Author Topic: Shapeshifters  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Shapeshifters
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
Meh, I'm just going by the swords in YS.  They have a weapon 6 enchantment on them, if I'm not mistaken.  That makes them way sharper than a 'mundane' sword. 
The swords are supposed to be super sharp, but not necessarily magically so. As far as I know, making the Warden Swords an enchanted item instead of an item of power was done so you could play a warden right away, if you wanted to, since you already need to be a wizard for that and spending even more refresh on the sword would have meant the concept would be too expensive for the refresh levels proposed in the book.
As far as the story side is concerned though, they are much more like items of power than enchanted items. Maybe not as powerful as the SotCs, but still up there with the best of them.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »
The swords are supposed to be super sharp, but not necessarily magically so. As far as I know, making the Warden Swords an enchanted item instead of an item of power was done so you could play a warden right away, if you wanted to, since you already need to be a wizard for that and spending even more refresh on the sword would have meant the concept would be too expensive for the refresh levels proposed in the book.
As far as the story side is concerned though, they are much more like items of power than enchanted items. Maybe not as powerful as the SotCs, but still up there with the best of them.

"Mass" produced IoP... that's actually a tad bit scary, if you ask me.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 01:52:23 AM »
or i magically hold some one and strangle them with a cord. My magic held them still when they would have otherwise ran away or fought back. My magic changed reality but the cord did the killing. This is why the laws  of magic suck there good for the story lousy for game play. but it a good point to segway into this question. Can a wizard use sponsored magic to kill not mortal magic say winter and summer. Technically the magic isn't his at all i've been leaning that way.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
or i magically hold some one and strangle them with a cord. My magic held them still when they would have otherwise ran away or fought back. My magic changed reality but the cord did the killing. This is why the laws  of magic suck there good for the story lousy for game play. but it a good point to segway into this question. Can a wizard use sponsored magic to kill not mortal magic say winter and summer. Technically the magic isn't his at all i've been leaning that way.

This is so far off topic I'm not even going to start.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »
The question of Sponsored Magic and the Laws has been addressed in exhaustive detail already. It's question #3 on Law Talk.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
or i magically hold some one and strangle them with a cord. My magic held them still when they would have otherwise ran away or fought back. My magic changed reality but the cord did the killing. This is why the laws  of magic suck there good for the story lousy for game play.

They are good for the story and the gameplay because in fate, they're pretty much the same thing.  As the GM you set the meta-rules.  If you say that counts as law-breaking, then it counts.  Just talk it out with your players.  If they agree cool.  If they don't, then maybe you negotiate, or maybe you don't.

That's the whole point of my comment.  OP asked how to have mortal magic, self-transformation play into law-breaking.  Tighten up your rules for what constitutes law-breaking.  Transform yourself, okay.  Transform another, not okay.  Transform and do damage, okay.  Transform and kill, not okay.  Transform aspects, never okay.  Etc., etc., etc.

Personally, I'd count your example as law-breaking.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
The question of Sponsored Magic and the Laws has been addressed in exhaustive detail already. It's question #3 on Law Talk.

outstanding thank you

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »
I'd like to through my belated 2 cents in...no actual necromancy was used more like biomancy. Morgan and Harry represented two extremes. I'd like to think that in any normal self defense situation the council would take that into consideration. Normal people even those not overly concerned with good evil generally avoid harming others unless pressed into it by some circumstance. I think Harries interpretation of the council is one born of youth and rebellion. It wouldn't surprise me if they had councillors to assist wizards when such events occur. In short intent(which a wizard with the sight can discern ) probably plays a huge factor in how the verdict would go. Just cause you can throw some mojo around does not abrogate your right to defend yourself but it would open up opportunities to deal with the situation in less lethal manners.