Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61598 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Statting Up Worm Characters
« on: May 04, 2013, 06:05:54 AM »
Is anyone here familiar with the Worm Web Serial?

Because it is pretty great, and you should read it.

Reading it made me want to try writing some of its characters up, so I'm doing that. Anyone else who's read the story should feel free to contribute their own takes on its characters.

I'll also consider requests, if anyone has any.

If you haven't read Worm, this might not make too much sense to you. Feel free to ask for clarification.

I'm starting with Simurgh and Behemoth. Dunno who I'll do next...maybe Lung.

Incidentally, I had to make some assumptions when filling out the bottom of the skill pyramids for these guys. We don't actually know whether Behemoth has social skills, for instance. But I figure he probably does, he just can't be bothered to speak to humans.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:30:45 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:05:54 AM »
Lung and Cherish, now.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:08:33 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:29:43 AM »
Worm is awesome, hands down.

Do you have a Catch for Lung?

Not even going to bother asking if the Endbringers have one other than Scion.

As for requests, how about Myrddin or Noelle?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:55:55 AM by Mrmdubois »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:05:07 AM »
It is indeed.

I decided not to give Lung a Catch, partly because I couldn't think of one and partly because his Toughness Powers are already pretty limited.

I don't think Noelle should be too hard, as long as I don't try to assign a Refresh cost to her clone-generation. I'll give her a try.

But I don't really know where to start with Myrrdin. I was never really sure exactly what he could do or what kind of person he was. And his in-depth Cast entry is missing.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:10:07 AM »
Thus the challenge!

Basically he creates pocket dimensions which seem to be able to absorb and redirect energy and matter, or trap people extra-dimensionally.  That was the impression I got anyways.  It's too bad he got killed off before he could get an Interlude.

How did you find the series Sancta?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:12:23 AM by Mrmdubois »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »
Yeah, he definitely did something with pocket dimensions. But exactly what he did is kind of hard to tell.

Maybe I'll just give him Incite Effect. That's usually a pretty good default for stuff that's hard to model.

On the other hand, he was pretty darn powerful. Incite Effect might not be "big" enough. Maybe I should go with Sponsored Magic instead. He did have that wizard theme.

And I really like the series. Wouldn't be talking about it here, otherwise.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »
Incite Effect is nice, glad you wrote it so I can use it for some of my characters, but yeah no clue how it could be worked out for something like that.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:53 AM »
And here's Noelle.

(click to show/hide)

Turns out the Swallow Whole custom Power fits her very well.

It's nice when an old custom Power becomes useful like that.

My basic idea for Cloning is

(click to show/hide)

So, what do you think?

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »
Looks good, pretty accurate.

You know, I had never considered before that her power ended up pantomiming her eating disorder.  All I had realized was the psychological damage led to her mutating horribly based on her negative opinion of herself.

I'll have to think of another toughie, but you haven't done Leviathan yet.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
Yeah, I didn't realize it either until someone in the comments mentioned it.

But it's kind of obvious once you see it, eh?

Constantly hungry, gets bigger and uglier when she eats, cannot get smaller even if pieces are cut off, has a vomiting-based superpower...

I started Leviathan a while ago. I stopped because I couldn't think of a good way to model his macrohydrokinesis. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's what I had when I stopped:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:32:33 AM »
Well his macrohydrokinesis can basically assault an entire section of coast line, either doing surface damage or wear and tear underneath to slide land masses under water.

We're talking off the scale in terms of weapon rating and too many zones to bother counting.

For the massive waves I'd consider just putting them on a timer then just put every pertinent zone under an automatic zone wide attack with a high weapon rating and maybe place maneuvers on the zone too, Under Water, Crushing Pressure, etc, and have players either get into the air, far away somehow or put up massive blocks, make Declarations
like High Ground.  Wash, rinse repeat whenever the timer runs out.

For stuff like destroying the sewer system his Incite Effect probably works, maybe give it a power boost if he uses it at the same time his timer runs down on the massive wave ability.

I assume the natural weaponry is his water echo?  If not the dangerous aura ability might work?  You know it better than me.

Also he can hit Mythic Speed, when he was under water Taylor momentarily thought he was teleporting he moved so fast.  Limitation I guess.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
For my next challenge to you, how about the Number Man?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:08 AM »
Hm.

The Number Man is tricky because DFRPG mostly lacks mental Powers. Precognition would fit him, but it only covers a small part of what he can do.

Maybe I'll write a Super Math power. Could be useful for other characters too, at some point in the future.

As for Leviathan:

The Natural Weaponry is indeed his afterimage. It's not a perfect fit, but since he mostly uses his afterimage to hit people from a distance I figured it was a good enough representation.

I forgot about how he gets faster underwater. I will indeed use Limitation for that.

An attack on a timer is probably a good way to handle the waves. For grander stuff like making lakes and sinking Japan, I'm thinking maybe Leviathan performs water-related Thaumaturgy just by existing. 4 shifts of power per exchange or something.

I guess that stuff could just be handwaved, but...I'd rather do something more rigorous.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »
Ooo, using Thaumaturgy for it, I like that.

And, yeah, the Number Man is tricky, which is why I picked him.  I get the feeling his precognition is limited to extrapolating from known data but with no limit on the number of variables he can consider simultaneously, rather than simply yanking futures out of thin air like Dinah.  Though that's really not very limiting when you think about it...

Super Math would be cool to see.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
I agree about his precognition. Fortunately the Precognition Power accommodates that pretty well. You need Prophecy to be Dinah.

As for Super Math, here's what I have in mind:

-You perform basic calculations as though you have a graphing calculator and a spreadsheet in your head. That is, instantly and perfectly.
-You can count instantly and without error. You can tell at a glance how many people are in a crowd, how many metres long a monster is, and how many metres per second a car is moving at.
-You are substantially better at everything that involves math. How much better depends on how math-y the activity in question is. So the boost would be huge for proving theorems related to the geometry of 8-dimensional space, big for analysing the latest information from the Large Hadron Collider, moderately large for managing money, and small for fixing a car.

Think I'm missing anything?

I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to implement this mechanically, but I have some ideas.