Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259875 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #330 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
And Morgan Freeman can be anyone or anything he wants :)
Well, his character in Shawshank was originally supposed to be a red-headed Irishman (hence the nickname "Red") so Yes, Morgan Freeman can play any character regardless of description. 

Stephen Amell is pretty, I agree with that. Uriel is relatively impassible, so he may do it, but I really think he is not a good actor.
He's not a terrible actor, he's just got a somewhat narrow range, at least with what I've seen.  Within that narrow band he's shown capacity fro some subtlety .  Or at least as much subtlety as is allowed in a Comic Book show can stand
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #331 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »
Also:  I haven't been able to get Weird Al as Butters out of my head lately.

One of the few videos of Jim I've actually seen said he pegged Butters specifically as a young Weird Al. :) But since he's not so young any more, we need some fresh ideas!
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline Denarian

• Participant
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 29, 2014, 07:18:34 PM »
Or we could just travel through time! :)
Harry Dresden and the Sorcerer's Curse
Harry Dresden and the Chamber of Circles
Harry Dresden and the Prisoner of Vampires
Harry Dresden and the Stone Table
Harry Dresden and the Order of the Blackened Denarius
Harry Dresden and the Half-Blood Vampire
Harry Dresden and the Deadly Darkhallo

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Or we could just travel through time! :)

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:11 AM »
I think we should have a 2014 Casting Challenge, where we try and cast the show using actors and actresses that are the right age for a new show that starts filming in 2015.  Starting with STORM FRONT, cast with Harry in his mid-twenties, Susan about the same, Murphy in her late twenties or early thirties, Michael old enough to have a a 12yo eldest daughter, Lea young enough to grow into her role without appearing to age over 10 years (so probably in her twenties, but looking worldly), etc, etc.

It seems hard.  I've been looking for a good ~25yo actor for SF Harry, and I just haven't found one that's even remotely tall enough.  It seems like a lot of actors these days are either well beneath 6', or big and beefy and playing Thor in in the movies.

I like this idea!  I have previously had a hard time casting Murphy because I would always draw a blank.  But recently the idea of Kristen Bell has grown on me and she is the right age (34, but looks younger) for your scenario.

For Harry...I'm going to go way, WAY outside the box.  There is a reality show on DIY Network and HGTV called Salvage Dawgs.  There is a kid on the show - Tay Whiteside - who is in his very early 20s and is REALLY tall.  Not exaggerating -  I'm pretty sure he is about 6'10" (I've met him in person).  He also has a sharp, sarcastic personality.  Hard to find a good picture (and he likes his beard) but maybe this will work:

That's all I've got for now.

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #335 on: August 06, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
I know Nathan Fillion's been tossed around for Harry, but his current Twitter profile pic makes me think more of Marcone than anyone else. Thoughts?

Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
I know Nathan Fillion's been tossed around for Harry, but his current Twitter profile pic makes me think more of Marcone than anyone else. Thoughts?
I don't think he's tall enough for Harry and to be blunt, he doesn't look Italian enough to be Marcone.  Thinking of him from Firefly, he certainly could play Kincaid's personality, except I can't remember Kincaid's description and don't have the books handy.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
Really? For me, he looks very Italian. On the other hand, I don't remember Marcone as looking Italian.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »
I don't think he's tall enough for Harry and to be blunt, he doesn't look Italian enough to be Marcone.  Thinking of him from Firefly, he certainly could play Kincaid's personality, except I can't remember Kincaid's description and don't have the books handy.

IIRC, Kincaid is huge, built like a swimmer and has blond hair. I imagine him looking like the guy who played Thor - but I wouldn't imagine that actor could pull off those "Yassuh"s from BR. Onward goes the search.

As for Gentleman Johnny, he's supposed to be not necessarily good-looking, with a boater's tan, possibly some crow's feet, and he's got those famous green peepers. I don't remember anything about him looking Italian or not.

JB, TC

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2014, 02:38:01 AM »
IIRC, Kincaid is huge, built like a swimmer and has blond hair. I imagine him looking like the guy who played Thor - but I wouldn't imagine that actor could pull off those "Yassuh"s from BR. Onward goes the search.

As for Gentleman Johnny, he's supposed to be not necessarily good-looking, with a boater's tan, possibly some crow's feet, and he's got those famous green peepers. I don't remember anything about him looking Italian or not.
With a name like Marcone and a particular affinity for knife work, it seemed reasonable.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 07, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »
I don't know what the knife has to do (the Italians I know are not knife lovers  :P) but I know Marcone is not his given name.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2014, 03:27:10 AM »
I don't know what the knife has to do (the Italians I know are not knife lovers  :P) but I know Marcone is not his given name.
It's a stereotype for a reason.  Where do you think Sean Connery's line in The Untouchables came from? "Just like a dumb Dago to bring a knife to a gunfight."
I'm part Italian ancestry myself so don't jump down my throat for the Italian stuff, please.
On a more serious note, how do you know Marcone isn't his real name? There is so much stuff I don't remember from the earlier books.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »
He said so in Even Hand, that he had changed his name. Of course, his real name could be very Italian too, we just don't know.
And don't worry, I was not offended or anything. I was just commenting that I had never heard of that stereotype. The vision of Italians in USA is, I think, somewhat different than the vision of them here where most people has sone Italian ancestry. I remember now that there is an episode of the Simpsons in Italy where Bob Terwilliger and his Italian family wear knives. I never thought there was a relationship between the two things (being Italian and handling knives)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Shinblam

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »
I'm rather particular to Jim Caviezel for Marcone. He has the look and if you've ever seen Person of Interest you know he can pull off Marcone's character.

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »
I'm rather particular to Jim Caviezel for Marcone. He has the look and if you've ever seen Person of Interest you know he can pull off Marcone's character.

Yeah, I can see that.

How about Sean Maher for Will Borden? I think he's too old to pull off college-aged Billy any more, but I will dream on.

Jewel Staite could then be Georgia, of course. ;)

JB, TC