Author Topic: Sacred Guardian (old vs. new)  (Read 3080 times)

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Sacred Guardian (old vs. new)
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
So, I've heard from several places that Sacred Guardian as written in Your Story is a poorly-written power.  I understand this, but am having trouble actually communicating it.  Can anyone help me to put into words why old-version SG is problematic?

While we're at it, I've also seen an opinion that the new version is overpowered - and that, I can't see, as it essentially acts as systems justification for an effect that basically had narrative justification anyway...  any thoughts?

I searched before making this thread, but couldn't find anything on the subject on these forums, so...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:11:28 AM by HobbitGuy1420 »

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sacred Guardian (old vs. new)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:35:53 AM »
It's overpowered, basically, especially for non-spellcasting characters. Add hefty bonuses to your attack rolls, and bypass Catches, all for 1 Refresh.

Haven't heard any word on the new one, though. Did they update it in the Paranet Papers?

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 04:43:27 AM »
Yes - now it just serves as Catch justification (no cost)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »
It's overpowered, basically, especially for non-spellcasting characters. Add hefty bonuses to your attack rolls, and bypass Catches, all for 1 Refresh.
But you take damage in the old version, to get those bonuses (which for the combined cost of Refresh and damage isn't really that hefty).

I haven't seen the new version yet.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »
The Sword of the Cross requires a fate point to satisfy the Catch, so I think it should probably run along those lines.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Tot, the issue is that Stress isn't damage - it's the *potential* for damage.  Damage is reflected by Consequences, and the circumstances in which Sacred Guardian can be used (in my experience) generally allow the user to avoid taking Consequences unless there's an external source of Mental stress around (which there rarely is).

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:17 PM »
Tot, the issue is that Stress isn't damage - it's the *potential* for damage.  Damage is reflected by Consequences, and the circumstances in which Sacred Guardian can be used (in my experience) generally allow the user to avoid taking Consequences unless there's an external source of Mental stress around (which there rarely is).
To me, taking stress is damage. Sometimes it is temporary because you did not fill up the stress track in question but sometimes you could be taking a Consequence, especially if you are talking about a spellcaster.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
The old version is too good (by most standards - IIRC toturi plays in pretty high-powered games and will accept a lot of stuff that I wouldn't) because it gives huge bonuses. +4 to an attack or defence roll is just massive. Plus it lets you satisfy some Catches, which is pretty handy. All for the low low cost of 1 Refresh. And it's very versatile. It doesn't require any particular skill. Might even be usable in mental and social conflicts, as written.

Only drawback is that it costs mental stress. And filling your mental stress track is harmless in most fights. I guess it might get fairer if your game is mental-attack-heavy.

The new version is kinda hard to judge. You satisfy the Catches of many monsters, but which ones depends entirely on your GM's judgement. I guess it depends on who you play with.

Offline zakmo86

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »
I've never seen this power before. What page is it on in the book?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:57:35 PM »
I've never seen this power before. What page is it on in the book?
It's with the temple dogs in Our World. Page 78.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline zakmo86

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 02:28:26 AM »
It's with the temple dogs in Our World. Page 78.

Thank you!!!!

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 03:22:57 AM »
The revised version is in the Paranet Papers page 333, for comparison

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
The new version seems severely under powered compared to the old one.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."