Author Topic: For guys and clever women.... help  (Read 30468 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: For guys and clever women.... help
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »
I have a co-worker who is gluten intolerant, so I've gotten a glimpse of how difficult that can be.  He constantly has to explain that he isn't being picky because of eating preferences, that it's a medical issue.

I have a friend who is gluten intolerant, and also cannot eat yeast, dairy, or onions or garlic or anything in that family.

One of the things I like most about Montreal is being able to come up with several restaurants off the top of my head who will not only listen to that very awkward list and get it, but regard it as an interesting challenge to come up with a good meal within those constraints.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
I'd say you have a terrific restaurant then.  I think the majority of ours in IA would say,  "So?"  and you'd get no help at all.   :-\
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Dikaion

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
The Outback has a glutenfree menu.  Otherwise, you're mostly on your own for restaurants here too.  But I don't eat out much, so maybe I don't see the whole pic.

Offline ex-P.F.C Crunch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2007, 03:30:43 AM »
Berkeley has a really good vegan and raw  place called Cafe Gratitude.
"What would they do to me," he asked in confidential tones, "if I refused to fly them?"
  "We'd probably shoot you"
  "We? What do you mean, we? Since when are you on their side?"
   "If you're going to be shot, whose side do you expect me to be on?"

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »
Vegan and raw?  Like, meat free plus tataki?  That doesn't compute.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:57:20 AM by samurphy »
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Miharu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »
Okay, I got one for you. But its a reversal, things that men do that drive women (or maybe just me) nuts. When you work really hard on a surprise dinner, and you are making steak, and you have done everything perfect. Its cooked perfectly the way he likes it, it melts in your mouth, its tender, its moist, it is one of the finest creations you have ever wrought in your young life. And the bastard asks for ketchup. KETCHUP!!!!!!

.... ingrateful...... <Grumble, Grumble. Grumble>
Tinkerbell's probably some flesh-eating Willowisp.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »
Ketchup?  On steak?  Heathen.  I don't even use steak sauce.  I want my steak to taste like...steak.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2007, 02:55:57 AM »
and moo, right Samurphy?   :D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:01 AM »
and moo, right Samurphy?   :D

I prefer that my steak is rare enough to still be slightly confused about the whole thing...

Offline ex-P.F.C Crunch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2007, 05:46:44 AM »
Vegan and raw?  Like, meat free plus tataki?  That doesn't compute.

I'm serious its delicious. They make shakes with soy milk. They serve soup cold, but its really excellent.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:49:32 AM by brksocsc »
"What would they do to me," he asked in confidential tones, "if I refused to fly them?"
  "We'd probably shoot you"
  "We? What do you mean, we? Since when are you on their side?"
   "If you're going to be shot, whose side do you expect me to be on?"

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »
Piping hot gaspatcho soup!

Raw diets have an effect...my gf not only seems happier, her eyes went from dark brown to this killer translucent hazel gem color. Really pretty.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »
not that I'm suggesting you use your gf as a lab rat, but I have hazel eyes..

take fabric swatches of different colors one at a time and put under her chin---taaa.. daaaa, her eyes will change color.  It's cool. :D

Geez, I gotta close this window down and get some work done!

Offline Shadocat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »
If you think nudity means sex, then you haven't been in a relationship very long.

Imagine if the lady is just naturally more comfortable around the house without clothes.   A habit that tends to run in her family. . . and is purely a comfort thing with the adults.  Predictable to within ten minutes of arriving home after a full day.   After a while nudity, or partial thereof, means nothing.  You get used to it after a decade or so. 

Offline fizzy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2008, 07:05:24 PM »
Aside from the "dead ender" stuff (things so bad you could never live with this person), I can't stand when a woman asks me for my opinion knowing full well she won't like it. Case in point.
"which dress do you think I should wear?"
"You know I hate this game, why don't you ask which dress I hate the most so you can just pick that one. You'll look beautiful no matter what you choose and you'll never pick what I recomend anyway. "
"No, I'm serious. Tell me which one you like. Theres only three. Which one do you like the most."
"Are you sure about this, you really care what my opinion is?"
"Of course I do, otherwise I wouldn't ask you"
"I like the red one. It sets off your hair and everything, its dead sexy."
"oh, wait what about this one" (goes to get another dress, comes back with two, then demands my attention again because my opinion is sooo very important)
"I still like the red one the best. If you don't want to wear it, the silver one would look good as well."
"I'm not sure, what about this green one"
"I think that would look fantastic.. on my grandmother" (then immediately feel chagrined because this is not funny, its serious, we need to leave soon and she needs my help. She tells me this with her eyes. She also tells me she will remember this for at least a week)
"You're going to look beautiful no matter what dress you wear (it was worth a shot, but shes still going to remember). If you don't like the first two I mentioned, wear the black dress. Its classy, beautiful, you'll look great."
skip to the end. She wears none of the dresses I picked. She still looks beautiful and still doesn't feel the least bit fazed that she chose to wear the one dress that I didn't mention. I've tried picking them in reverse from dresses to lamps to colors to freaking food in the grocery store. It doesn't seem to matter. Its always the last thing I would pick. Of course, we divorced (unrelated reasons), so its some other poor fools problem now. ;D

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
Aside from the "dead ender" stuff (things so bad you could never live with this person), I can't stand when a woman asks me for my opinion knowing full well she won't like it. Case in point.
"which dress do you think I should wear?"
"You know I hate this game, why don't you ask which dress I hate the most so you can just pick that one. You'll look beautiful no matter what you choose and you'll never pick what I recomend anyway. "
"No, I'm serious. Tell me which one you like. Theres only three. Which one do you like the most."
"Are you sure about this, you really care what my opinion is?"
"Of course I do, otherwise I wouldn't ask you"
"I like the red one. It sets off your hair and everything, its dead sexy."
"oh, wait what about this one" (goes to get another dress, comes back with two, then demands my attention again because my opinion is sooo very important)
"I still like the red one the best. If you don't want to wear it, the silver one would look good as well."
"I'm not sure, what about this green one"
"I think that would look fantastic.. on my grandmother" (then immediately feel chagrined because this is not funny, its serious, we need to leave soon and she needs my help. She tells me this with her eyes. She also tells me she will remember this for at least a week)
"You're going to look beautiful no matter what dress you wear (it was worth a shot, but shes still going to remember). If you don't like the first two I mentioned, wear the black dress. Its classy, beautiful, you'll look great."

Bad communication is not a gender-specific thing.

The ways in which people are socially taught that bad communication is appropriate definitely differ, sure.  (See Murphy pointing out the stupidity of the whole Harry and Thomas not communicating because it's a guy thing in PG.)

Doesn't mean you can;t legitimately expect people who really care to make the effort to really communicate.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.