sponsored Magic boost?  Certainly gets Lawbreaker overtones and whatnot too. 

Just my 0.02, I've not done it in a game, myself.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 07:00:43 AM »
Red Court Infected can get by without feeding. Most of their magical superpowers are blood-fueled, though.

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
Red Court Infected can get by without feeding. Most of their magical superpowers are blood-fueled, though.

Thanks for responding and that's good to know. I still may not be understanding Feeding Failure and Failure recovery all the way. If a RCI suffers feeding failure and can't absorb all the stress and they begin to loose access to their supernatural abilities, Feeding Dependency says they must sit out some scenes to recover and it is assumed that they're feeding. Would the RCI be feeding on blood somehow? Or would it be okay for a RCI to sit out some scenes undergoing deep meditation or some other form of time-based recovery?

I'm preparing a game for a group of new players (most are completely new to RPG gaming) and one of the group is playing a Red Court Infected, so I just want to make sure I understand how everything works out before the player and I have a misunderstanding. I really appreciate all the help!
"Dewey you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands!"
- Giant Brain in Futurama