Author Topic: day walking demon  (Read 2180 times)

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
day walking demon
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
anyone read the hollows series by Kim Harrison one of my favorites, how would we stat R Morgan as a daywalking demon end of series :)

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: day walking demon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »
NO familier with the series

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »
I've never read those books, but if you tell me a bit about this demon I can sketch out some stats.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:12 AM »
I don't know much about the series, but I've found a wiki. I'll try to break the magic it lists like they did.

Earth Witch - Probably a Nature-based Sponsored Magic. It seems to be heavy on thaumaturgy and less on evocation.

Ley Line Witch - I'd add Evocation, maybe with a limitation that it will only work near a leyline. Depending on the universe (which I know nothing about) that could be a minor or major limitation, giving a bonus anywhere from +1 to +2.

Demon Magic - The description screams of a Demonic Curse based Sponsored Magic with an Evothaum towards curses.

Seems she would have a high Stealth and Contacts. Maybe even a Stunt that has to do with Planning although I'm only basing that off of the wiki.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline amidonricky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »
The full range of wizard abilities, with a lot of refinement devoted to alchemy and a self sponsored version of hellfire.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
have time to describe it more.

Earth witch would be the same as thaumaturgy, ley line magic would be the same as evocation. Demon magic combines the two so they could basically cast any thaumaturgy spell as a evocation. The demons could also store magic inside them selves earth magic or demon magic didnt matter and they had no limit to how much they could store. They could evoc it with a thought.

The magic item creation rules actually fit well except the item is stored inside. A demon could literally have thousands of spells prepared. They could true shape change into anything.(but this is magic they store in their bodies). and over 5000 years of war with the elves they forgot what their true forms were so they exisit in their battle forms, strength speed and damage resistance. They are consisdered omnipotent but thats not really true they just have years and years of stored magics to call upon.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:13:38 PM »
The full range of wizard abilities, with a lot of refinement devoted to alchemy and a self sponsored version of hellfire.

they are called demons in the series but they are not the same as demons in the dresden series, they are first rate magic users, longer then normal life span 160 years but each time they shift forms they reset their biological clock to year one so functional immortality. They have learned to steal souls with their magic and they barter for it but htey are not the fallen or demons from down below. They might actually have been good but 5000 years of war changed them and when their species was destroyed 40000 down to 413 they kind of got bitter. But the ones that were able to survive know how to love or did at one time. They are not demons with hellfire.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
a young demon say one like the protaganist in the series would have inhuman strength, speed and resistance. (after she learned to make a battle form). earth magic(thaumaturgy), ley line magic(evocation) the sight. Evothaum (demon magic) no limits any thaumaturgy she could could cast she could twist as demon magic. She can have the same focus and enchanted items as a dresden wizard but they can be internalized. She can also store thaumaturgy within her body. So instant ward if needed and she can store it as many times as she wanted. Not sure how to represent this it literally can be any spell any number of times. They old demons never seemed to run out of magic.

in the wiki the is a dungeons and dragons rule set, perhaps use this in addition to the above rules to represent stored magic, it wouldnt be thousands of spells but it would be manageble then. Such a game would have to be different, demons didnt try to kill each other they tried to one up each other in skill and soul stealing. There were only 413 left and they couldnt reproduce until the end of hte series. They always kept their given word.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:34:43 PM by potestas »