Author Topic: Some advice needed  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Couchman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Couchman's Corner
Some advice needed
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:39:10 AM »
I'm not exactly a new GM, I've been running my current game for a little over a year on and off, and I've run a few games prior. There are, however, still aspects of the game that I find myself struggling with. I come from a D&D background, so combat encounters are easy enough. Social encounters, however, are something I find myself struggling with. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around social attacks, maneuvers etc. I'm much more accustomed to just roleplaying that kind of stuff out, only occasionally calling for rolls. But then this neglects some of my players' strengths, especially when they specifically choose something because it helps them in social conflicts.

I also have difficulty in distributing fate points. From everything I've read, the exchange of fate points between players and GM should be pretty constant, but I'm struggling with actually enacting that. Part of that is a less than stellar selection of aspects to compel (another problem on my part as well as my players'), but even with ones that seem solid I don't find myself tossing fate points at them.

Any advice you fine folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.
World's most comfortable superhero/comic reviewer

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:14:01 PM »
Social encounters, however, are something I find myself struggling with. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around social attacks, maneuvers etc.
I've had one major social conflict so far, a lot of other stuff I've just played out as well. Not every social interaction needs to be a social conflict.

For any conflict, but social conflicts in particular, it's far more important to have a goal for each party, not just go about it and see who "wins". Because without a clear goal, nobody wins anything and everything is murky as hell. It doesn't matter as much in physical conflicts, because you can easily default to "I want to get out with my skin attached to m body", but it all but falls apart in a social situation.

If you have a goal, an attack would be something like a straight forward argument that's supposed to persuade your opponent of your position. A maneuver might be something like an anecdote that's meant to soften your opponent up or make them view your arguments in a different light, a bribe, and so forth.

I've had one extensive social scene so far, maybe that can help you. Spoiler Warning: The game is set after Changes.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28668.msg1638254.html#msg1638254
It starts in the church part of my post and JayTee is the player whose character is involved in the talking. It's a fairly early work in getting to understand the system, but I thought the scene worked pretty well. The set up is the man Ryan is talking to is planning to blow up the church the evildoers are hiding in, to destroy them. He already placed the explosives, now Ryan is trying to keep him from using them, so he won't kill all the innocent churchgoers inside.

I'm much more accustomed to just roleplaying that kind of stuff out, only occasionally calling for rolls. But then this neglects some of my players' strengths, especially when they specifically choose something because it helps them in social conflicts.
That's because you're not thinking 4th dimensionally, Marty!

The trick is to not roleplay and then roll, the trick is to roll and then roleplay. You roll the dice and look at the results and then play out how you interpret the results. That's going to make things a bit easier, since you at least know which direction the talk is headed, and it won't take away the benefits of powers or stunts from a player.

I also have difficulty in distributing fate points. From everything I've read, the exchange of fate points between players and GM should be pretty constant, but I'm struggling with actually enacting that. Part of that is a less than stellar selection of aspects to compel (another problem on my part as well as my players'), but even with ones that seem solid I don't find myself tossing fate points at them.
Patience, Padawan.
Yeah, that's surprisingly difficult and takes quite a while to get used to. I regularly find myself forgetting that as well, still. I've come to have a sort of rule for myself where I try to start any new scene with a compel. Not by forcing the compel, but by agreeing on what the next scene will be and then looking at how this might be a compel. It's a bit backwards, but this way it is the natural flow of the game and the characters really do what's in their nature. The private eye following a clue? I guess that's a compel on his private eye aspect. The Knight of the Cross goes after a Denarian? Compel on the Knight of the Cross aspect. It's not always that clear cut, but it is a good way to drill them into your head.

Also, ask your players for help. They are the ones who want to have the Fate points in the first place. Let them know they can self-compel or offer a compel to you in return for a Fate point. They don't always have to be perfect, but the more you do it and the more you get your players involved in the process, the sooner you'll get the hang of it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
Before each session, when I'm sitting down to create the scene ideas I want to use, I try to make sure that I have at least one compel for each player in that scene, much like Haru was talking about.  Often, if the first compel is accepted that leads to a second compel idea and so on.  For me, those kinds of compels are the biggest story shaping compels.  The kinds of stuff that comes up improv style during a session are a result of the player telling me what they want to do, and me offering them a fate point to make their plan more difficult.  The other thing I do is offer compels to achieve out of the way objectives and/or side quests.

(We ended last session when a companion didn't make it out of a monster den with the rest of the players.  The scene for next session is now to go get him.  The vigilante cop on the run from his own department hears sirens in the distance and is compelled to go in guns blazing rather than with his usual caution.  The Fist of God messed up before, he is compelled to atone for his sins by saving another.  The dark sorcerer has debt called in to go make sure the Fist of God doesn't make it out intact.  The wizard left behind is compelled not to use fire magic because there is a risk he might burn the place down and kill the mortals trapped with him.)  Now they were all going in to get their friend anyway, but this way they each get a fate point for it and some juice for the fight ahead.

The follow up compels are a little too complicated to explain here, but they involved the characters having to manipulate each other and the story toward certain outcomes.  At the end, they defeat the monsters and are ready to make their escape.  I offer more compels.  (The Fist of God needs to rescue any remaining mortals within even if means more monsters will arrive to block your now open escape.  The reckless cop is compelled to stay and fight even if it means facing Internal Affairs once outside.  The dark sorcerer is compelled to lark off after his own objective leaving his companions behind. etc.)

After that, there is fallout to deal with, results of betrayal and sacrifice, anger/sadness and uncovered clues.  All of which will provide additional compels.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
In a conflict, I feel that FPs should flow freely.  GM should comel scene aspects or preciously tagged aspects. 

The most fun I have is compelling declarations the players created.

"I declare the floor is slippery and tag it to dodge"

Next exchange, I might use that new aspect to turn the screws on the players. If he players have a mitt full of fps and know they come easily, they'll be more likely to spend them and not horde them. 

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »
Haha, that sounds fun, Taran.  I'm going to remember that.