2 (8.7%)
Loathe it - it's pretentious and annoying as hell to read
9 (39.1%)
Don't mind it - in the hands of a skilled writer, it can be made to work
12 (52.2%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Present tense  (Read 5783 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Present tense
« on: May 09, 2007, 09:58:54 PM »
I was wondering what you all felt about this.  Personally, I go with option 2 - trying to read a novel written in the present tense makes me nervous and jittery, as though I'm wired on too much caffeine.  Plus, there doesn't seem to be any concrete reason for it, except to be "different".
Well, OK, Damon Runyon could pull it off. :)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Present tense
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:05:14 PM »
Rumer Godden is a master of using different tenses for different threads of a narrative (In "China Court", a family history as well as a history of the house that family lived in, she used the present tense in flashbacks to the past, the past tense for the present and sometimes she'd shift to the future tense when she was describing rooms in the house and the events that took place in them, almost as if it were being described from the POV of the house observing the family activities), but I'll admit, it can take a little getting used to.

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »
Interestingly enough, Hugh Laurie (yes, the guy who plays House) wrote a book a while back and used the present tense. I found it to be enjoyable, though slightly difficult to follow. I think that might have been because he had a huge assemble of characters, though.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »
I have only attempted a couple of books that were written in present tense and I just couldn't do it. I found it too distracting and artificial. I have not read anything by the authors mentioned above, so I might change my mind.

-paul

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »
Oh wow what's Laurie's book about? I have to get a copy of that.

I've read present tense stuff and liked it. I've also read novels that switched back and forth. There's a Star Trek novel, who's title escapes me, that prominentlly features Doctor McCoy, and it's set mostlly on a world with genetically enhanced assasins. When the novel switches to an assasin's pov it's present tense. I thought that really helped get you into the assasin's mind frame.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
Rumer Godden is a master of using different tenses for different threads of a narrative (In "China Court", a family history as well as a history of the house that family lived in, she used the present tense in flashbacks to the past, the past tense for the present and sometimes she'd shift to the future tense when she was describing rooms in the house and the events that took place in them, almost as if it were being described from the POV of the house observing the family activities), but I'll admit, it can take a little getting used to.

Rumer Godden was a genius. (Is ? I have no idea whether she's still alive).

I find novels in the present tense a bit irritating, unless there's a good reason for them to be so, and I don't think it adds to immediacy, really.  I'd never write a whole novel in it, I think, but sometimes a specific viewpoint character wants to be in present.  Angels, for some reason, seem to want that a lot.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:55:48 PM »
Rumer Godden was a genius. (Is ? I have no idea whether she's still alive).

I find novels in the present tense a bit irritating, unless there's a good reason for them to be so, and I don't think it adds to immediacy, really.  I'd never write a whole novel in it, I think, but sometimes a specific viewpoint character wants to be in present.  Angels, for some reason, seem to want that a lot.

Was, actually. She passed away in 1997 or 1998, if I remember correctly.

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
Oh wow what's Laurie's book about? I have to get a copy of that.

I've read present tense stuff and liked it. I've also read novels that switched back and forth. There's a Star Trek novel, who's title escapes me, that prominentlly features Doctor McCoy, and it's set mostlly on a world with genetically enhanced assasins. When the novel switches to an assasin's pov it's present tense. I thought that really helped get you into the assasin's mind frame.

Called "The Gun Seller" and when I went to look through it again, I realized that it's really more of a weird mix between a story being told in the present tense but using the past tense to tell it. I know, that doesn't make any sense at all. Sorry. Look up the excerpt on amazon to see what I mean. But it's a fun read. I'd recommend it.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:02:16 AM »
I hate it. Can't read the author of Fight Club because of this, even though it's one of my favourite movies.

Max Barry is the only one where I could stomach it, and I've still put the book down several times.

Note: Short stories or brief segments for narrative purposes...ok.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
 :D Fight Club! I knew I'd read an entire book in present tense. That said, and I never say this, the movie was actually better.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 05:18:53 PM »
:D Fight Club! I knew I'd read an entire book in present tense. That said, and I never say this, the movie was actually better.

I think you're OK to say that, given that Chuck Palahniuk has said in public that he agrees with you.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 05:36:50 AM »

I like it, and have used it a few times. It's a bit overbearing in novel form, but can be quite powerful in short work.
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »
I had completely forgotten, in my earlier answer, how much of Accelerando is in present tense, and I have read and enjoyed that, definitely. So I need to change my answer a bit.

Offline Sidara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »
It drives me absolutely nuts and I find it unreadable if done for an entire novel.  Short stories or interludes, fine.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »
I hate it.  It's difficult to read, and it screws up all the verbs.  It's almost as annoying as a story written in 2nd person.  Almost.

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?