Author Topic: MS Word  (Read 5757 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: MS Word
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
I'm not entirely sure howWord got such an apparently hideous reputation, as most of the things I see complained about aren't things I've had issues with.

Because it's a pig to work with if you were trained on using a text editor first and a format-for-printing program second; it drives me crazy to disable all the ways it will try to "fix" all my first drafts when I do not at that point care, for example, about the widows and orphans thing because I am likely going to be changing the text enough to alter that anyway.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Nadeem6

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
What programs do you all like if MS word isn't worthwhile.  And what format to editors prefer to have documents sent as?

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 03:08:12 AM »
I use Wordperfect, and have done so for years. Very rarely have problems with it.....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »
What programs do you all like if MS word isn't worthwhile.

I use emacs for handling text, novels and professional both.  Used to use Protext for a while, when I worked primarily in DOS.

And what format to editors prefer to have documents sent as?

Editors i have dealt with want the damn thing printed out, and so long as the font and spacing and page numbering and headers and so forth are in the specified formats, sfaict could not care less what program you use to get it that way.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:35 AM »
Neither am I; as I mentioned upthread my issues with it have been pretty trivial. Maybe it's one of those "anything popular must be bad" things.
Same for me. The only problems I have is that it will do things that I don't know about, nor know how to use. Often I find myself doing something that takes forever while I mutter to myself, "I know it can do this, but I don't know how to make it do it!"  I love find function, replace function, and tracking. What I'd love to learn is how to compare two documents and have it show me the differences. I know it can do it, but...  Well, it just gives me a headache.  I'd also like to search out grammar errors; like click a button and have it scroll to them automatically. I'm sure it can do it, but I haven't figured out how.

I was thrilled to have discovered how to use page break, and there can't be anything easier to do. It only took me ten blankety-blank years to learn it. I'm old enough to automatically drop two spaces in after a period. Thankfully, I've worked my way out of it, but I was inordinately proud when I figured out that I could search for double blanks.

AND if you are sweet enough to try to teach me, don't go too far our of your way. I also can't seem to learn anything unless I stumble across it on my own. OTOH, if you know how to turn off the grammar underlining for contractions, such as I'm or they'd or hadn't, that would be freaking awesome.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Nadeem6

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »
Thank you all for the responses, i appreciate them.  I will start looking into the software's suggested.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 03:05:58 AM »
I know Penguin uses Word in-house and with its freelancers.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »
Hmm. I've never done anything that long in Word, so my knowledge comes second-hand. Its just what I've heard. I use Scrivener instead.

I've just discovered Scrivener!  I have always used Word.  I'm no expert at Word, but mostly I like it for writing prose.  I hate it for handling any kind of images, though.  People still try to do that, for some reason.

I'm intrigued by Scrivener's organizational focus, though.  I'm in the trial period right now, but I think I'm sold on it.  They'll have my money at the end of the trial period.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
Going to have to give Scrivener a try....I'm 12 Chapters in and with a large cast and events plus my poor memory I'm floundering trying to keep organized...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
Recently, I've found Scrivener slightly lacking as a word processor - I find I'm more creative and writing is easier when I'm using word. So I just write stuff in word and copy-paste into Scrivener. Seems to be working fine, and gives me a better idea of scene length and pacing than just using Scrivener.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 01:56:04 AM »
I've found with the free microsoft word 2007 that around 130k it says the document is too long and it stops red underlining misspelled words but that's the only thing I'm aware of.

I started out with Works Word Processor also by microsoft cause it wouldn't green underline all the things I was doing wrong.  Then as i got better switched over to word.  But I never would have improved using word.  Just a personal little tick i guess.

the Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)