Author Topic: Power Rewrite: Physical Immunity  (Read 18840 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Power Rewrite: Physical Immunity
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:45 AM »
Looks pretty good to me. I'll probably make a couple of tiny edits when I reformat this (which I will do tomorrow), but they will indeed be tiny.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »
More comments:
  • Some entries are vague.  For example, does "immunity to attack from all but genderless beings" cover physical, mental, and social, as it implies?  If so, that's a darn good deal.
  • You have insanity listed twice (-5, -13).  One of them (possibly the erroneous one) has a cost greater than full mental immunity.
  • You have distractions listed twice.  And do distractions actually deal stress to be immune from?  (I would think a distraction would be covered by a maneuver.) 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 06:19:51 AM »
Reformat here.

Immunity to things that bypass Toughness can be handled with other Powers.

IMMUNITY [-varies]
Description: You are completely immune to some form of harm.
Note: The cost examples provided here are intended for the hypothetical average game. In unusual games, they may need to be adjusted. In some rare cases, it may qualify as a Compel when this Power does not apply.
Skills Affected: Many.
Effects:
Immunity. Pick a type of stress. You are immune to that type of stress. This may prevent certain maneuvers and blocks from functioning, at the GM's discretion.
Variable Cost. The cost of this Power depends on the type of stress selected.
  • Completely trivial immunities, like drunk-ness or bad smells, are free.
  • Very narrow ones, like monkey wrenches or seduction attempts or falling damage, cost 1 Refresh.
  • Narrow immunities like poison or acid or magically induced despair cost 2 Refresh.
  • Immunity to a single common thing, like metal weaponry or explosions or fear, costs 3 Refresh.
  • Immunity to a broad group of things, like the physical attacks of the undead or mental magic, costs 4 Refresh.
  • Immunity to an extremely broad group of things, like all magic (including indirect spells) or all unarmed attacks, costs 5 Refresh.
  • Immunity to everything (on a single stress track) except something very common, like the attacks of women, costs 6 Refresh.
  • Immunity to everything (on a single stress track) except something unusual, like the attacks of immortal beings, costs 7 Refresh.
  • Immunity to everything (on a single stress track) with a small loophole, like the attacks of genderless beings, costs 8 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all mental stress costs 9 Refresh, while immunity to all physical stress costs 13 Refresh.
  • Immunity to both costs 20 Refresh.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:01:51 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
A list is easier to read as a list than it is to read as a wall of text.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »

Totally agreed.

Mutants and masterMinds/Herosystems/Freak Legion did it right.  A list works best with a similar format to what I used.  I'm not saying mine was perfect.  It wasn't.

Should likely note: that complete immunities need an equivalebnt to a +0 catch.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
Becq: Immunity doesn't require stress beign dealt to work.

It can work on "being moved".  It can work like Juggernaut "unstoppable" - immunity to being stopped once in motion.

Etc.

It is a catch all.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
The book's version only affects stress and consequences.  I guess Sanctaphrax's version might include maneuvers, if the GM chooses to, so the new version of immunity makes immunity even more powerful, since you can't even perform maneuvers against the target (in order to escape, for example).

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2012, 03:24:55 AM »
The book's version only affects stress and consequences.  I guess Sanctaphrax's version might include maneuvers, if the GM chooses to, so the new version of immunity makes immunity even more powerful, since you can't even perform maneuvers against the target (in order to escape, for example).

You mean my version...

I wanted the revision, because I do not like the book version.  Some versions of immunity will be that powerful.  Some will be less powerful.  Say: Immunity to grapples.

Some may have complete immunity to stress and maneuvers from a certain type of attack.

Some may only have immunity to the manuevers or only the stress.  This new table is supposed to be flexible nad represent a way to accomplish an immunity to ANYTHING.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2012, 03:28:02 AM »
If immunity to maneuvers (of a specified type) are intended to be included as an option but not intended to be assumed to be included in all options, then that needs to be made far more clear, and new entries should be included to reflect the various options.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:09 AM »

I was worried about that.

I like the text block, but I guess I'm weird. Will reformat.

As for the other posts, the maneuver immunity here is just common sense stuff. If I'm bulletproof I can't be affected by a PINNED DOWN WITH GUNFIRE maneuver.

I guess I could rewrite the power to include real maneuver immunity, but I'm not sure how to do that.

PS: The idea of the complete immunities here is that they're really complete barring ACaEBG-style shenanigans. Do you think that they should be more expensive, given that?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »
As for the other posts, the maneuver immunity here is just common sense stuff. If I'm bulletproof I can't be affected by a PINNED DOWN WITH GUNFIRE maneuver.
But you might be able to be affected by a 'Distracted by a thousand lead mosquitos' maneuver.
And I'm rather at a loss for how I'd justify total immunity to physical maneuvers.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2012, 05:05:23 AM »
I agree, mostly.

I do think that overwhelming power could justify physical maneuver immunity though. Immunity, in this case, is basically an abstraction for a defence roll of 50 or some other ludicrous number.

Though on second thought, that might not work so well when people want to use thaumaturgy or a bazillion FP.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
Being immune to soulfire effects or ACAEBG should be noted as costing more...or not allowed one of the two.

I supposed in an effort to make people happy we should come up with a cost .  This whole system for Immunity is optional anyhow: people will pick and choose what they want - so we might as well include the option.  Just note that it may be overpowered.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2012, 06:16:17 AM »
Being immune to soulfire effects or ACAEBG should be noted as costing more...or not allowed one of the two.

We have that custom Power. Costs 2 Refresh, IIRC. Does that sound sensible to you?

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
But you might be able to be affected by a 'Distracted by a thousand lead mosquitos' maneuver.
And I'm rather at a loss for how I'd justify total immunity to physical maneuvers.

I agree. While someone may not take physical damage, they are still subject to the laws of physics. Therefore, someone with physical immunity to unarmed attacks could be TRIPPED, THROWN, or HELD DOWN if a manuever was successful. The rewrites should reflect this.