Author Topic: MS Word  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
  • Donald Morgan's Demented Prodigy
    • View Profile
MS Word
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
Does it ever really piss you off? LOL Right now I have a quad gap in my MS (Manuscript) I can't fix and it randomly changes settings on me, including having set my freaking spell checker to UK English. Which I've changed TWICE!! (First time it was French!! LMAO)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: MS Word
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
The only thing about it that bothers me is that it creates uneven bottom margins at the end of a page. I'm sure there's a very easy fix for this, but I haven't discovered it.

As for your settings randomly changing, I have no idea. Virus, maybe?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
MS Word wants to be a text formatter and a word processor at the same time, which is I think the root of most of what's wrong with it.  This is why I actually write things in emacs and only import them into Word when dealing with people who want Word documents.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
The only thing about it that bothers me is that it creates uneven bottom margins at the end of a page. I'm sure there's a very easy fix for this, but I haven't discovered it.

As for your settings randomly changing, I have no idea. Virus, maybe?

I have to admit; this would not terribly surprise me. XD I'm quite cavalier about protection in cyberspace, unfortunately. :/

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
Word is quite an unstable program for novel-length stuff, actually - numerous people have said that it tends to crash/corrupt files after a certain wordcount, and splitting into different files removes the utility of find/replace and other stuff.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:12:13 PM »
What's the top wordcount? I've gone well over 120K with no problem. Granted, I use my writing laptop as basically a glorified typewriter and don't take it online at all so viruses an so on are not an issue; when I need to upload files I use a flash drive and move them from one computer to another.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »
I think what you are talking about is the "Widow/Orphan" control, which makes sure that there are no single paragraph lines at the top or bottom of a page.  It can be found in the "Line and Page Breaks" tab of the "Line Spacing Options" Window.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
What's the top wordcount? I've gone well over 120K with no problem. Granted, I use my writing laptop as basically a glorified typewriter and don't take it online at all so viruses an so on are not an issue; when I need to upload files I use a flash drive and move them from one computer to another.

Hmm. I've never done anything that long in Word, so my knowledge comes second-hand. Its just what I've heard. I use Scrivener instead.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »
I think what you are talking about is the "Widow/Orphan" control, which makes sure that there are no single paragraph lines at the top or bottom of a page.  It can be found in the "Line and Page Breaks" tab of the "Line Spacing Options" Window.

GOD! I. Hate. That. Shit!

Most agents/editors will shoot you if you keep that on. Some ask that you do however (why the hell you would is beyond me), so always check preferences.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know about the widow/orphan thing, and will definitely disable it!

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »
Also, I have to keep auto-save feature on, because my comp's a POS and suddenly freezes/crashes. I LOVE the way it works. >_> You know, type two words 'Auto-Recovery is saving Word File', type two more, 'Auto-Recovery is...' and so on. It may not be an issue on a faster/newer comp, but it REALLY screws with my writing when it does that crap. >_> Just added that, LOL

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:14:33 AM »
I usually just use WordPad. :P

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline Mote

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »
Asides from a few formatting frustrations, (usually caused by me messing something up or trying to change something after the fact,) Word has never given me much trouble, though admittedly, my version of Word is now officially 13 years old. I've also had 120K word long documents saved on it without any crashes, corruption or general hijinks.

I'm not entirely sure howWord got such an apparently hideous reputation, as most of the things I see complained about aren't things I've had issues with. Could be some versions are more stable than others.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »
I'm not entirely sure howWord got such an apparently hideous reputation
Neither am I; as I mentioned upthread my issues with it have been pretty trivial. Maybe it's one of those "anything popular must be bad" things.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
Neither am I; as I mentioned upthread my issues with it have been pretty trivial. Maybe it's one of those "anything popular must be bad" things.

Personally, I like it up until the 2003-version. I have worked for Microsoft, and I absolutely HATE the UI in the 2007/2010-versions (can't find the stuff I need). Not to mention the stupid docx-format. What was right in 2010-version was that it had the ability to make PDF's built-in, even though you could get the same function with freeware like CutePDF. And yes the previous Microsoft attempt to make something pdf-equivalent is the most asinine piece of crap I have ever experienced.
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...