Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 79490 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.
« Reply #555 on: November 07, 2013, 12:23:45 AM »
Hey guys, Admiral's Revenge just went live on amazon a couple hours ago!  This is the 5th novel in my sci-fi series and my 6th full length novel over all.  Throw in a pair of novellas and I honestly have to say that if you told me two years ago that i'd be a working author with 6 novels and two novellas under my belt I'd have laughed in your face.  Wow just wow.  As far as I'm concerned if I can do it, so can anyone.  So can you!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHQD18O

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #556 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
Rock on, that's fantastic work!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 07, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
Three more chapters, I'm halfway there.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #558 on: November 10, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
1k - Admiral's Lady: Ashes for Ashes, Blood for Blood

Not the greatest production day ever but at least I'm back on the wagon.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 11, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
I've reached 39,416 words on Lady Raven.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #560 on: November 13, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »
2k - Admiral's Lady

The Deposed King

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »
Feel like I'm making better progress on Lady Raven today. 40,944 words.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #562 on: November 13, 2013, 11:00:24 PM »
Feel like I'm making better progress on Lady Raven today. 40,944 words.

Keep after it Wordmaker, you're over the hump.

The Deposed King

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 15, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
Congrats DK!

Cranking out my 1000 a day, plus rough editing the prior days work. Still, I got out of whack because I'm taking an online class requiring 15 pages a week and crits on everyone else's. And, because I really don't know these guys, the assignment of rough shitty draft 15 pages isn't as shitty as normal. I mean, if you've got classmates reading it and the agent teaching it? You spend more time revising and editing even it's still in crappy shape... It's a 12 week class and at 7 weeks, we've weeded out the less serious writers and are down to a hard core of folks plugging out work. (Or perhaps the serious writers are concentrating on their work and not posting or doing critiques. LOL.)

At this point, we're cranking out fresh pages and we're giving each other lots of leeway for shit...  Challenging, fun, but I miss my sole concentration on my work... Yet, I'm getting great feedback weekly.

Best writing all.

Whoever put me onto Chuck's writing thoughts--Thank you. I read them daily as a kick starter, or perhaps a butt kicker would be more appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:23:48 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #564 on: November 15, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
Congrats DK!

Cranking out my 1000 a day, plus rough editing the prior days work. Still, I got out of whack because I'm taking an online class requiring 15 pages a week and crits on everyone else's. And, because I really don't know these guys, the assignment of rough shitty draft 15 pages isn't as shitty as normal. I mean, if you've got classmates reading it and the agent teaching it? You spend more time revising and editing even it's still in crappy shape... It's a 12 week class and at 7 weeks, we've weeded out the less serious writers and are down to a hard core of folks plugging out work. (Or perhaps the serious writers are concentrating on their work and not posting or doing critiques. LOL.)

At this point, we're cranking out fresh pages and we're giving each other lots of leeway for shit...  Challenging, fun, but I miss my sole concentration on my work... Yet, I'm getting great feedback weekly.

Best writing all.

Whoever put me onto Chuck's writing thoughts--Thank you. I read them daily as a kick starter, or perhaps a butt kicker would be more appropriate.

Thanks.  I'm up to a mighty

3k - Admiral's Lady

Its not a lot but it is forward motion.  I hope your writing class helps you get one step closer to achieving your dreams.

The Deposed King

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 16, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »
Two more chapters today, have just stopped for dinner, and am going back to do some more.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 17, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
Two more chapters today, have just stopped for dinner, and am going back to do some more.

And to that we can add four more chapters, which were five before this pass.  That puts me two-thirds of the way through, and I think almost all that's left of this pass is significantly easier.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:17:01 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #567 on: November 19, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »
Couldn't stay focused on Admiral's Lady today so I popped on over and worked on my Falon Rankin series.

I went from 15k to 17k on The Painting.  Mostly in the form of revised and extended what I've already written but hey new words are new words.

The Deposed King

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »
I've considered starting on one of my other series' to give myself ocassional breaks from Lady Raven.

How do you find it, writing multiple books at once?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #569 on: November 19, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
I've considered starting on one of my other series' to give myself ocassional breaks from Lady Raven.

How do you find it, writing multiple books at once?

I tend to focus in on one book exclusively.  I have found that if you are getting burned on one book and producing low word count, that switching to another book/series with the idea that your word count is suffering in the first series due to lack of inspiration, will often spur me on.  Et I write a bit in the other series and either find out I am really inspired to write in the second series or more likely that my lack of 'inspiration' is not series specific and I need to give myself a kick in the pants.

But I will say that there's only so many books in the same series before you are legitimately burned.  I wrote the Falon books because I needed a break from the Admiral.  So I wrote book 1 and the prequel and then switched back to the Admiral and cranked out book 5.

My main point I guess is that whatever series I'm focusing on I drill down until the book is completed.  Then I either write the next one or fish around for a bit and settle on my next book (in whatever series).  I don't tend to write more than one book simultaneously.

Sorry if I rambled too much.

The Deposed King