Author Topic: Antagonists  (Read 13771 times)

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
Re: Antagonists
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »
Bad guys for my game?  I've got a dozen ideas.  These two are my favorites so far:

#2. The Death of Fire
The old gods have decided to press issues.  Prometheus stole the Divine Fire from the gods, and now the gods want it back.  Electricity stops working.  Fire follows soon after.  Only magic can conjure fire, and that makes wizards popular real fast.  The White Council flips out, snapped fairly neatly down the middle between 'We could be as messiahs to these people!' and 'Let's help them help themselves, shall we?'  Only hope is a long quest into the Nevernever to get the Divine Fire back.

Fire not working in and of itself should stop the production of electricity (considering how the vast majority of electrical power is produced), but if electricity stopped working everything with a central nervous system would immediately fall down dead.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 09:08:14 PM »
I like the 'Fire not Working' thing... interesting.
So I have two main thoughts right now.  First is for a shorter introductory story arc, second a much larger scale recurring villain, but definately off-the-charts into 'untouchable'.  The first, at least, will be long, as I want to describe the story as well.

1.) Many unexplained bank robberies over the past several months, from different local banks.  No holdups, just money is GONE.  Now, however, a security guard was found dead behind the most recent bank to be 'hit'.  Agent from a group consisting of the local bank owners and managers comes to the PCs (one wants to be a PI... yay!).  Agent indicates that police are looking into it, and at least one more detective agency is, but unusual circumstances regarding the death caused one of the owners to suggest the PC detective, whom he had heard of as looking into 'unusual' cases.

PCs are told that the dead security guard was autopsied and found that most of his heart was missing, with no sign of external injuries.  The heart was found in the alley with the man.  This info is not released, and the police believe that something else is going on, like someone screwed up somehow at the scene, but they are reporting a heart attack to the press.

Upon investigation, PCs can discover through careful searching of video cameras that one young man is at every crime scene.  Already long story short:  this young man is naturally Gifted, and has learned to use his mind to focus on a spatial area and transport whatever is there to him (over short distances).  He has been using this skill to steal money, and when a guard happened upon him, he reacted by doing the same to the man's heart.

So we have a young man who has been stealing, and who broke the 1st law.  Don't know if my player's characters will know about the Laws, but even so, they will certainly be looking for him to resolve the case.

Characters shouldn't find out until resolution that the boy lives at home with his mother and deathly ill sister, who is now getting treatment because of the money the boy was stealing.  The intent is, again, an introduction.  They get an intro to magic, sleuthing (simple case), consequences of magic, and finally that there are many motivations for the NPCs, and it's not always just greed.

2.) This is the crazy one.  I won't go into story here, though, as he should be a recurring factor.  The bank owner who suggested that the agent contact our detective PC in the story above is actually more of a baddie than just a businessman. :)  He's actually a demon.  Yes, a lying-to-badness demon.  In fact, he is part of what you might call the 'High Court' of Hell, taken form on earth and meddling however he's allowed.  That's kind of the crux, though.  The PCs shouldn't know what is allowed for the <truly> higher powers like angels and demons.  In this case, he isn't allowed to directly harm any of them.  He uses his position, power, and influence to both toy with them and get them to work for him, though they don't usually realize it.  And probably fairly early on he'll show up in a Marcone-esque way at the scene of a supernatural battle and show his true self (though rather than a mortal among nasties, this would be more like Godzilla among gekkos)... just so he can later rub their noses in working for him and helping him as he goes about his evil badness...

Too much?
:D
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 09:34:19 PM »
Some other cut-and-dried ideas:

#1 I’m still stuck on the passing comment in the beginning of Storm Front that in 1994 the city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin disappeared off the face of the earth for 2 hours in an "unseely incursion" - what would cause that?  An experiment gone wrong? The Unseely court must have had help from this side of the Nevernever.  What did the Fae want with Milwaukee? I'm trying to remember when Gen Con left Milwaukee - wouldn't it be fun to take an entire international gaming convention to the Nevernever?  Might get your non-Butcher reading gamers to relate (bring in all your favorite stereo type gamers as NPCs).  ;D

#2 Evil Artifact - Bob isn't the only spirit with some knowledge - maybe there are other spirit homes with some not-so-helpful spirits trapped in them.  Either one character inherits the cursed thing and starts giving the group information that endangers their lives (spells with protective parts missing, gives them true names of demons who will 'help' the characters), a warlock comes looking for the thing, or the characters are contacted by a distraught family who bought the thing and are now at each other's throats, giving each one a bad attitude and access to uncontrolled magic.  Can the characters stop the family from killing each other and get the spirit's home away from them before it's too late? 

#3  (Maybe for beginners) The Quest - the characters come into a treasure map (GM's decision as to what the final prize is - if there is one at all - Fae do like to play tricks you know...) The map has riddles and paths into and out of the Nevernever.  Is your group Like Dresden and have financial worries to consider?  Maybe the only thing they walk away with is a little wisdom or maybe Al Capone (insert your favorite bandit rogue) really did squirrel away some cash for a rainy day... You can add as many complications to this as befits your game group.

#4 The 'Unexploded Bomb' - An old enchantment meant to protect an old building that used to be the home of a worlock will be activated if city hall gets its way.  Can the characters stop it from protecting itself before the city demolition crew activates the full power of the magic?  If the wrecking crew goes in, it turns into a rescue attempt against the spirits whose sole purpose is to trap/killed the people inside.

#5 Fire up the Way-Back Machine - Never Swim Against the Flow of Time - There is a warlock who is breaking one of the laws of magic BIG TIME.  He has created a doorway back to the past to change something - can the group stop him without drawing the attention of the wardens in both 'time zones'?  The group would have to figure out what he is trying to stop/start without drawing any attention to themselves.  Lets hope your group is not subtlety challenged.

#2-4 would be shorter mods that could be modified for any group power level.  #3 and #4 can be almost straight 'dungeon crawl' mods if your players trend that way.  Of course you can always throw in some deux ex machina as well - one of the 'innocent' bystanders is secretly a warlock/changeling/vampire...etc.  Your reoccuring bad guy can be secretly behind this plot and looking to get the group killed/arrested/annoyed...you get the idea.

Hope that helps.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 03:35:27 AM »
Sorry about that prophet224,

jumped a little ahead of myself and didn't comment on your idea.  I kinda like the Working-for-the-bad-guy-without-knowing-it, angle.  Gives a little more politics to the plot.

He's actually a demon.  Yes, a lying-to-badness demon.  In fact, he is part of what you might call the 'High Court' of Hell, taken form on earth and meddling however he's allowed.  That's kind of the crux, though.  The PCs shouldn't know what is allowed for the <truly> higher powers like angels and demons.  In this case, he isn't allowed to directly harm any of them.  He uses his position, power, and influence to both toy with them and get them to work for him, though they don't usually realize it.

I don't know if you need to make him a demon though, or to go into the hierarchy of hell.  The more powerful members of the White Court Vamps would enjoy something like that too.  I think a major baddie like a demon would be something to hand over to the wardens or the Knights of the Cross for their watch list.  Although it would be interesting to take a page from the TV series and postulate that the White Council does know about him and has made a truce of some kind.  If the players go running to the wardens they are told, "Yes, Yes, we know about this guy - but is he actually breaking a law of magic?" - no - "Well I'm sorry we can't help you, but that kid you found is definitely out of luck."

The Knights of the Cross would take it more seriously I think.  Still if all the bad guy is doing, is tempting people, offering them their heart's desires I got the impression that they wouldn't take direct action either...You could put another twist of the knife in the story and if the characters aren't careful with the thief/kid when they catch him (like they turn him in to the police and the "banker" promptly drops the charges if...), the "banker" offers to fund curing his sister in exchange for his soul - "You killed that man son, your going to hell anyway, why not seal the deal now and give your sister a chance?  Hmm?  How much worse could it be than the guilt your living with now?"

Then the Thief/kid could come back later as a reluctant villain, bound to do his masters bidding, he now tempts other people...*cue evil laughter*
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »
Hey, thanks for commenting at all! ;) I like your tweaks, too.  Thanks!

See, the main reason I want him to be THAT bad is for the feel.  The characters may know they are little fish in a big pond, but just knowing that he is an actual demon throws alot of questions at them.  Before that, though, it opens up that there really truly is a "whole 'nother" playing field beyond what even they (as 'awakened', for lack of a better word) know.  The dawning realization of just how truly small they are in the universal scheme should be fascinating, while the fact that this deity-level (with a little 'd') being has taken an interest in them should pull them up closer to everything too, not making them feel like what they do doesn't matter.

After that, the characters walk through life looking at things with an even more slightly different eye than everyone else, and know that there is something going on out there with rules they can't even begin to guess, and players they can't even be on the field with.  Tip of the iceberg... showing them his true self is like sticking your head in the water near that iceberg... you get a sense of the vastness, but not of what it really is...

Another thought, too... so the players run to the White Council and they go "Uhm... yeah... just ignore him. They're around here and there." because even the Council can't play at that level.  But the players can still try, and who knows what might happen.  It would be great to have a Knight in that one...  THEY might have a chance.

*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 01:34:47 AM »
#2. The Death of Fire
The old gods have decided to press issues.  Prometheus stole the Divine Fire from the gods, and now the gods want it back.  Electricity stops working.  Fire follows soon after.  Only magic can conjure fire, and that makes wizards popular real fast.  The White Council flips out, snapped fairly neatly down the middle between 'We could be as messiahs to these people!' and 'Let's help them help themselves, shall we?'  Only hope is a long quest into the Nevernever to get the Divine Fire back.
I smell a crossover with the works of S.M.Stirling.  ;D

Hey, I just had a great idea for a 'bad guy' with some moral complexity - how about a Frankestien-type construct, either actively killing people, or just quietly existing, albiet as a MAJOR violation of the no-necromancy law? Or, the necromancer could be the villain, with the construct being a side character?
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline DDR

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 12:38:52 AM »
My villains have always been preachers.   Not sure what that says about me.

But I think at least one bad guy will be an ultra-conservative preacher with a son that has some magical ability which the father takes as being possessed by the devil.  I hope at least one of the players takes a Michael like character.  Then I can play pure faith off of nut case faith.  If the players get the son away from the father, then the father would be ripe for making a deal with powers he believes are on the right side.  I’m sure that would lead to some fun interaction somehow.

That needs some more work.  But it is at least a start.

I like the ideas I have seen posted here too.  Lots of seeds for good ideas.

Devin

Offline harleshade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »
Well this is why we need this game to get out and in print because there are so many potental Antagonists and ways to introduce them that it is part of what will make this game great.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »
The best villains are the ones that sneak up on the good guys.  The ones who seem harmless, or even worse, seem cute and attractive.  We like them, we could never suspect them.  They are beneath the radar.

Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.