Author Topic: Antagonists  (Read 13862 times)

Offline mikeryan

• Participant
    • View Profile
Antagonists
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
It's a bit early yet, but I've been brainstorming ideas for what I'd throw at a group of PCs, assuming I can get a game going once the rpg is out. Fortunately, some of the ideas I've had seem to gel fairly well with what Iago has posted regarding the Laws of Magic.

Anyway, I'm going to post the rough notes I have for some bad guys. If you have any villains in mind for your own game, I'd like to hear about them.

As a general rule, I'm going to try to distance my characters from both the White Council and the metaplot of the novels. The reason for this is that most of my potential players haven't read any of the books (but I'm working on that). I'm going to focus on threats that the WC doesn't have the time, resources or inclination to investigate themselves.

1) Werewolves.

I like the Dresdenverse werewolves, especially the Alphas. I figure that since the Alphas are mostly college kids, they'll have friends and family that are based in places other than Chicago. I think werewolfery is then going to spread beyond Chicago, as they initiate others and those others start their own packs in other cities.

Now the Alphas generally just patrol for supernatural threats, but their progeny might not be so discriminating. I'm thinking there are going to be some mundane muggings and serial rapes that are going to be stopped by the local 'wolves. That's all well and good, but there will be violations of the First Law by these well meaning kids, and that's going to lead them down dark paths. Enter the PCs.

2) Half-vampire Mobster.

So there's this mob boss. He's a man of will and determination. Nothing happens in his territory without his say so. The Reds try to take him. Now, he likes the strength and other advantages of the half-turned vampire, but giving in to the Hunger and completing the change doesn't fit in with his other goals. He's a sociopath, but one with free will. He's the master of his own destiny.

3) Assassin Wizard.

He kills people for money. Black magic, right? Not quite. He uses completely mundane tools to get the kill. Guns, knives, piano wire, whatever. He just uses magic to get away with murder. Veils to make sure there are no witnesses. Tracking spells to find his prey. Maybe he gets the Lawbreaker stunts, but they don't hit as hard as they would if he just made his targets bones explode.

4) Wizard cult leader.

I can't remember how the Law is worded, but it's the one that says "No Jedi mind trickery". Well you don't need magic for mind control. Cults have mind control techniques that also work. This guys uses those instead of magic. His modest magical talent is just used to lure new recruits. And his church allows multiple marriages (for him, anyway), so he has dozens of wives who have given him scores of children that have been brainwashed since birth, along with being trained in the art of magic.

Wolfhowls

Re: Antagonists
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:28:06 AM »
I think number 4 is the better of them. Seems you could work more with that one then the rest. The rest seem to be just cut and dry stuff.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
All of them. You can never have too many recurring complications. Seriously. If somethings going too smooth? "Oh expletive, it's the [Black Wizard Assassin Dude]."
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline mikeryan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:42:37 AM »
I think number 4 is the better of them. Seems you could work more with that one then the rest. The rest seem to be just cut and dry stuff.

Point taken, but in my defense I find a little bit of cut-and-dried stuff to be useful in introducing new players to a game, especially since they aren't familiar with the world.

The werewolves were meant to be a straightforward illustration of the perils of black magic, even when used with the best intentions. I still see them as one shot villains, most likely in the introductory sessions.

The cult leader I hope to flesh out into a recurring villain. The other two, I'm not sure yet. What I posted was just some initial brainstorming ideas. Once the game comes out, I'll either flesh them out more or decide to scrap them entirely.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »
Point taken, but in my defense I find a little bit of cut-and-dried stuff to be useful in introducing new players to a game, especially since they aren't familiar with the world.

The werewolves were meant to be a straightforward illustration of the perils of black magic, even when used with the best intentions. I still see them as one shot villains, most likely in the introductory sessions.

The cult leader I hope to flesh out into a recurring villain. The other two, I'm not sure yet. What I posted was just some initial brainstorming ideas. Once the game comes out, I'll either flesh them out more or decide to scrap them entirely.

Very True. Maybe you can combine the four together. Make something look cut and dry but has a darker meaning to it.

MatthewD44

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »
you can also bring in the Fey with some of the lesser Sidhe coming around from time to time.

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »
Also remember that cut-and-dried doesn't have to be.  After all, Thomas was pretty cut-and-dried when we were first introduced to him.

Take your half-vampire mobster, for example.  When the party first meets him, he's the worst possible cross between Bianca and Marcone.  Ruthless, brutal, and cold.  The second time they meet him, though, they actually are reluctant allies, both fighting his sire (the PCs trying to beat down evil, the mobster just trying to get out from under his sire's thumb).  A bit later, the mobster actually comes to the PCs for help.  He's come to respect them, see, and thinks they can help him control the Hunger.  Have him open with an offer of employment (I've actually always wanted to see an alternate universe where Harry accepted Marcone's offer from Fool Moon).  Depending on how things go, he can either then try to appeal to their better natures, or he can turn to blackmail and/or kidnapping hostages to force them to help him.  Ultimately, he could end up as an ally.  Which could create all kinds of complications, as the other supernatural denizens then assume the PCs also share his morality...

MatthewD44

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:11 AM »
Honestly I think it all comes down to basic character develop both in RPG settings and also in books. Just start out with a basic sketch of a "bad" guy/girl then attempt to get into their head so to speak. And Samldanach just gave a great idea on how to do that..

Offline mikeryan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 03:47:47 AM »
Take your half-vampire mobster, for example. 

That's actually the direction I was leaning. And I was thinking about giving the assassin ties to the White Council. He kills people, but not with magic. And the Council needs all the help that they can get, so they let it slide. That doesn't matter to the PCs, who are after him because people are dead.

But enough about my guys. Does anyone else want to post their own ideas? And not just so that I can steal ideas. I'm honestly curious what people intend to throw against their players.

MatthewD44

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 04:44:51 AM »
Well I am doomed to live in a town with no gamers, there are times I really hate this town just for the lack of individuals that have my tastes in fun.
But if I were going to run something, I would have to go with a plot that deals with one of the lesser frey being involved with some shady guys in the shipping industry...

Offline hollow49

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »
1) Werewolves.

I like the Dresdenverse werewolves, especially the Alphas. I figure that since the Alphas are mostly college kids, they'll have friends and family that are based in places other than Chicago. I think werewolfery is then going to spread beyond Chicago, as they initiate others and those others start their own packs in other cities.

Now the Alphas generally just patrol for supernatural threats, but their progeny might not be so discriminating. I'm thinking there are going to be some mundane muggings and serial rapes that are going to be stopped by the local 'wolves. That's all well and good, but there will be violations of the First Law by these well meaning kids, and that's going to lead them down dark paths. Enter the PCs.

I'm not sure that taking werewolf form to attack an enemy is a violation of the First Law. You aren't rendering the enemy helpless by magic, nor harming them directly with your power, just giving yourself an advantage. Personally I would rule this as on a level as creating a magically enhanced weapon for combat - and since that includes the Warden's swords, I rather think that it's one step too far removed for First Law to apply.

Offline mikeryan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »
I'm not sure that taking werewolf form to attack an enemy is a violation of the First Law. You aren't rendering the enemy helpless by magic, nor harming them directly with your power, just giving yourself an advantage. Personally I would rule this as on a level as creating a magically enhanced weapon for combat - and since that includes the Warden's swords, I rather think that it's one step too far removed for First Law to apply.

I see your point, and I don't disagree. However, I am thinking of including elements of intent on Lawbreaking. And beyond that, I make a distinction between what the Council thinks of as law breaking and what the game mechanics require for the stunts.

For the stunts, intent in a big thing (as always, in my game. YMMV). If you intend to kill someone and you use magic to achieve that goal, that counts as a Lawbreaker stunt. It doesn't matter if you take wolf form to hunt down a serial rapist or forge a magic sword or blast them with fire.

Just forging the sword or taking wolf form doesn't count for the stunt. You have to actually try to use it to kill someone. Yes, this means that Wardens will be wracking up Lawbreaker stunts. But they don't go around killing indiscriminately. They pick their targets, and take people for trial when they can.

We've seen that as long as you have a positive refresh rate, you retain free will. And I assume (going by SotC as a model) that advancement will be in the form of receiving new Aspects, which will improve your refresh rate. So it is possible to repeatedly break the Laws and not become a monster. Good thing too, or the Blackstaff would be one scary dude.

In the eyes of the Council, killing someone in self defense or the defense of others is a loop hole that lets you get away with black magic. That doesn't mitigate the damage to your soul (the stunts), but it does give you a "get out of decapitation free" card.

Offline NevynK

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 05:28:47 AM »
Right I had a couple of ideas for possible villians

1. Rich business mogul with a powerful warlock as his cronie. Trump tries to corner the market using mind altering magics, the WC is too busy to handle him but some of the people affected by his actions happen to take offense and take action. Give my PC some leeway to create characters and back stories. Weave it together to have them meet up and eventually confront the Mogul and his goons, or somehow sabotoge him or any other myriad of possible endings.

2. Evil Teacher w/magic kiddies. Cheesy I know but it works for introducing people to the world. The evil teacher takes a few kids on a "field trip" and tries to enthrall them knowing their potential. Kids have limited, babyish abilities and have to work together to get away from the teach and to safety. Probably segue characters into a magic group for future games.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 04:19:21 AM »
Lots of ideas pulled from other games:

1.Preserve nature:  The local fae are in need of your services, a normal meeting/ceremonial/portal area is in danger due to unsanctioned waste disposal.  Convince the mortals to quit dumping on their land or the fae will get nasty.  You could turn this around and have the PC(s) hired by the waste disposal firm to find out who has been sabotaging their operation...not every part of a complex machine is made of iron based material (hoses/belts/tires...you get the idea).  Greedy industrialists or vengeful fae?

2.Everyone loves a Cult: With so many options to choose from, it's going to be hard but think about something really nasty for an outsider...C'thulu, everyones favourite tentacle monster, well maybe not that nasty but bad, bad, bad.  Runaways and homeless people have been disappearing in increasing numbers.  Come to find out there's a blood sacrifice planned or is already in the works as a progressive (gotta beat the clock) deal.  Megalomaniac cult leader and his creepy groupies fill out the cast.

A lot can be pulled from the literature, Trolls are going to be a nice thing to play with I think.  Vamps less so, I think they're better in ones and twos rather than whole clans/tribes/etc.  Just like anything else in the RPG lineup, there's no limit to what you can throw at the PCs as long as you can shoehorn it into the 'verse and make it fun.

Offline Red_Breaker

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
Bad guys for my game?  I've got a dozen ideas.  These two are my favorites so far:

#1. The Ghost in the Machine
This one started out as a fairly mundane thing.  A wizard who came into his powers late had real trouble dealing with the magic-makes-tech-go-screwy aspect of his existence, as he was a total technophile prior to his discovery.  After his apprenticeship, he bends all thought to getting around this problem, and eventually hits the solution.  He takes himself on a nice long journey through the Nevernever, and finally hits the place where old technology goes to die.  There, he made contact with a . . . something . . . that didn't want to go quietly into that long night, and cut a deal with him to stay relevant.  So empowered with great technological hoodoo, said wizard returns and starts breaking the technology that made his cthonic master obsolete.  I'm thinking said technology should be something important, like, say, automobiles.  Or telecommunications satellites.

#2. The Death of Fire
The old gods have decided to press issues.  Prometheus stole the Divine Fire from the gods, and now the gods want it back.  Electricity stops working.  Fire follows soon after.  Only magic can conjure fire, and that makes wizards popular real fast.  The White Council flips out, snapped fairly neatly down the middle between 'We could be as messiahs to these people!' and 'Let's help them help themselves, shall we?'  Only hope is a long quest into the Nevernever to get the Divine Fire back.
Red_Breaker

Helpful Summoning Tip #8
Most demons don't get summoned very often.  If you're concerned about your safety, a gun is a great thing to keep around.  Most demons haven't figured out what to do when confronted with a nickel-plated nine.