Author Topic: Invoking aspects to boost the Power of spells  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Invoking aspects to boost the Power of spells
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
I understand that invoking an aspect can add +2 to controling a spell but can I use it to add to the Power of a spell?

Example: 
Scene aspect: Large Campfire
Conviction =4
Discipline =4
Stress boxes 0000

I want to do a zone-wide explosion
I want to make it a weapon 4 attack.
Therefore my total Power is 6

I cast it and now my stress boxes look like this 00X0 (assuming I control it)

Could I have tagged the campfire (to increase the power of the spell)?
Basically I'd cast a Power 4 spell X000
but have to control 6 shifts of power

My impression has been that any aspect can boost power (not just consequences).  This would allow you to boost spells beyond what you might normally be able to (without actually taking a consequence).

Now that I look at it, though, that gives a lot of advantage to spellcasters who have high discipline...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:38:33 AM by Taran »

Dr.FunLove

Re: Invoking aspect to boost the Power of spells
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
With power in Evocation, technically speaking, can't you draw as much power as you feel like taking stress for by default? The invoke on control is there so that you can draw and take stress/consquences for big ass spells then control said big ass spells. At least how I've taken it.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »
If you'd have asked not too long ago, I'd have said no.

But that was then.

Now I think that, as long as the aspect in question makes sense to boost that particular application of the spell, go for it. Or in your case, I'd probably allow you to invoke an appropriate aspect to make the spell cover a zone, without explicitely making it part of the spell.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:37 PM »
With power in Evocation, technically speaking, can't you draw as much power as you feel like taking stress for by default? The invoke on control is there so that you can draw and take stress/consquences for big ass spells then control said big ass spells. At least how I've taken it.

Well, you could, say do a 12 shift spell, for instance

Example 1: Using tags for control
With conviction 4 that would be a 4 box (for 7shifts)
Then a moderate (11 shifts)
Then a minor (13 shifts)

You could, then, spend all your tags to try to control all that power.

Example 2(using tags for power)
12 shift spell:
4box (7shifts of power)
Tag camp fire (9 shifts)
Invoke Wizard aspect (11 shifts)
Tag Summer Solstice(13 shifts).

In example 1, you took a minor and a moderate, but probably controlled the spell
In example 2, you didn't take any consequences, but now you have no more tags to control the 12 shift spell.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to do example 2.  That's what I'm asking.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:23 AM »
There was a comment from the game designers a while back saying strongly implying that the intent was that you can do this.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Invoking aspects to boost the Power of spells
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:58:12 AM »
I understand that invoking an aspect can add +2 to controling a spell but can I use it to add to the Power of a spell?
By a strict reading of the book you can't add to evocation power by invoking aspects.  The default only gives you two options: reroll or add to a roll result.  (YS99)

That said, thaumaturgy is built on using aspects to power the spell.  So if your group is looking for a way to add power to evokers, this is fair game. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
I'd allow it. There are enough instances in the books where storms and ley lines are used to add power to spells that I'd certainly allow them to be invoked for a power boost, and it's a short step from scene aspects to using personal aspects.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
Along those lines...

In addition to storms and leylines* how does emotion or pain fit into boosting the power (or control) of a spell? There are many times in the novels (I just finished reading Summer Knight) where Harry says that he draws on his pain and anger to fuel his magic, especially when needs to blast something when he's feeling righteous. I started thinking... How do you do that?

Would you Invoke your own Consequences? So a Mild Consequences give +2 to Power, a Moderate one gives +4, a Severe gives +6?

*In one of the scenarios put out by Evil Hat, the baddie uses leylines in his spell casting... they absorb Consequences from the stress of casting... So, you cast a spell at take 4 Mental Stress, you take that as a Consequences and defer it to the leyline. Storms or celestial alignments might do something similar.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »

Would you Invoke your own Consequences? So a Mild Consequences give +2 to Power, a Moderate one gives +4, a Severe gives +6?

I dont think I would allow this, but I would probably allow +2 for each.

Offline OwleIsohos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »
Invoking any aspect (including consequences) always nets you a +2, no more and no less.  The 2, 4, and 6 is how much stress you remove by taking different consequence levels.

I think what Harry is doing mechanically is invoking his consequences and other aspects that were placed on him to fuel his magic.  Maybe he even placed some of them himself - I could see rolling his Conviction to place RIGHTEOUS FURY on himself, as an example.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »
Along those lines...
Good one ;)

Emotions:
I can see a number of ways to go about this. Either make a declaration like "What happened in the last scene really pissed me off, and now I'll channel that anger into my spell", or you already have a social or mental consequence to reflect that and you spend a fate point on it. Of course you can take a consequence as well, if only as backlash, and phrase it as emotion-fueled. If you want to use it as a direct source of power, I'd do it as Lavecki says. Inflict a consequence and use the free tag (you created the aspect) to power your spell.

Leylines:
For things like Ley Lines and such, I think temporary powers is a great option. If you look at sponsored magic, it only costs you 2 refresh if you are a wizard. And if you have a sponsored magic that is limited to a place (like a leyline), that is only 1 refresh. If you add temporary powers to that, you can tap into any leyline for the cost of 1 fate points.

Now I would not recommend to do that very often, or if you do, make it a -2 sponsored magic like "leyline expert", that allows you to draw from any leyline. But for a temporary boost every now and again, that's just fine.

Of course the debt you accumulate on the leyline should somehow come into play, even if the player doesn't come near that leyline ever again.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

I dont think I would allow this, but I would probably allow +2 for each.

Invoking always gives you a +2 no matter what.  Giving yourself a consequence gives you the value of the consequence...so a severe consequence would add 6 to the power.  That said,  I don't know if I'd allow someone to give themselves a minor consequence (adding 2 to the power) and then tag that same consequences to increase the power further...it seems like a 2 for 1..especially for the mild consequence.

Maybe on their next spell....

*In one of the scenarios put out by Evil Hat, the baddie uses leylines in his spell casting... they absorb Consequences from the stress of casting... So, you cast a spell at take 4 Mental Stress, you take that as a Consequences and defer it to the leyline. Storms or celestial alignments might do something similar.

This is interesting.  I like it, but any time the leyline takes a consequence for you, you'd incure sponsored debt.  Or you could just tag the aspect "leyline".

O.k...I think it's fair to say my question is answered.  You can invoke for power as long as the invoke is appropriate.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »
Would someone explain sponsored debt?

Meanwhile, I'm going to research it in the book.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
Well, it's basically a future compel you can't refuse. Instead of spending a fate point on something, you can ask your sponsor to cover you. In return, your sponsor now has a compel that you kind of already agreed to, so if the sponsor likes, he can push you to do all kinds of stuff.

Sponsor debt can not only occur when you treat it like a fate point, but you could, for example, ask your sponsor to take the casting stress instead of you, and you'd get into debt for that. YS287 is where you want to look it up.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »

Well, it's basically a future compel you can't refuse.

You can refuse the compel, but it costs a you a FP and the debt isn't considered to be paid back.  Eventually, you have to accept to pay off the debt.  The important thing is that you don't receive a FP for accepting the compel because you've already gotten something in advance.

Or that's how I read it.