Author Topic: Fantasy Pallet  (Read 2934 times)

Offline SlimMason

• Participant
  • I Like Wizards
    • View Profile
Fantasy Pallet
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »
Whenever I read or see anything awesome, like the Dresden Files, I cannot help but immitate it. (immatating in things I think about writing, not actual work.) Being so similar to somone elses work is bad.

Is there an easy way to cleanse your pallet?
The Pigeons are Watching You.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Pallet
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:11 PM »
Shecky's brain bleach from Corrupt a Wish... Enter at your own peril... ;D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Roaram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »
Read something from a different Genre. something totally different maybe, or something kind of different. like for fantasy buffs, try historical fiction/non-fiction. it my not cleanse the pallette so to speak, but history doesn't sue for plagerism. or if you like try a new genre, that way your style does a mix and match with a new genre, making something new rather than rehash other peoples work. Like combine some tom clancey stop-the-terrorist-with-nuke with a fantasy with a fantasy story. some guy peicing together some clues to stop  some rogue group of shadowy figures from piecing together some super spell or something. or cross cousin genres, like watch some horror flick and then write about how  some darkages black smith dealing with his town having some kind of zombie infestation. I mean, if you can,t get the taste of french fries out of your mouth, might as well eat some ketchup

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
Analyze it. Take it apart and see how and why it works. Read Jim's blog on writing. Once you understand what makes it attractive to you it should be easier to incorporate the techniques while keeping the story uniquely your own. To use your own analogy, the problem is not when you use the same pallet, it's when you paint the same (or far too similar) picture.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline THETA

• Conversationalist
  • Insert evil laugh now
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 03:49:29 AM »
Get it out of your system and just allow yourself to keep writing in that style until you exhaust it.  Normally, one of three things will occur.
1) You get cleansed.
2) After awhile you look back on what you've wrote and feel disgusted, erase it and then actively try for your creativity
3) After writing for a while in someone else's style you begin to develop you own

Either way, it's a win/win situation.  Anyways, don't be ashamed, there's plenty of proclaimed authors who were heavily influenced by their contemporaries or authors that expired them in the first place.  You know those discreet little references to Shakespeare, the Bible, Thoreau, Poe, Plato, ect?  They're like an author's way to tip their hats to those who've inspired them or even their text.
The words on the mysterious door read:
"Fancy hearing cake."

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:51:34 AM »
Read more literary fiction.  Lots of sf/f authors throw in some things they've borrowed from mystery/detective novels or spy novels or whatever, so I recommend reading non-genre fiction.  The more different things you read, the more you'll be stealing from everybody instead of just one person.

Offline azjayp

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 03:02:43 AM »
Solid suggestions Roar. I am going to tack on just a little to your suggestion. if you read a lot (which you really should be doing if you want to be a writer) for every book that you read, change the genre and generaly the style of writing. if you just want to read fantasy, though, you can always go from a solid jim butcher book, then switch up the writing style to Melanie Rawn, then throw in a David Gemel and poof, you have many diferent writing styles. if you want to go off to other genres, Leon Ulris has a style all his own that will help, then switch it over to Texas (i forgot the authors name). it will help to be reading such a diverse style of writers

comprex

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 03:46:19 AM »
Is there an easy way to cleanse your pallet?

fork lifts.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
hmmmm, I like that.  Hang on, I'm moving the little nano fork lift in my brain now.  Yeah! That works GREAT.  Look, I even have a teeny tiny wash bay to keep everything clean.  Heading for my memory storage for MSL and Bob's postings as we speak!  Oh nano nano, I'm going to need a whole fleet for that area of my mind! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:00:42 PM »
hmmmm, I like that.  Hang on, I'm moving the little nano fork lift in my brain now.  Yeah! That works GREAT.  Look, I even have a teeny tiny wash bay to keep everything clean.  Heading for my memory storage for MSL and Bob's postings as we speak!  Oh nano nano, I'm going to need a whole fleet for that area of my mind! 

This adds a whole new level of meaning to "NaNotechnology"; microscopic fork lifts with which you write a novel in a month.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.