Author Topic: New GM Questions  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Radecliffe

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: New GM Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
I would agree that a threshold invite is only good for that visit.  I am pretty sure that Murphy has tested Harry on more than one occasion using her threshold. 

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
In the books you occasionally see non-sponsored magic in the hands of laypeople who likely don't have spellcasting powers. Thomas uses multiple tracking spells, for example, in one short story. I also believe Harry teaches a couple of people how to make a magic warding circle. What's the consensus on how that is being done?

The circle is so basic that it can be enacted even without magical skill, mostly because instead of being infused with directed power an energy source is being directly applied to it (human blood).  The untrained will is enough to direct the energy into the established structure.

Remember, it's canon in the novels that anyone can learn to perform magic, but without sufficient magical senses to pick up on what's going on, there isn't enough feedback for people to develop.  The established metaphor is "learning to paint while being blind" - it's possible, just so difficult that it's practically impossible.

Thomas says that his spells are crude - he doesn't know enough to manage better ones (little Lore).  After being instructed by Bob (Lore bonus) he pulls off some better rituals.

In the vein of house rules, what's the thought on allowing focused practitioners to buy refinement in order to add bonuses to their specialties?

I'm working on a one-point power that, when taken with either Ritual or Channeling, has the following effects:
  • permanently limits you to a single element (Channeling) or a single theme (Ritual)
  • gives you two non-stacking bonus specializations (exact nature varies on previous choice)
  • removes the 'stacking' limitation on specializations
  • permits Refinement to be taken for anything that doesn't violate the single new restriction

It essentially 'upgrades' Ritual and/or Channeling to Thaumaturgy and Evocation while restricting them to a single specialized focus.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 12:36:24 AM »
Thanks again for the replies. You've clarified some things and made me think about others. Narphoenix, I appreciate the sponsored magic write-up but the player has no interest in being a spellcaster. She's more akin to the Knights of the Cross.

I do have a few more magic questions if y'all will indulge me.

1. When casting an offensive spell, how do shifts beyond the spell's original power level count? I.e. if I cast a 4 shift fireball spell and get a result of 7 on my roll+skill+foci bonus, does the fireball count as a Weapon:4 or a Weapon:7? Does the target roll to defend against a difficulty of 4 or a difficulty of 7? Do I add the difference between my roll and the target's roll to the stress caused by the attack?

2. As I understand it, you can't create a Focus Item with more + bonuses than your Lore rating. You also can't create an Enchanted Item with a greater effect than your Lore rating. Is this a blanket rule? Or can you use extra item slots to increase a bonus rating on Focus Items beyond Lore and an effect on Enchanted Items greater than Lore?

3. And one last question on thresholds. Would you consider the abandoned ghost house in the Night Fears case file from Evil Hat to have one? Or has it been abandoned so long that the threshold has died away?

Thanks again!
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »
1. When casting an offensive spell, how do shifts beyond the spell's original power level count? I.e. if I cast a 4 shift fireball spell and get a result of 7 on my roll+skill+foci bonus, does the fireball count as a Weapon:4 or a Weapon:7? Does the target roll to defend against a difficulty of 4 or a difficulty of 7? Do I add the difference between my roll and the target's roll to the stress caused by the attack?

2. As I understand it, you can't create a Focus Item with more + bonuses than your Lore rating. You also can't create an Enchanted Item with a greater effect than your Lore rating. Is this a blanket rule? Or can you use extra item slots to increase a bonus rating on Focus Items beyond Lore and an effect on Enchanted Items greater than Lore?

3. And one last question on thresholds. Would you consider the abandoned ghost house in the Night Fears case file from Evil Hat to have one? Or has it been abandoned so long that the threshold has died away?

Thanks again!

Weapon: 4, 7 shifts of effect.  So, the person has to resist it, with a goal of getting 8 (yoinks!).  If they fail, they take 4 damage, plus whatever shifts are leftover.  Remember, attacker 'wins' ties in the FATE systems, although it doesn't mean much without a rating or shifts to boost the effect.

I was never much of a crafter, so I can't answer that one.

Well, you mention both abandoned and ghosts.  I would assume, if nobody (living) lives there and hasn't for some time, there's no Threshold to worry about.  It's like the Three Days Grace song; "This house is not a-Home!"
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 01:11:04 AM »
When casting an attack spell, the roll actually does 2 things: It serves as an attack roll and it serves to determine how much power you can control.

You start out by declaring how many shifts of power you want to summon for your attack. That will be your weapon rating for the spell. If you say 4, it's a weapon:4 spell, if you say 7, it's a weapon:7 spell. For the example, let's stick with the 4 shifts.

Then you roll your dice. You roll a 7, which is more than 4 shifts, so you control the power and the spell doesn't change.

Your attack roll was 7, so your opponent has to defend against a 7 shift weapon:4 attack.

Let's switch it up. This time, you decide to do a 7 shift spell, but only roll a 4.

First we need to look at the power again. You lack 3 shifts, which you have to make up somehow. The options are: invoke enough aspects to boost your roll, take backlash or release the energy as fallout.
Invoking an aspect is easy, either free tags or spending Fate points will do, and the result of your roll increases. If you get enough shifts to completely control your spell, proceed as usual.
Backlash means that you take the difference between your roll and the power your wanted to summon as stress and the spell goes of as normal. So in this case, you'd have to take 3 shifts of stress (mental or physical, your choice). You can also take consequences, to lower the amount, just as with any stress you take.
Fallout means you can't control the excess energy you summoned and it flies around. It is encouraged to think of a way to do so that would be somewhat detrimental to the caster. If you choose this option, the power of the spell is reduced, so in this case your weapon:7 spell would only be a weapon:4 attack.

Your opponent would have to defend against a 4 shift attack in both cases of backlash or fallout, since that's what you rolled. In the case of backlash, it would be a weapon:7 attack, in the case of fallout, it would only be a weapon:4 attack.

The base effect of an enchanted item is equal to your lore. You can add enchanted item slots to increase that number by 1 per item slot, but you may not exceed double your lore. You may also add an enchanted item slot to an item to increase the number of uses by 2. You may not have more enchanted item slots on an item than your lore skill. All this can be found in Your Story page 280.

If nobody lives there, there's nobody to keep up the threshold. Or rather if nobody makes it a home, there is no threshold. People crashing in a ruin or occupying a place might not be enough to actually make it a home with a threshold.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »
Okay! One last question and I think I'm ready to run the game.

How long does shapeshifting take? I can't seem to find a reference. Would you consider it a supplemental action or a full action?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
It's a supplemental action, it says so directly in the power, I believe.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Modular Abilities takes a full action, though.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
Modular Abilities takes a full action, though.
Along with the in-book Variable Abilities. I feel they need some kind of way to become supplemental aswell though (at least in combination with True Shapeshifting) after reading Turn Coat and Skin Game. Not sure how to balance it though, as it seems pretty darn powerful.

Shapechanging is generally supplemental according to YS, just before the entry on Beast Change.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
Maybe a quick expansion: Shapechanging itself doesn't cost anything, no time, no supplemental surcharge. What does cost you is the skill shuffle from the beast change power and "form follows function" from Modular Abilities.

And I think what you call Variable Abilities is the same thing as Modular Abilities. But in the book, it's called Modular Abilities.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Maybe a quick expansion: Shapechanging itself doesn't cost anything, no time, no supplemental surcharge. What does cost you is the skill shuffle from the beast change power and "form follows function" from Modular Abilities.
True, good thing to point out! Simply changing shape is actually really no cost, it's just when it's an advantage (skill shuffling or something else) that is actually costs anything.

And I think what you call Variable Abilities is the same thing as Modular Abilities. But in the book, it's called Modular Abilities.
Haha, also true of course! I could have sworn that "Modular Abilities" was the wiki-power with a variable surcharge and you predefine what you can switch among, and "Variable Abilites" was the book version, but of course I had those two swapped :p

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
Thanks for the answers. The question of shapeshifting came up last night, actually. I ran a test scene to help everyone learn the rules and the character in question shifted into her housecat form and then stealthed. I gave her a penalty of -1 for the Supplemental Action of shifting (and changing her skills around because of it).

Which brings me to my next question (I know. I've got tons!).

The test scenario I ran had three members of the group on an errand for the Summer Court. Winter had stolen Walt Disney's first inking brush and were planning on using it as the focus of a ritual to bring a hard frost to the area in an effort to shift power away from Summer and towards Winter. The team was charged with retrieving the brush. They tracked the two ghouls who stole it to a graveyard. The brush had been placed on a stone, above ground coffin while the ghouls awaited the arrival of their employer. Conflict ensued.

During the first exchange, while two party members kept the ghouls busy, the shapeshifter stealthed past the bad guys and grabbed the brush. During the second exchange, she announced she was going to take the brush and run. Everyone agreed that they were going to follow her example.

It was getting late and I didn't want to run a chase scene so I figured they could jump into a car and speed away. The ghouls are fast but they can't outpace a car going full out.

Which brings me to my question. What would the ending of this conflict be considered? The players point out (rightly so) that their objective was to retrieve the brush and NOT to destroy the ghouls. Therefore, they don't feel that they were Conceding the battle. They won, after all. They got the brush back. On the other hand, the enemy wasn't Taken Out in any traditional sense.

Would this be a symbolic "Taken Out" effect? The team declares victory, announces that the way the battle ends is they get away with the brush, and we move onto the next scene? Or is this some sort of grey area in between?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
I would roll being able to escape as a challenge -- the ghouls may not be able to outrun a car going full out, but they can definitely outrun a couple PCs heading for a car. The players could be proactive about this, and throw up some kind of block to escape, or just defend against the ghouls' attempts to stop them, but they shouldn't get to just "declare" the victory.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
I disagree. Saying they got the brush and are now getting away to their car, with the ghouls on their tails can be a valid result, if the group decides. They could just as well have said they get the brush and escape, without the ghouls following them, but this makes it a lot more dramatic.

What you could do is use this as a hook for the next arc. One of the ghouls might have scratched one of the players, and that could have left enough blood/skin for the ghouls or their masters to track them down.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
Yeah, I think ideally, a chase scene to the car would have been good, but because it was late, I think you chose a good resolution. 

You could play it out as a mutual concession.  The PC's got the brush but the ghouls can now identify the PC's.

Doing as Haru suggests is also a way of going about it.  Or maybe, the brush was slightly damage.  Maybe a couple of hairs from the brush fell out and the wizard can use those to track it.

I see a potential for a compel in here, somewhere.

Yes, you got away but (offering everyone a fp) they are going to be able to track you down at some point.  It can be a compel on individual aspects for each PC or a compel on one of the city aspects, if any are relevant.