Author Topic: Warden Swords  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Warden Swords
« on: June 10, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »
Thought it might make sense to give this its own thread instead of hijacking the shapeshifters.

"Mass" produced IoP... that's actually a tad bit scary, if you ask me.
Luccio has been collecting her bottlecaps. Though that brings up another question, can anyone wield a warden sword or are they custom made to only work for the particular warden and are just a piece of metal in someone else's hands?

Especially of interest to me since my warden managed to lose his sword in the very first scene we played in a new campaign and the GM has been threatening to have people do bad stuff with it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Warden Swords
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
it's a sword.  you whack people with it.  It's probably got a higher weapon value than a typical sword but anyone can use it.

Besides that, I think you need to be a wizard to use any of the powers.   Besides that, I thought the swords were custom made for specific wizards.  If this is the case, you can't use any of its special abilities unless you are the rightful owner.

Like using an enchanted item that isn't purposed for anyone but the wizard who designed it.  Still works but you can't activate the enchantments.

If it's like an IoP, then there's the risk of having it 'used against its purpose'.  But that's different than using its abilities.

my 2cents

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:04 PM »
Pretty sure they're custom-made. Harry not being able to get one was kind of a thing in the story, which would've been weird if he could just have taken one off a dead Warden.

Anyway, this is from the wiki. Don't remember who wrote it up originally.

WARDEN SWORD [-1]
Description: The Wardens of the White Council are famed for their magical, super-sharp, spell-cutting silver swords. This is one of those swords. It was created by Luccio, the leader of the Wardens, specifically for a single Warden.
Musts: You must be a Warden of the White Council, with an Aspect reflecting that.
Note: Warden Swords are canonically Enchanted Items. This is an alternate interpretation.
Skills Affected: Weapons.
Effects:
[-0] Specific Wielder. A Warden Sword is only magical in the hands of the Warden it was made for.
[-1] It Is What It Is. It's a supernaturally sharp sword. Weapon 5 for the rightful bearer, weapon 3 for other people.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[+2] One-Time Discount. A full-sized sword is tricky to conceal at best.
[-2] Might Over Magic. A Warden Sword can cut magical spells the way a laser cuts butter.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:46:27 AM »
Warden swords are custom made for each particular warden by WoJ and not easily transferable.  I would interpret it as in a non-owner's hand, it would count as a mundane sword unless there was some appropriate connection to the actual owner.

Will Harry get a sword?
He can't because Luccio can't make them any more.  I suppose he could use another warden's sword if he became enough like them.  Morgan's sword for example (smirk).  If he shared the same kind of psychological profile as Morgan, if he ever got beat into that shape, he could probably be able to pick up his sword and use it.  Naw Harry is more of a gun guy really. 
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
Yeah, remember that in Dead Beat, one of the ways Luccio proves her identity is that she can use her Warden Sword. They're definitely personalized.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »
Pretty sure they're custom-made. Harry not being able to get one was kind of a thing in the story, which would've been weird if he could just have taken one off a dead Warden.

Anyway, this is from the wiki. Don't remember who wrote it up originally.

WARDEN SWORD [-1]
Description: The Wardens of the White Council are famed for their magical, super-sharp, spell-cutting silver swords. This is one of those swords. It was created by Luccio, the leader of the Wardens, specifically for a single Warden.
Musts: You must be a Warden of the White Council, with an Aspect reflecting that.
Note: Warden Swords are canonically Enchanted Items. This is an alternate interpretation.
Skills Affected: Weapons.
Effects:
[-0] Specific Wielder. A Warden Sword is only magical in the hands of the Warden it was made for.
[-1] It Is What It Is. It's a supernaturally sharp sword. Weapon 5 for the rightful bearer, weapon 3 for other people.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[+2] One-Time Discount. A full-sized sword is tricky to conceal at best.
[-2] Might Over Magic. A Warden Sword can cut magical spells the way a laser cuts butter.
all I know harry dont get sword because almighty want him to grab kusunagi if harry accidentally find more about his past and end up revealing decendend of merlin who end up saying some thing like welcome grand child be a dear know and grab the katana I gived you and kill that monster

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
all I know harry dont get sword because almighty want him to grab kusunagi if harry accidentally find more about his past and end up revealing decendend of merlin who end up saying some thing like welcome grand child be a dear know and grab the katana I gived you and kill that monster
That's how the book starts. Followed by 500 pages of Harry refusing to take it. Followed by a final chapter where he has no other choice but to take it.

So it seems I was on the money, more or less. Still not good to have someone run around with your sword and killing people or using it as a link to you, but still.

Offline ironwolf16

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »
what is reallllly scary since it is personalized that's a big ritual link to your character. 

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
Yes. But also the other way around, so I could do a ritual if I hadn't burned myself out in the last session. The only way to do a tracking spell now would be to give my blood to the Sidhe Lord in our group, but it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

Though seeing that we've got a Denarian infected red court as the big bad, that might not be long.